Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2020, 16:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rapido launches Bike Taxi services in Mumbai

Rapido has launched its bike taxi services in Mumbai, making it the first bike taxi player in the state of Maharashtra. Customers can make bookings using the Rapido app.

Rapido launches Bike Taxi services in Mumbai-rapido_picture-4-1.jpg

Rapido aims to make first and last mile connectivity in the city more convenient and easily accessible. Fares in the city are as low as Rs. 6 per km. As an introductory offer, Rapido is offering a 50% discount on the first ride.

Rapido has hired 2,000 Captains (driver partners) in Mumbai. The company aims to hire 2 lakh Captains over the next 2 years.

In the wake of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, Rapido has introduced several safety measures for customers and Captains. The Captains are expected to sanitize and clean the seats and all customer accessible areas after every ride. Use of masks is compulsory for both the customer and Captain. Rapido provides free cancellation if Captains or customers are without masks.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 30th October 2020 at 16:09.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 16:38   #2
BHPian

Re: Rapido launches Bike Taxi services in Mumbai

Have taken Rapido twice (before Covid), and both times the drivers didnt carry a spare helmet (I anyways carried my personal helmet but still), and the vehicles weren't in a great shape.

More than the money you save on fares, the time saved is a massive boon. The second time I had to travel across the city in peak hour, Rapido took me home in half the time a Uber / Ola cab would have taken at 1/4th the price.
Stribog is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 02:55   #3
BHPian

To start with this is illegal, atleast in Bangalore. You cannot use a white board two wheeler as a commercial carrier.

Let's not forget, just before lockdown in March, traffic police had seized over 20 bikes of rapido captains and it was in the news too. Also if you notice these days the pizza guys don't have that fixed luggage box on their bikes, instead they use the big bag with huge straps. This again is due to the traffic police seizing bikes.

I know someone who worked for rapido as a rider and here is the gist from a Rider's Perspective:
1. You are referred to as a RAPIDO CAPTAIN
2. All money earned in your wallet can be moved to your bank account post deduction of the app margin.
3. You have to accept the next booking within 30 secs of the ring on the app
4. A RAPIDO rider gets ₹8/km as a earning
5. You are paid only for the trip (when passenger is travelling with you)
6. The empty trips to reach a customer or to reach the next customer is not paid for.
7. He barely made any money in the first 60 days and gave up.
On a average a rider rides 3 kms to reach a customer and most customers don't travel over 3-4kms to their Destination.

Only people who are over cautious about their money/ have limited time and no luggage/ traffic packed routes, non rainy, non peak afternoon times prefer rapido.

Rapido does no personal interview of riders, they are all Aadhaar otp verified people. Their DL, Vehicle documents are uploaded into the app, but no real security for women travellers.

There is absolutely no checking, no security deposit, no physical paper or signature collected from the rider. So there is no guarantee on what type of history a RAPIDO rider may have.

A criminal/eve teaser/pick-pocket/ any anti social element can become a rider and rapido won't know a thing about him.

I will happily stay away from this company.
Note: I have nothing against this company personally. I just hate when companies don't invest time and technology when serving customers. Leaving customer exposed to a million risks.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st October 2020 at 19:46. Reason: Typo
SS80 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 10:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After cab aggregators, it’s now the turn of bikes to address people’s transport needs, especially during the pandemic, but question marks loom over its legitimacy. A bike taxi platform, Rapido, started its services in Mumbai yesterday. However, despite the company claiming it has all the necessary permissions, transport commissioner Avinash Dhakane told Mirror that the service was “illegal”, saying, “We didn’t issue the permission to operate such type of services yet.”
https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/78962363.cms

Most Viewed