Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:02   #1
BHPian

Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals

Quote:
Kerala HC stays penalizing vehicles for overspeed based on speed camera visuals. The petition was filed questioning fine collection without placing boards indicating speed limits. Also points out that Police HiTech Cell has no power to penalize vehicles per Motor Vehicles Act.
https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...a-visuals.html
darklord is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals

Atlast something being done.
By all means, implement speed limits and zones, but do it the proper way.

At present, safety excuses aside, speed traps are more to do with revenue generation rather than safety concerns.

Especially in Kerala you never know if the National Highway you are travelling on has entered a municipality or panchayat limits.
Suddenly the 80km/h limit has become <50km/h legally, eventhough there wouldn't be any visible signs. No speed limit signs, or road conditions/traffic density signalling you to slow down.

If they can't put proper signage with a speed cam warning sign, or even atleast a proper speed limit sign.

Please don't put stuff like these on the roadside and expect people to take notice.
Does this look like a speed sign? Or toll rates signboard?

Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals-123532065_3340389106029186_5029810100340033313_o.jpg

Atleast have some symbols for vehicle class if they don't want it in English.
DicKy is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 07:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals

Finally some sense shown by the courts. I have once been a victim to such fines. My car was fined 1000 bucks as the posted speed was not visible anywhere and it was absolutely wrong! 30 kmph limit on a 4 lane divided road.

Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals-261c76e5f8b54e5cbcc76b74a0b5dec6.jpeg

PS - This is not in Kerala, but I hope other states too take a look at this and improve the infra and keep realistic speed limits.
blackwasp is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 15:06   #4
anb
BHPian

The news headline is misleading as always . The stay is not applicable for all, but only applicable to the person who approached the court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

Especially in Kerala you never know if the National Highway you are travelling on has entered a municipality or panchayat limits.
Suddenly the 80km/h limit has become <50km/h legally, eventhough there wouldn't be any visible signs. No speed limit signs, or road conditions/traffic density signalling you to slow down.

The speed limit reduces to 60 kmph in two fixed speed camera zones, Kowadiar and Kodungaloor bye pass, not in every panchayat or municipality as claimed. It's minimum 80 kmph in every other fixed speed camera zones.
Attached Thumbnails
Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals-police-fine.jpg  

Last edited by anb : 4th November 2020 at 15:15.
anb is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 16:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Does it say what was the speed for which he was fined for?
Old 4th November 2020, 19:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Does it say what was the speed for which he was fined for?
It was mentioned on another news portal that he was doing 83kmph. There are two issues raised by the complainant. One is the lack of proper speed sign. 2nd issue is the jurisdiction of the police department who sent him the notice.
Old 16th January 2021, 09:59   #7
BHPian

TL/DR : How does one receive a speeding ticket in Kerala, if caught using a speed gun in mobile interceptor vehicle? Will it show up in the usual MVD portal like the speed cams on the NH or will it be sent by mail?

Long Story : I was on SH-2 and there were signs showing 30 and 40kmph limits along the route. As the roads were empty, I was just driving at a sane speed and didn't check the speedo until I spotted the interceptor. I was doing a little less than 50kmph. I do not know the exact limit in that area, and I guess it should either be 30 or 40.

I've heard that they would send a ticket for even 4kmph above the limit so I'm expecting one but I don't see any reports in the portal.
Old 16th January 2021, 10:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
TL/DR : How does one receive a speeding ticket in Kerala, if caught using a speed gun in mobile interceptor vehicle? Will it show up in the usual MVD portal like the speed cams on the NH or will it be sent by mail?

Long Story : I was on SH-2 and there were signs showing 30 and 40kmph limits along the route. As the roads were empty, I was just driving at a sane speed and didn't check the speedo until I spotted the interceptor. I was doing a little less than 50kmph. I do not know the exact limit in that area, and I guess it should either be 30 or 40.

I've heard that they would send a ticket for even 4kmph above the limit so I'm expecting one but I don't see any reports in the portal.
Adding on top of your query. What happens to interstate vehicles? Do they have jurisdiction?
Old 16th January 2021, 10:20   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Adding on top of your query. What happens to interstate vehicles? Do they have jurisdiction?
Moderator ajmat’s KA registered Polo (his driver was behind the wheel) was fined some 10 times or so (cumulative, over 10k INR paid in fine) during a Bangalore - Cochin - Bangalore drive during the lockdown. He had shared the post sometime back in a different thread.

So out of state vehicles aren’t spared either. Since the vehicle registration details are now centrally available in the VAHAN server, they’ll send the fine memos to the registered address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Unlikely. From my experience, speed tickets are sent if the speedcams installed on the posts catch you speeding and not the mobile interceptors. They’ll catch you almost instantly.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th January 2021 at 10:22.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 10:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Unlikely. From my experience, speed tickets are sent if the speedcams installed on the posts catch you speeding and not the mobile interceptors. They’ll catch you almost instantly.
The mobile interceptors are no more stopping the violaters in Delhi while the speed tickets are being issued and a message is sent to the registered mobile number. The violaters will have to settle the challan via the traffic sentinel. We received a speeding ticket where the car was captured by a mobile cab.
MrBeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 11:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From my experience, speed tickets are sent if the speedcams installed on the posts catch you speeding and not the mobile interceptors. They’ll catch you almost instantly.
My car was recently fined for over speeding on a stretch from Cuttack to Bhubaneswar. The online challan only contains the picture of my vehicle and doesn’t mention anything else. Also, in the remarks column says ‘fled away’ when in reality I wasn’t even stopped.

The picture looks like that it was taken from a mobile van. The fine amount is ₹2000 and after checking with the dashcam video, I found that I was within the acceptable limits.

I have sent a mail with all the relevant data to the concerning officer whose mail id was mentioned in the challan. No idea if I will get any reply or not. This is such a bummer that vehicles from outside states are targeted in these age of vaahan database where one can only click a picture of the vehicle without mentioning anything else and the owner is supposed to pay the fine online !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 13:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Moderator ajmat’s KA registered Polo (his driver was behind the wheel) was fined some 10 times or so (cumulative, over 10k INR paid in fine) during a Bangalore - Cochin - Bangalore drive during the lockdown. He had shared the post sometime back in a different

Thanks Gannu, I just checked echallan.parivahan.gov.in just be sure. ( All good)

Since the address where my vehicle registered was a rental which I moved out ages ago, I am wondering about the whole memo process. Maybe it time to update my RC details.( oh! The hassles)

Last edited by SideView : 16th January 2021 at 13:27. Reason: Remove irrevalent quoted info
Old 23rd January 2021, 15:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
The speed limit reduces to 60 kmph in two fixed speed camera zones, Kowadiar and Kodungaloor bye pass, not in every panchayat or municipality as claimed. It's minimum 80 kmph in every other fixed speed camera zones.
Too late but thanks for the info. Just got a mail today from the department. I hate these guys!

Kodungaloor Bypass is a freaking 4 lane National Highway (Edapally - Panvel NH 66). And they used the loophole of terming it as a municipality to extract fines!

Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals-inkedimg_20210123_135335_li.jpg

Attached file of the challan.

Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals-img_20210123_135425.jpg

In fact, my speed (80kmph) was even within the limit proposed for the State Highway, forget the National highway.

Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals-img_20210123_135520.jpg

Here's the picture clearly showing that the road is a proper 4 lane divided highway.

Absolutely sick of these guys!
Turbohead is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 16:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
[left]Just got a mail today from the department.
It took almost 3 months to get the chellan delivered? Did you check any online portals for the violation? Asking because, I wanted to check mine as I had crossed this stretch and I didn't knew the limit at that time, but was warned by my acquaintance on return journey.

Agree that it's a daylight robbery.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 16:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
It took almost 3 months to get the chellan delivered? Did you check any online portals for the violation? Asking because, I wanted to check mine as I had crossed this stretch and I didn't knew the limit at that time, but was warned by my acquaintance on return journey.

Agree that it's a daylight robbery.
M- parivahan still doesn't show any challans for my car.

Got a challan for my scooter( used in Chennai) in the m- parivahan portal but the Tamil Nadu State govt portal had no record of it.

The portals aren't very reliable.

Most Viewed