Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Old 19th February 2021, 10:12   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals

Hope some regulation of speed camera should happen in India, it's now left to whims and fancies of Police.

And wrong investment on Jeep mounted speed cam, I guess the cost for 1 jeep, 4 personals could get atleast 25 automated speed camera. But police prefer jeep mounted for bribes, this is happening in karnataka.

When driving in Italy I noticed a rule, a notice board should be display 100mts before speed camera saying speed camera ahead. Even for mobile speed cams police have to put a board 100 mts before and stand to catch. Strange rules, my friend who stays in Florence confirmed that's the italian rule. So you get speed Challan only if you don't notice the board.
Old 19th February 2021, 10:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Kerala Police still issues speeding tickets by post. I got one recently, for a speeding offense (limit was 90kmph, I was at 92!) , I had to pay INR 1400 for that. Good thing is that, it can be paid online without ever going to an office or PS and running around from one desk to another.
Old 19th February 2021, 12:19   #18
BHPian

I was ticketed by an interceptor in Kerala on the highway between Palakkad and Alathur last week on my drive to Edappally from Bangalore. Typically, as soon as I cross Walayar, I change my pace completely and keep the speed at or below 90. I made a small lapse, by being at around 95-96 Kmph for about 15 - 20 seconds as I was cresting a flyover, correcting it soon enough but a very strategically placed interceptor, which I saw almost immediately, a few feet after flyover descent, flagged me down and handed me a ticket for speeding. Tried reasoning, but didn't work. The police were equally polite and after a few minutes figured out the futility of any argument, paid up the full fine of Rs. 1,500 and carried on. I toyed with the idea of mentioning about this HC order but decided against it. They gave me a hand written receipt.

However, thinking about this later during the trip, I get the feeling that they pulled a fast one on me and made a neat sum for their pockets. The receipt they gave was a hand written one on a "official" looking receipt booklet. They didn't give me any proper printout indicating the speed, offence or any other details. Even the tone of discussion was almost like a negotiation in which they skilfully managed to extract the full amount. Anyway lesson learnt. While in Kerala, be very wary! But while in that mode I do see several vehicles pass me at speed and I keep wondering if they know techniques, that I don't, to travel quick without getting caught.
Old 26th August 2021, 10:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Thanks Gannu, I just checked echallan.parivahan.gov.in just be sure. ( All good)

Since the address where my vehicle registered was a rental which I moved out ages ago, I am wondering about the whole memo process. Maybe it time to update my RC details.( oh! The hassles)
The speed-trap challan issued by KP does not show up in VAAHAN portal.
You need to search in https://www.payment.keralapolice.gov.in/ .

Though, they call themselves KP Hi-Tech Cell, all process except the camera-click is manual. So, typically it takes 45-60 days for you to receive the memo by post .

I got 4 challans at the same spot for trips I have had made in a period between first offense and getting the memo. (I could have avoided the other 3 had they issued a timely one )
bkunnithan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkunnithan View Post
The speed-trap challan issued by KP does not show up in VAAHAN portal.
You need to search in https://www.payment.keralapolice.gov.in/ .

Though, they call themselves KP Hi-Tech Cell, all process except the camera-click is manual. So, typically it takes 45-60 days for you to receive the memo by post .

I got 4 challans at the same spot for trips I have had made in a period between first offense and getting the memo. (I could have avoided the other 3 had they issued a timely one )

Site is Good for payment and to find location.
Totally useless to get any info about snapshot or what speeds we were travelling.
Old 26th September 2021, 18:38   #21
BHPian

Received an over speeding challan yesterday that happened on 17 May, 2021 ie after 4+ months! I think this is a state highway so the limit should be 80 km/hr, so this is just 3 km/hr over the limit. Rs 1500 is a bit steep.

Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals-santrooverspeeding.png

Also, the notice doesn't actually mention the speed limit applicable in that specific area, and I don't re-call any speed limit board. Will check the next time I pass through that area.

Has anyone disputed these fines and succeeded? I mean not through a court case and all, as I don't think I can spare the time and effort for that.

Most Viewed