Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2020, 18:22   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bricks fell on neighbour's car! Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Let's assume for a moment the bricks did fall on his car rather than your neighbour driving into the bricks. After all he is your neighbour, you two need to live together preferably in harmony for several years, you need to interface with him in the future on a dozen other neighbourly matters
I think the OP is not the owner of the place but is the one who is constructing the house in a professional capacity. That is what I could gauge from the opening post.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 18:40   #32
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
When you apply for a sanction plan The BBMP bye-laws takes a ground rent for stocking of building materials on public land. I don't know if they have any specs on how much space, or where or how to store, but it's allowed by law.

Will have to check, but it also gives one permission to build a temporary shed outside the property on public land.
This is the practice here. Ground rent is charged for approval to keep materials outside. Attaching a sample.

Have written and given a slip for the date and time of footage. The house people were in urgency to go somewhere so, left the slip for them to see later.

My time is not good . My Swift Diesel's engine mount bolt broke for no reason. Opening new thread for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Bricks fell on neighbour's car! Now what?-screenshot_20201115183942.jpg  

Last edited by bkc : 15th November 2020 at 18:48. Reason: additional information
bkc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 02:53   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Dzire has clearly driven into the bricks. The damage on the bottom of the bumper which is pressed in and has scrapes clearly looks like a case of the Dzire going forward into the bricks.

This is just him trying to wriggle money from you imo.
Exactly!
But if the CCTV footage comes out confirming this then I'm sure it is going to be hard to retrieve any footage in the first place.
Eagerly waiting for updates about what happened next. Reminds me of a fantastic Lebanese flick 'The Insult'.

I hope an amicable solution comes out soon (like in the movie).
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 07:05   #34
BANNED

That's painful, especially when you are a contractor. This one took me back to my old days when I used to work as a full time electrical contractor.

In one case, a motorcyclist had simply lost balance after slipping on the cables which were lying on the roadside, and hit a hydra of ours. Trust me gentlemen, I had to pay through my nose to make sure that the work continues. It was a decent sized government contract, and stopped work meant heavy penalties on me at a later stage. This was all when the government was of SP and I had very good terms with all local authorities, when talked to them, they simply said "local log hain bhai, dharna dene utar gaye toh sab band karna pad sakta hai (local people, if they start protesting, you may end us winding up entire thing)".

In other words, if you are a non-local contractor working in an area, and don't have a very strong local support. Simply try to avoid any such situation which may result in getting things delayed. 8-10k is not an amount that is going to make you poor in any sense, just avoid the trouble, talk to the car owner, reach a consensus and immediately get the job done. Check with the clout the man has in surroundings, if people are favoring him, just avoid any kind of heated arguments etc.
VKumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 09:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the incident. By looking at the pics, I think the damage is limited to the bonnet of the car. I would suggest, get the car repairs estimated at an independent car garage and help the car owner out. I don't think resolving this through insurance or NCB will move ahead as he will stick to his point. In one way or the other, the owner of the material is responsible for the mishap. I don't want to sound harsh but I think that is the what the situation is. It shouldn't cost more than a few thousand rupees (10K to 15K) I guess.
Old 16th November 2020, 11:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
The house people were in urgency to go somewhere so, left the slip for them to see later.
Is this CCTV installed by the resident family on their property?

If yes, I'm pretty sure they won't share the footage if it turns out to be the car driver's fault. After all that guy is their neighbour and they have to live with him, in the same locality.

Same thing happened with my car few years back. It was some concrete mixture in place of bricks that was sprayed all over the car. We claimed insurance and demanded ~4k for file charges and lost NCB which the contractor denied to pay. Eventually we had to got some locals involved after which the contractor paid 15k as compensation.

I think a monetary settlement is the best way to go around this. Agree for an amount close to 10k and close this matter before he gets RWA and locals involved. Prefer online transfer so that you have a proof of payment.

Last edited by self_driven : 16th November 2020 at 11:22.
self_driven is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 20:10   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bricks fell on neighbour's car! Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post

Same thing happened with my car few years back. It was some concrete mixture in place of bricks that was sprayed all over the car. We claimed insurance and demanded ~4k for file charges and lost NCB which the contractor denied to pay. Eventually we had to got some locals involved after which the contractor paid 15k as compensation.
alert

Interesting of you to share this - I faced a similar incident with my brand new Interceptor 650 a year ago in Bangalore. Had parked my bike at my uncle's place in the parking area for ~2 months while I was traveling due to work. Came back to see numerous paint spots all over the bright orange tank - apparently, they had painted the parking area, and it seems like a few drops fell over the tank during the process. Unfortunately in my case, I couldn't see any positive outcome as the contractors had long gone and no one to follow-up with.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 09:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

I'd advise putting yourself into his shoes. I think his demands are reasonable if the bricks actually fell on his car. Considering that the damage seems superficial, try getting it repaired at full cost rather than claiming insurance and calculating the difference & NCB, etc. It might just not be worth the time and effort.

Whole different story if he drove into the bricks and you can get CCTV footage to prove the same. The burden of proof lies on you until you can get your hands on the CCTV footage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Thanks for the response sir. Keeping construction materials inside premises is not possible in small sites sir. Usually cess charges and other road cutting charges are collected before construction.
I know the constraints involved, but how about creating a small barrier of stones 2ft away (perpendicular to the direction of the road) so that cars don't try to park too close to your pile of bricks.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 10:55   #39
BHPian

Going through the entire thread just to see the CCTV footage.! I assume there would be more people like me who are waiting for it! Irrespective of the fact about whosoever is at fault, I am glad to see Maruti's crumple zone work so well !

Last edited by GTO : 18th November 2020 at 07:38. Reason: Please do NOT type with excessive dots......like........this.....Thanks
Aish_4761 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:16   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
Can you tell me how can I complain to GHMC? Almost all houses under construction in Koramangala are leaving sand, cement, and bricks on road.
GHMC is for Hyderabad. In Bengaluru, you could complain to BBMP through their mobile app or website. Even Twitter might work (I had posted to GHMC earlier).
Old 17th November 2020, 12:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I'd advise putting yourself into his shoes. I think his demands are reasonable if the bricks actually fell on his car. Considering that the damage seems superficial, try getting it repaired at full cost rather than claiming insurance and calculating the difference & NCB, etc. It might just not be worth the time and effort.
Exactly! Just accompany the car owner to a trusted ASS and get an estimate. They will easily calculate and tell you the NCB loss value and usually, that is a very small amount. Once he sees the actual number he might even be willing to claim the insurance. My suggestion is to pay directly to the garage using your credit card so that you even have proof in case there is an issue further down the line.
Old 17th November 2020, 12:27   #42
BHPian

If the footage does prove that the bricks fell on his car, I would recommend paying for the damages. FNG will workout cheaper and he will be of less interference during the construction. I am involved in construction of my home as well and I always insist that the contractor cover the sand and bricks with Tarpaulin tied around them. And I also insist that as much building material be spread out throughout the site where it will be needed even if it means taking a day off actual construction. It just makes life easier with road users and neighbours.
Old 17th November 2020, 12:29   #43
BHPian

Like others suggested, its best you decide based on the CCTV.

Anyways, I am also into industrial contracting and a simple advice to you is, in addition to the insurance you have for your workmen, it is also worthwhile to add Third party liability which should not work out to a fortune and will cover all such eventualities. This will also cover any unforeseen incident like a brick or other building material falling on the head of a passerby (god forbid) or your workmen ending up accidentally damaging some public utility etc. during the course of your work.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 12:56   #44
BHPian

I live in Indiranagar too and I would have to say I have had it with construction sites blocking the already narrow access roads with their sand, cement and bricks stacked outside the site. I have had to time and again ask the workers in the construction site in my neighbouring building to clear enough space for my car to pass through and it raises my blood pressure whenever I see the road blocked.

There is always the chance that he might have bumped into the bricks but it would never have happened if the construction material was not on a public road.
Old 17th November 2020, 15:28   #45

I am also into construction. I had faced the similar situation in one of my work site.
There was an Apartment adjacent to our work site and its parking lot was filled mostly with luxury vehicles .We have covered our site with green net all over as a precautionary measure to prevent the dust spreading to the apartment area. But one day I got a call from our site supervisor saying that rear windshield of one of the car parked in the apartment is seen broken. But to my surprise the car was a BMW GT . We assumed that the culprit was the green net used for covering the worksite. Some small aggregates which got trapped in the net fall from above due to strong wind and landed on the windshield. The owner was not willing to use his insurance even after I told him to pay for the difference in ncb amount which he may lose due to claim. I paid the entire amount for windshield replacement which comes to around Rs 73,000/-
Attached Thumbnails
Bricks fell on neighbour's car! Now what?-inkedwhatsapp-image-20180612-3.20.07-pm_li.jpg  

nihasbabu is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks