Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2020, 12:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ranchi: Angry BMW X1 owner uses car as a garbage truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
I have always wondered what kind of background research OEMs’ do before granting dealerships!
How much money the prospective dealer partners have. In a nutshell: the OEM's capability to wholesale stock to dealer. For that you need deep pockets. That's all that the OEM looks at.
Technical competence, Attitude, Customer centricity: all exist on the fancy Dealer Qualification excel sheet which the OEM's dealer development manager carries in his laptop but at the end of the day sales wins and everything else goes out of the window or are diluted to droplets!
Old 27th November 2020, 17:03   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Honestly, this seems more like an entitled idiot who’s pappa has bought him the car.

I think we have reached a point where such stunts have lost their novelty now.
Agree fully. I am getting increasingly irritated with arrogant folks who resort to stunts for You Tube views.

His tyre suffered a serious puncture which cannot be repaired. How did the puncture take place? Was it a manufacturing defect (he has not said that) or bad luck (our road design) or just careless driving? Who knows!!

Why has the tyre not been replaced? Is he waiting for a free replacement? Or is the size not in stock? And in the second case, why blame the dealer when the Government of India has come up with a nutty policy of putting tyres under import licensing and not clearing shipments that have been stuck in ports for months.

Where a manufacturer or a dealer is wrong, we must take them to task. But people who try to get compensation even when the manufacturer is not at fault only make life tougher for those who face genuine issues.
Hayek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 19:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
I am always amazed when Indians expect premium service and cars designed for Indian roads from the big three German OEMs. These OEMs + Indian Govt basically conned you into paying a ~200-300% premium for a product which was never designed for Indian roads and conditions to begin with.

You just summed it up. I ve owned the BMW 3GT here in Kerala and was always worried about the dreaded ABS warning whenever it used to rain. With the sorry state of roads and traffic here its a pain to mainatin these car.
We always visit the authorised service centers hoping that we get the best service, but in most cases these guys wont have any idea about why things fail and the only option with them is to replace the part all together. I had changed the ABS sensors, the front suspension, and it makes you feel sad when you have to part away $$$ to make these fine machines work on our roads.
alterhak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 19:38   #19
BHPian

The Ranchi BMW dealers are full-time crooks, and they haven't spared any malpractice from the crook's handbook be it putting old parts on someone's car, excessive charging, abusing / threatening their staffs in case they want to stick to ethics or even commiting falsely just for the sake of payment and once they receive it, you are taken for a royal ride. I have sold all my BMWs which at a time was 4 in number coz their experience totally killed the 'joy' of ownership. They also happened to a Toyota dealer but due to a handful of reasons Toyota sacked their dealership and published in the newspaper.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 20:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
I am always amazed when Indians expect premium service and cars designed for Indian roads from the big three German OEMs. These OEMs + Indian Govt basically conned you into paying a ~200-300% premium for a product which was never designed for Indian roads and conditions to begin with.

They sell a few thousand cars in India every year (~2-3% of their US sales) and the effort needed to re-tune wheels/suspensions etc is simply not worth the effort.For simplicity sake if they make 100 cars a month globally, ~ 1 car is packed and shipped off to India with the assumption that there will always be one person ignorant enough to shell out a fortune for a car that may or may last on Indian roads/conditions. My friends BMW had its wiring chewed off by a rat over the lockdown and on questioning the dealer regarding the lack of rodent protection, their reaction was a simple shrug of the shoulders and a "its not required in Europe" statement. Ended up costing ~30k.

With regards to premium service, none of these salesmen/technicians have been magically transplanted from Germany to India. They are all ex MS, Hyundai, Tata, VW etc guys who are trained for a couple of days and sent off to the wild. We are not at that point yet scientifically where you can reprogram ones DNA from the Maruti Suzuki chalta hai model to BMWs German efficiency.

So long as the political/real estate moguls keep buying and replacing rims, tires etc without blinking an eye, the rest will have to do the same.
About the rodent issue - It is absolutely the owners responsibility to park the car in a suitable location. I have heard about Racoons doing the same here in the US.

The pay differences between US/Europe and India for these mechanics is a big factor too. How do you expect someone to understand tech in a high level if they cannot afford to use it. In contrast, one of the mechanics from our local Dealership lives on the same street as me and drives a M2.
nitinsharma1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 12:55   #21
BHPian

I've never really understood this concept of a space saver tyre, how much space does it actually save? Even if it's a money saver tyre, how much money does it end up saving the brand? Especially when a customer has just plonked out 50 big ones for the car.

My knowledge in tyres is barebones at best, but back when I used to encounter punctures (tyres with the tube) I used to regularly swap in the spare wheel and continue driving sometimes even for months, although I obviously don't advocate that.

On a humorous note, the way luxury brands are currently going (Apple), don't be surprised if the spare wheel starts being omitted entirely.
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 06:28   #22
BHPian

It's already happening my friend. Some cars in US do not come with a spare tire even for non run flat tires. But you do get a compressor and tire sealant that seals the puncture from the inside. My 2015 Jeep Renegade had the same. Thankfully I never had to use it during my lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
I've never really understood this concept of a space saver tyre, how much space does it actually save? Even if it's a money saver tyre, how much money does it end up saving the brand? Especially when a customer has just plonked out 50 big ones for the car.

My knowledge in tyres is barebones at best, but back when I used to encounter punctures (tyres with the tube) I used to regularly swap in the spare wheel and continue driving sometimes even for months, although I obviously don't advocate that.

On a humorous note, the way luxury brands are currently going (Apple), don't be surprised if the spare wheel starts being omitted entirely.

Most Viewed