Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2007, 22:21   #1
kph
BHPian

How pathetically shameless can a cop be?

Just listen to this before you answer.

04.04.2007; For easter holidays, I'm on my way home (Kerala) from Bangalore in my car with my Friend and his wife. It was around midnight, somewhere close to Dharmapuri when the highway police stopped us for checking. Wanted me to get out of the car, open the boot and show the luggage.

Before the cop could comment i explained to him that the big pack of old clothes kept in the boot belongs to me and has been taken with me to donate to some orphanage in Kerala.
Then a surprising question from the cop: Do u have the bill with you for these cloths?! That was followed by other questions too...

What is this, this, this and this....
This is tool kit, this is the car cover folded and kept in a plastic cover, and this is spare tyre, this is some spare oil...

Do you have anything else in the car other than these?
There is nothing illegal in this car and all what I have inside are either our personal stuff or essential accessories of the car. Nothing else at all... I tried to put a period.

It is clear to me that this guy is gonna make me mad..

Now take let me see the vehicle documents...
I did show him the documents.

Is this your car?
- Yes it is. My name is so and so and this is it written on the RC book.

Where is your photo on the RC book?
- Photo on the RC book?! There is no such practise of attaching owners photo on the RC book, anyway it is there on my DL and here it is, if you want to see.

Now comes the critical part of his 'interrogation'...
Who all are these people in the car?
- My friend and his wife.

You cant take them, this is a white board vehicle which is a private one- not a taxi and this can take you, your parents and siblings in the car; not your friend or anyone else.

I feel like losing my control, but tried my best not to lose my cool.
- Sir, I know this is a private vehicle and it would definitely be me who decide whom to take in this car. I will of course take my friends in this car. Till yesterday there wasn't any low preventing this in India. So if this is a new low just passed in TN.......

hay hay, take out your DL and come with me, I need to charge case. I kept all the documents inside the car, walked out to him and said, if you are done with your checking I am leaving.
No no, you cant leave without paying the check post fee.
- WHAT???

That "WHAT" made the difference.
Another cop walked up to us and asked me to leave and took him away with him.

How can a cop be senseless like that?
Doesn't he know that the people he interact with are not tribal?
Doesn't he know the meaning of the word shame?
Who would he have become if not a cop?

My head was full of questions. We asked among ourself for answers. We talked and laughed so much about this incident.
I have seen cops on road sides threatening and taking money, seen them taking 'coins' from vegetable sellers on roadsides.
But this guy beat them all, finding it difficult to believe that a cop can be pathetically shameless like this.

We salute you officer. You are an asset to our nation.

Last edited by kph : 6th April 2007 at 22:25.
Old 6th April 2007, 22:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats really un fortunate but its common scene from cop these days.

India is not going to improve in any aspect for the next 25 years! at least.

I thought in my child hood by the time I grow up things will change but to be my surprise things have gone bad....

Ravi.
Old 6th April 2007, 22:36   #3
BHPian

that was really a sad story dude,dont know what to say.
so many times it happend to me but this one was horrible.
Old 6th April 2007, 22:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph View Post
We salute you officer. You are an asset to our nation.
Its not just the cops... Its in every nook and corner of our social life...

Why go that far??? Even in our schools and colleges, there is to much of such shameless acts...

And... Its not 'they' who are to be blamed... Its 'us'... :(

(I may not be old enough to speak such topics... Just said what i felt)
Old 6th April 2007, 22:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Did you brush him on the wrong side initially since you did not like him checking your car ???

Happened to me once in the Hosur checkpost. Middle of the night, a cop stopped me & flashed his light inside my car & i got offended & foul mouthed him. Then all the rest happened just like it did for you. But then, I had another ace up my sleeve which put him in his place.
Old 6th April 2007, 23:04   #6
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Did you brush him on the wrong side initially since you did not like him checking your car ???
Not at all. Initially I didn't have any issues. Initially, I even helped him answering in broken Tamil.
Old 6th April 2007, 23:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

@kph .. u i guess u were lucky ... i was suprised , they dint pounce on you when u said " WHAT " ... they can get to very low levels .
Old 6th April 2007, 23:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

I'm glad that you had all the necesary documents in place.

manson.
Old 7th April 2007, 00:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the club. :-) Cops sometimes come in all flavours.

I've had enough brushes with the law both in TN and Karnataka. Its the same everywhere I guess.

When I bought my bike and was taking it home before the registration number came through, the cop caught me and said I'm driving without this and that... all I had was Rs. 2 with me... he took that !!!!

Unfortunately the only thing that works with most cops (I've seen some real decent ones though) is authority. Tell him you are so and so, or the son/niece/nephew of so and so. Then watch their reaction. Its pretty funny.
Old 7th April 2007, 00:27   #10
BHPian

It can happen to anyone except in the case of high ranking officials and politicians. This is a regular practice by our cops. They know your time is precious and you will do 'anything' to avoid the menace. This happens when you behaves in a humble manner, be very cool, look at their eyes , talk in such a manner that they tend to think you are influential and wont play to their tunes.

Another thing is that ask the name of the supdt. of police in the concerned dist.And tell them that( if they are really trying to trouble you) you wish to talk to him. IN most cases they give up.
Old 7th April 2007, 01:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph
Photo on the RC book?! There is no such practise of attaching owners photo on the RC book
In TN, the RC contains the owner's photo.
Old 7th April 2007, 01:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

always keep a 20 in between the pages..it helps...although nowdays the 20 has been replaced by a 50..but then it saves time.PANDU'S......i tell you...thats all they think about on duty..during the day..
Old 7th April 2007, 01:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

kph sad that such an incident took place. Nice to know that you kept your cool and things dint go haywire. Enjoy your holidays mate, those loosers need to get a life.
Lousie cops that we have in our country .

Quote:
In TN, the RC contains the owner's photo.
Nitrous since when has this been existent? Pardon my ignorance , but I haven't found such a thing in my friends RC book. His car is TN registered.

OT : How did the beer session go with Adi ?
Old 7th April 2007, 02:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good on you, kph. Don't let these scum get away with this sorta crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
always keep a 20 in between the pages..it helps...although nowdays the 20 has been replaced by a 50..but then it saves time.PANDU'S......i tell you...thats all they think about on duty..during the day..
Sorry dude, you need to grow up. Stop bribing your way out of every situation.

Last edited by v1p3r : 7th April 2007 at 02:35.
Old 7th April 2007, 02:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes, TN RC's do have a photo in them. I have a TN registered car and there is a photo in it. As does Karnataka.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks