Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Have you ever spotted your ex-car? What was your reaction?

Not just spotting... read on.

An incident from my early career days, something which makes us laugh even today.
This is around 2005-2006. We were a bunch of graduates, recently employed, sharing accommodation in BTM Layout, Bangalore. One of the flatmates, let’s call him Vinu, to protect his identity, but at the same time give him a clue that this is his story, in case he is reading this.

Now, Vinu wanted to become a biker and then start writing travelogues about his solo rides across India. Problem is, he didn’t know how to ride a bike, especially changing gears with the foot. Like all good friends and flatmates, we all had our opinion and advice to ‘guide’ him. So he went ahead and bought a cheap one first, a used Hero Honda Splendor, which had seen better days. The intention was, learn how to ride a bike, get a license, master zipping in and out of Bangalore traffic, not worry about nicks and dings or even maintenance, dispose it off. Then get one he likes to conquer the roads of India with.

All this works out as planned. He learnt the art of biking on Bangalore roads, squeezing to the front of traffic blocks, even crossing Silk board junction easily (a place notorious for deadlock traffic jams), etc etc. He was now looking for a quick sell. The person supplying milk to our flat offers to buy it, he said he is from the locality and Vinu need not worry about anything. The all-cash deal, it was done in a jiffy. Vinu got the cash, nearly as much as he paid for the bike in the first place and he was happy.

Vinu then got a TVS Apache RTR and started with a small trip around Bangalore. He started exploring about long road trips, read in some blog that a fit person can endure long rides. So now his focus shifted to fitness, he then began his early morning jogs. This goes on well for a couple of months, he can see the changes in his stamina, he even plans on doing some marathon, Times of India one, I guess.

And it so happens on a Saturday winter morning. BTM layout has an area close to a lake, it gets foggy during winter mornings. This is where Vinu goes for his jogs.

Vinu is focused on his goals, out he goes for a jog. Next thing we know, around 7.30 - 8 am, one of the flatmates gets a call from someone, he says your friend has met with an accident, come to XYZ hospital. He wakes the rest of us up and we all head to the hospital, we got to know Vinu was struck from the side when he was jogging and now has a fractured arm and a hairline fracture on his leg. There go his marathon dreams.

Now the best part, he was struck down by our milk man’s kids who were out on an errand on the very same bike he sold them. It was foggy, the bike had headlights as bright as a candle, horns that don’t work and they didn’t see him, he didn’t see them. CRASH. Even better, the bike is still in his name. . So we were wondering how the FIR would look like, even if we intended to file one.

Long story short, his ex-bike hunted him down. The milkman bore the hospital expenses not covered by Vinu's insurance and profusely apologized, so did the boys. No charges were pressed, but we all learnt many valuable lessons about taking care of one's rides and transferring ownership.

"A honk on time is better than a few broken bones".

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2020 at 06:46. Reason: typos
Spinnerr is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:41   #17
BHPian

I have mixed emotions for my last car, my 9 yr old daughter fondly remembers her old big red car. She says it was very 'comfy' whilst her current Skoda Rapid is not so. Back to topic, I have not met my ex, but one day was startled to get a thank you message from a IOC Fuel outlet with a receipt for refilling from Chennai outskirts with the vehicle no. That was when I had even thought about the car after more than 3 years perhaps. It struck me I had never bothered to check if the new owners had even trasferred the car in their name. I logged on to parivahan website and learnt that even after three years he was still running the car in my name. I called up the broker, a few calls and a little pressure, the name transfer was immediately done. Thank God for small mercies and the sms from IOC, I could have had bigger troubles.
Marshall is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:42   #18

A friend spotted my old Esteem and clicked these photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Have you ever spotted your ex-car? What was your reaction?-image001.jpg  

Have you ever spotted your ex-car? What was your reaction?-image002.jpg  

rdas81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 08:51   #19
BHPian

I sold my Estilo to a colleague, who relocated to Hyderabad. When I was in HYD in 2019, he took me around for few errands. Must say, he had maintained to great standards. The sale was a 1 minute conversation since he knew I took pride in my cars.

An ex colleague of mine recently sent me a pic of my Xylo spotted on Pune roads. It was a rear view pic and the Xylo looked to be well cared for. Felt good!
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:24   #20
BHPian

I have this habit of randomly checking for challans every couple of months. Now whenever I do this I also try to check for our old Polo and Elite i20 just so I could see them in the pic . Got to see the i20 twice due to overspeeding tickets since February.
Attached Thumbnails
Have you ever spotted your ex-car? What was your reaction?-screenshot-20201204-9.15.23-am.png  

aa1997 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

I saw my old Bike once. It was a Yamaha FZ-S. Had her from 2010 -2016 after which I sold her when I relocated aboard. On one of my visits back home I managed to spot her. Man! She was in a bad shape. All dirty with broken indicators and all.

For us BHP-ians I think it is better not to spot our ex-rides. No one will be able to take care of them like we do.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:27   #22
BHPian

I did manage to catch a glimpse of our long-gone Versa DX every now and then at the same area in Kannur town for the last couple of years. And every single time, memories would gush out almost instantly; the 5-year old me amazed by a "car" of such height and width, gleaming stupidly in the passenger seat at the tiny Altos and Zens.

Of all the cars that served us: The Zen, Esteem, Alto, WagonR Duo; the sales dud was the last car we'd expect to bump regularly into! I guess, with the more powerful engine and better equipment, it makes more sense to buy a used Versa than a new Eeco; if you can find one.

Although it's reign was incredibly brief, it was still a heartfelt moment for us, as it was the last car that my grandad(R.I.P.) thoroughly enjoyed before being diagnosed with Parkinson's. He used to wash it every single day without fail even though it had hardly seen any city miles.

For us, that car, good or not, was a piece of our history. Hence the aforementioned rush of emotions. Sorry if it all sounded a bit too cheesy. Went terribly off-topic there, my bad.

In the end, it's just a car; a machine, a tool or a gadget in terms of purpose, but when was the last time you badly missed your Nokia 6600 just as much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Not just spotting... read on.

An incident from my early career days, something which makes us laugh even today.

"A honk on time is better than a few broken bones".
Wonderful anecdote!
If our old Zen were to bump into my car literally ( Judging by my driving skills it's gonna be the other way around), I'll probably pay him/her and buy them some tea as well!

Last edited by GipsyDanger : 4th December 2020 at 09:37.
GipsyDanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:28   #23
BHPian

Nice thread. My ex-car is there right next lane of my house. The guy who bought my car was my former colleague. Hence, I keep chatting about his experiences with the car whenever we cross roads.

I must admit that the car is not maintained the way I used to. I keep advising him whenever we meet, but in return he says "it's a second hand car, that's fine". My immediate response was "what is to do with the second hand car? Maintaining car is just part of your ownership, isn't it?". Before I sold my car to him, I changed the aging tyres and dying battery so that the guy who owns the car should have good experience during his ownership. But it hurts when the same level of care is not taken up by the new owner. I now wish that I should have sold my car to someone who stays far away from my place.

Whenever our ex-car is spotted by my daughter, she keeps asking me to buy-back. I have to explain her that the only reason to sell car was due to limited parking space.
GRAND23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 11:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Spotted Baleno 1.6 few times and Grand i10 diesel magna many times.

Feelings for Baleno : Wish I had energy and resources to maintain the brilliant car. Wasnt aware of aftermarket at that point of time, plus scant was the online parts availability back in 2014. This September 2020 would have marked 15 years of that machine. I am yet to come across such a combination. Every time I drive my City, it reminds me of Baleno sedan. Felt so much better screwed together than City, plus better ride and torquey engine fit for urban duties. Not that City is terrible, but Baleno rode better over bad roads, had better high speed manners. I am quite focussed on engine most of the times hence City keeps me happy. Baleno would have kept me happier.

Feelings for Grand i10 diesel : Makes me upset towards Hyundai. Why did you do this to me Hyundai ? Why was your service center denying any issue where there was a big one ? And then the "Customer Care" openly lied ? Played games with words over email ? If the car didn't have any issue, I would still be driving it. But then I got something better later on.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 11:25   #25
BHPian

Interesting thread!

I've never spotted my ex-car but was contacted by the disabled gentleman who bought my Hyundai Xing Automatic from the True Value I sold it to. I had fitted a CNG tank and he called me up to say that the CNG plate is missing and that he has been cheated. He shared pics of the car. This was 10+ years ago.

I told him that I remember the CNG plate was attached to the car when I exchanged it at Maruti. And I'm not aware if somebody stole it from the car. He told me that without the CNG plate, that car's CNG tank was illegal and that he's in a fix. All I could do is direct him to the CNG shop I bought it from.
JojyKerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 12:17   #26
BHPian

I have no emotional story to share, but its surely a sad one. I live in a small city with a population of 6 lakhs and 10-14 kms diamater at its widest. Its easy to repeatedly spot some vehicles if you care to...

The two times when I met my 2 exes, turned out both times they were heavily ridden and abused by their new owners.

My first vehicle bought 16 years ago, Kinetic Zing is now lying with a businessman who kept it in trash like conditions. I wondered if he even got her serviced or not.

Then, I left a TVS Centra 100cc in 2007 end as I got the Pulsar 180 UG3... It was barely 17000 kms. Then when I saw it 5 years later, it was around 72000 kms ridden and in a similarly sad condition...
Even my Pulsar was apparently taken to a village...

Do all my new owners have some enemity with my vehicle? Is a Rs. 500 service once in 6 months too much of an expense?
What am I supposed to do, interview them before selling or just forget the vehicle?
Samarth 619 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 12:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
Okay, this might be a little emotional thread. But I feel every car enthusiast has a soft corner for atleast one of his rides and so do I.
What a great thread! Thanks for sharing. I miss our first family car. It was the 1980s and my Dad got a Maruti 800. A blue Maruti on which we went everywhere. As an Army family, we once travelled from MHOW (MP) to Uttarakhand via Delhi, in a non-AC car during the summer holidays. Heaven!
Spaced Out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 13:02   #28
BHPian

Very Interesting thread.

Sold my Linea TJet 2 years back, and the guy who bought it was super interested and seemed to genuinely appreciate the car.

While randomly browsing olx last month, saw the same car with a dealer in Bangalore. Was quite saddened to see the plight of the car.

Still regret selling that car, wish I had the energy to look after that one!
Old 4th December 2020, 13:07   #29
BHPian

Any Red WagonR that I see I immediately check if it was my car. Still unlucky
Old 4th December 2020, 13:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

We sold both our Tata Sumos to people in the cab business and never saw them again.

My father's WagonR was sold for scrap in exchange while buying the Baleno, so I will be surprised if I see it on the road again, even though it was sold in Dehradun itself, where my parents live.

My Nano was sold to a family friend, who met with an accident on the New Year's Eve last year (link (Tata Nano Twist XT: 4-year ownership report)), and I was heartbroken to see the car, but it looks good again now after repairs.

My wife and I used to go for dates in my Nano, and we brought home our Son in the car, so it is very special for both of us. Our son was 2.5 years old when we sold it last year, but he still calls every Blue Tata Nano as "Papa ki Nano (translated as Papa's Nano)". And for my wife and I, every Blue WagonR looks like "my Father's WagonR".

I so wish to find my old Scooter or our Sumo's on the roads, but being over 20 years old now, I don't think it'll ever be a possibility.

My 2 cents in the thread.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks