Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2020, 07:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Bricks fell on neighbour's car! Now what?

The way I am thinking is slightly different here.

If this situation was reversed and if the Dzire happens to be one of our BhP’ians and this thread came out from our fellow BhP’ian against a civil Contractor who apparently flouted rules by stacking bricks on the road sides , what will be the advice / reco that we as a community will give ?

Aside , if the CCTV shows the car owner accidentally drove into the brick stacks, the whole resolution can be different.
jkrishnakj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 08:13   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Hi all,
I'm in construction and looking for some advice on this unintended case.
I see more bricks fallen on the inside (away from the car) than towards the car. Keep it on amicable terms till you get to see the cctv video. I feel the car has jammed into the bricks rather than the bricks falling on the car due to other reasons.

Do let us know how it goes once you get access to the cctv recordings.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 08:16   #18
bkc
BHPian

I'll keep you all updated, going to see the cctv footage today. Hope the camera is in working condition.
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 10:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
He will lose the NCB for no mistake of his right?
On whose fault can the NCB be lost? Who determines who is at fault? These are questions without concrete answers.

My view is NCB comes party of motor insurance and insurance must be utilised in case of an accident.
Old 15th November 2020, 14:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
Can you tell me how can I complain to GHMC? Almost all houses under construction in Koramangala are leaving sand, cement, and bricks on road.

I am happy to spend a few hours on Sunday and complain about all of them to the authorities.
GHMC is a city civic body in Hyderabad (Greater Hyderabad Municipal corporation), in Bangalore you have your local city civic body called Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP), you can raise a compliant to them, you can also reach IAS ranking officers like Civic body Administrator or Municipal commissioner on twitter and share your grievances. I'm not from Bangalore so I don't have any contacts there, but you can get some information from their websites or offices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
On whose fault can the NCB be lost? Who determines who is at fault? These are questions without concrete answers.
It is simple in this case, if the dzire guy rammed into the bricks, it is the fault of car driver, but if the bricks which are stacked on a side of the road fell on a stationary car, it is fault of the construction contractor / mason.

Quote:
My view is NCB comes party of motor insurance and insurance must be utilised in case of an accident.
If insurance is used, NCB discount will be lost during next renewal, if it is about 40% or 50% NCB discount, usually the discount amount will be in thousands for a big IDV, no one would like to lose it for no fault of their's right. Again I'm recommending to pay for the damages completely for the benefit of OP himself, instead of paying twice (once for consumables and once for NCB discount difference).
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 15:03   #21
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2020 at 07:19.
searacer932 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th November 2020, 15:13   #22
Team-BHP Support

I am posting on the assumption that the car owner is not at fault here. There is no way to guess that without CCTV confirming either way.

If I was in the car owner's shoes I would not be happy about a major repair outside the A.S.S. I don't think its a fair expectation that the owner should accept this.

Perhaps an alternative could be to repair it under insurance at an authorised dealership, pay the amount that the insurance does not cover and also cover the owner for the loss of NCB. Either that or get the car repaired at the authorised dealership at your own cost. Whichever works out cheaper.

You can only compensate the cost of repairing the vehicle. The owner still has to live with the misfortune of living with a vehicle that underwent a major incident and consequently had to be repaired.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 15:48   #23
BHPian

Whether the car owner rammed into the stack of bricks or the bricks fell due to some unknown cause, it is an accident and this what insurance is for. The car owner needs to claim insurance or the maximum you should do is to pay any difference between cost of repair and insurance. IMHO you should not pay anything more.
pk1972 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 16:35   #24
Team-BHP Support

Position 1: Bricks fell on car

This is your liability - The bricks should not have been on the road and were not secured properly. If the owner claimed insurance, the insurance would come after you for recompense.

If you can, get the car repaired

Position 2: He drove into the bricks

Tell him to claim the insurance and get lost - politely
ajmat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 17:03   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Position 1: Bricks fell on car

This is your liability - The bricks should not have been on the road and were not secured properly. If the owner claimed insurance, the insurance would come after you for recompense.

If you can, get the car repaired

Position 2: He drove into the bricks

Tell him to claim the insurance and get lost - politely
Position 3, owner has seen this thread and now informs OP that he is going to lodge a complaint to BBMP for having bricks where they should not be.
AtheK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 17:20   #26
BHPian

When you apply for a sanction plan The BBMP bye-laws takes a ground rent for stocking of building materials on public land. I don't know if they have any specs on how much space, or where or how to store, but it's allowed by law.

Will have to check, but it also gives one permission to build a temporary shed outside the property on public land.
keroo1099 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 17:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Any update on the CCTV footage? In Chandigarh too, bricks are kept on the roadside only. The number of cars have increased in the last 2 decades and there is a parking shortage. Still, sensible people dont park too close to the construction material for these very reasons.

Since the bricks have fallen from the stack, the owner is reasonable to ask for the repairs. The loss of NCB is not a one time thing. His premiums will increase for subsequent years as well (it takes 5 years for NCB to reach 50% right?).

On the other hand, dont pay a penny if the car was driven into the bricks deliberately.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th November 2020 at 18:00. Reason: Quoted post is deleted. Thanks.
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 17:46   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Position 3, owner has seen this thread and now informs OP that he is going to lodge a complaint to BBMP for having bricks where they should not be.
Based on this

Contractor additionally gets fined for leaving bricks on the road either way.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 17:55   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Let's assume for a moment the bricks did fall on his car rather than your neighbour driving into the bricks. After all he is your neighbour, you two need to live together preferably in harmony for several years, you need to interface with him in the future on a dozen other neighbourly matters .... then why so much of introspection and analysis paralysis over a job that would cost you not more than Rs 20,000 and not in lakhs. You are building or renovating a house in a decent locality. Clearly paying up the repair cost is well within your means. Don't sacrifice neighbourly harmony for a small amount of money.
V.Narayan is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 18:16   #30
BHPian

Unfortunate incident.
Reasonable demand on the Dzire owners part. Regardless of cause of the stacks toppling , the bricks were there in the first place because of your requirement. If the roles were reversed you would probably want the same thing too.

Please settle it amicably and live peacefully.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks