Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2020, 12:08   #61
BHPian

Re: Lost a close friend in a freak accident – How did it happen?

That's really scary and sad at the same time. May god give strength to the family to bear its loss..!!

Since the car was meant to be parked for a long time, suggestion to keep the handbrake disengaged was absolutely correct. In the details of the video, I can see a rock is placed in front of the sedan and the it had been left in reverse. I suspect the pavement might have had a downward gradient, perhaps a rock and reverse gear parking. So, on this note, I beg to differ from the statements provided by the esteemed members earlier. Had this mishap happened while the vehicle moved forward, would have made much more sense to me.

So coming back to the root, since the car is well kept, probably the battery was in good health and since it wasn't used for quite some time, the terminals might have gathered some good amount of charge (of course not more than the potential of the battery), but strong enough to rotate the crank a couple of times even while slotted in gear.

I believe that this is a case of long-duration cranking, wherein the deceased did not anticipate the car to move but it did, so she might have been surprised and under nervousness, she did not leave the key away from the cranking postition. With more cranking, the engine pushed the car further, thereby gathering speed and momentum to crush the victim to death...!!

Kindly take some time to correct me if you feel my analysis is wrong at any-point.
Aish_4761 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:57   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aish_4761 View Post
So coming back to the root, since the car is well kept, probably the battery was in good health and since it wasn't used for quite some time, the terminals might have gathered some good amount of charge (of course not more than the potential of the battery), but strong enough to rotate the crank a couple of times even while slotted in gear.

I believe that this is a case of long-duration cranking, wherein the deceased did not anticipate the car to move but it did, so she might have been surprised and under nervousness, she did not leave the key away from the cranking postition. With more cranking, the engine pushed the car further, thereby gathering speed and momentum to crush the victim to death...!!

Kindly take some time to correct me if you feel my analysis is wrong at any-point.
Thank you every one for your comments. As many pointed out in this forum in earlier messages, it is very likely the starter motor along with the the anti stall feature of high idle RPM at the beginning would have resulted in this accident.
n_ramesh99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 20:47   #63
BHPian

Something very similar happened to me in the last week of July.

In my building compound, my car (Figo petrol) is parked just in front of the water pump enclosure. This is a concrete structure, about four feet high and four feet tall. My car was standing in front of this. The water tank is underneath, and so that space is a bit uneven, and the rear wheels are about two or three inches above the front wheels. So I had parked the car in reverse gear, so that it wouldn't accidentally roll forwards.

That day, I wanted to take the car out. I thought I would start the car, and go open the gates and all in the meantime, so that the car idles for about half a minute. So I opened the driver side door, stood outside, inserted the key and cranked it. I had pulled up the handbrake, but didn't notice the gear, I guess. The car lurched backwards, twice, and trapped me between the car door and the tank structure, like this lady. My left leg got trapped between the two, but I managed to get out. The car door opened out at some 140 degree angle, crunching up the side fender also. The car stopped, but I somehow remember the engine was still running. I was able to turn it off.

I consider myself very lucky that I did not get any more injuries. My leg pained a lot, and I went to the doctor, fearing a fracture, but there was nothing. Just painkillers and ice for a few days and it subsided.

Still wondering how the car rolled back so much. But then, I thank my stars, thinking some bigger disaster got averted and ended up like this. If the car was destined to crash that day, I'm lucky it happened within the compound, with only temporary injury to me. I shudder thinking what would have happened if it had crashed somewhere outside and hurt someone else.
sachinnair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 22:06   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinnair View Post
Something very similar happened to me in the last week of July.

I consider myself very lucky that I did not get any more injuries. My leg pained a lot, and I went to the doctor, fearing a fracture, but there was nothing. Just painkillers and ice for a few days and it subsided.
@sachinnair, I am so happy to know that you escaped unhurt, relatively speaking. you had been incredibly lucky.
n_ramesh99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 23:22   #65
BHPian

Truly sorry for your loss but unfortunately this isn't the first time I've heard of such an accident.

It also happened to the young and upcoming actor Anton Yelchin in 2016 with his Wrangler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Yelchin#Death
sonic_boom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 18:22   #66
BHPian

Seeing the video upset me a lot.

Brought a Tiago XZA+ home on 1st Jan, primarily for my wife's use.

The car doesn't start until the gear stick (AMT) is in Neutral and the brake pedal is pressed.
Additionally when engine running and gear engaged, the creep function is deactivated if the driver side car door is open.
Very happy with this setup.
Relax&Cruise is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks