Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 13:17   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Have you ever spotted your ex-car? What was your reaction?

A very emotional thread & loved the way you have expressed your mind. I have had 2 cars that I have since parted with. Every now and then - I check on the mParivahan/VAHAN portal - to see that they are with their next owners and are being looked after (i.e. valid insurance, PUC etc.) & not ignored.

By god's grace, both of them are with owners outside of Pune in different towns. I am glad that I don't get to see them often & in my mind they are enjoying a happy life they deserve. I looked after them & cared for them like my babies. Was very emotional when giving them away for unavoidable reasons. So unless I can see them being cared for equally well - I'd rather not see them again. A sight in poor condition won't be something I can handle easily.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 13:40   #32
BHPian

Has anyone here sold a car or a bike and has bought it back again?

I have (Well, actually my dad)

Once, we sold our Yamaha Alba 106 to a friend and bought it back for the same price after some years. We still use it.
It gives us zero headaches and a good fuel efficiency
Thats the reason why we hold it, even today
Govardhansupra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 13:45   #33

Very well penned down Sir. Just reading about this and thinking of my old M800 that I learnt how to drive in, is making my eyes water. Oh what I would do to get it back in my garage today. I don't think I'll be able to contain myself if I ever saw it again.
Jacob1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 13:52   #34
BHPian

We had a 2007 Ford Fiesta until 2015. We upgraded to it after selling our Maruti 800, so it was worlds apart from everything we'd owned until then. All of us loved the Fiesta. It shared 1.17 lakh km with us over a span of almost 9 years, but finally had to go when something serious cropped up with the engine and the local dealer couldn't fix it. The car had become almost un-driveable by then, so letting it go was very heartbreaking. But around a month after selling it, we spotted it, not near our city, but almost 200km away, while we were on a trip. What are the odds!

Here's a picture of the Paprika Red companion.
Have you ever spotted your ex-car? What was your reaction?-fiesta1.jpg

I was only 16 when we sold it, so I have not driven it. I hope that someday, I will, like GTO said, find the car parked somewhere, have a chat with its current owner and maybe have them let me try driving it.
francisvellara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 14:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have never seen any of the cars, bikes or scooters which I sold but remember all the registration numbers and have filed/kept the sale documentation for proof.

Contrary to almost everybody here, I don’t miss or care to see any of them (except one) as I sold them for a reason and more importantly didn’t want them anymore. Only exception being the Honda City VTEC, the original screamer. From time to time, especially when I see one on the road, the thought does come to mind that maybe I shouldn’t have sold it. That’s a fleeting thought too, as I don’t believe in wasting time on what’s over.

That’s life, move on, out with the old and in with the new.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 14:44   #36
bkc
BHPian

My brother spotted my optra magnum and both felt sad. If it wasn't for that money crunch, I wouldn't have let go of her. Sold it for mere 2.9lacs with 55k-60k on odo

Still, there is no other used car to replace it, for double the selling price.
Just look at the road presence.
Attached Thumbnails
Have you ever spotted your ex-car? What was your reaction?-img20201204wa0032.jpg  

Have you ever spotted your ex-car? What was your reaction?-img20201204wa0033__01.jpg  

bkc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 14:52   #37
BHPian

I have owned two Tatas which I sold and currently own the third Tata - the Nexon.
Both of the current owners of my ex-cars have not updated the registered mobile numbers.
So I get all updates about both the cars in TMSC - Tata Motors Service Connect app.
I feel good to still be connected to both cars in some or the other way.

Also, felt bad to see some major issue happening with my first car - Nano, costing the next owner around 24,000 Rs in repairs.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 14:58   #38
BHPian

Most of our vehicles have gone to friends and family so i get to see them very frequently except those which were sold through a dealer. Surprisingly those are the ones which I long to see the most. Our M800 which was my family's first car and the 2009 Ford Endeavour which we sold in 2013 due to financial reasons and it just had 14k kms and was in immaculate condition. The other cars which we had were the 2005 Wagon R which i can see whenever i want because it can be seen parked in Khan Market and our Hyundai i20 which went to my Dad's previous boss. My good old TVS Wego went to my brother and my dad's pulsar was sold to a our building's contractor and it can be seen frequently in the compound.
Old 4th December 2020, 15:00   #39
BHPian

Once sold, I refrain from fretting over a cars upkeep post transfer. My father's 2012 Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDi was sold in another state with a close acquaintance in 18'. I have driven a couple times over there. It is mechanically sound and running, and the body has taken a fair amount of hit as well. However due to its build quality, it conceals all the damage and chugging along fine at almost 2,00,000 kms on the odo.

The owner is emotionally attached and considers it auspicious despite its poor upkeep; rash driving and sheer negligence, ie: paan, tobacco and rotten food stench that will make you dyspeptic and nauseous. A constant blinking check engine and ABS module lights. During our ownership, it was maintained well and in ship condition, now I am least concerned or bothered.

A car or any other possession's maintenance reflects its owners personality. As it rightfully belongs to the second owner and is not in my purview.
ciddharth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 15:28   #40
rkw
BHPian

Brings back nostalgic moments & memories! I have been always attached to the cars that we had in the family. So letting off is emotional. While the head says "no attachment to objects", the heart differs. But as said, "we meet to create memories; we part to cherish them".
My first new car with own earnings was a Hyundai i10 bought in 2014. After 05 years of enjoyable, hassle-free ownership & 62K on the odo, I decided to upgrade to the bigger Creta & exchanged the i10 in the showroom itself. The car was as good as new but had to give it as there was no use of 2 cars (there is already our trusted City at home). I got half the original OTR price during exchange!
I let it go off reluctantly but was also glad at upgrading. I had handed over the i10 during the payment period as that was part of down payment. But was so happy to know that it found a new owner within a week even before I had taken delivery of my new Creta.
Sharing pictures of how the car looked when "new" & "after 05 years".
Car when new in 2014
Have you ever spotted your ex-car? What was your reaction?-img_1315.jpg
Car after 05 years & 62K in 2019
Have you ever spotted your ex-car? What was your reaction?-img_20190216_174414.jpg

Last edited by rkw : 4th December 2020 at 15:36.
Old 4th December 2020, 15:56   #41
BHPian

Agree to the OP, meeting your old car on the road is indeed a very emotional experience. I had to part with four of my previous cars through the years.
The very first car in which I learned to drive (2004 maruti 800), is now a driving school vehicle, and my sister co incidentally did learn to drive in the same car, through the driving school. We used to see the car regularly until covid lockdown started, around our hometown.

The second car, 2011 Chevy beat diesel was fortunate enough to have found the best home a car could have. Its now owned by the Deedi Chevrolet service centre in our area, and is well taken care of. We occasionally do see it making part runs etc at the hands of the mechanics there.

My third car 2014 elite i20 CRDI, was the first car which I put in 80k plus km, and now has found a good home at a family friends home, to whom I had sold it to. It now enjoys a well deserved retired life with very less usage. We see the car every now and then while we are at my parents place. This is the car which my wife and I owned after marriage, and has a lot of memories in.

The fourth car, our 2014 nano twist was sold off last week. I have a fair chance to see it around as it was sold to a person who lives close to my current home.

All in, I do feel when your time with a car is up, you need to ensure that the car is passed on to a good home, and move on. May be take up another car and give it a better home.
Old 4th December 2020, 16:10   #42
BHPian

My request to Mods : Pl change the title to

" Have you ever spotted the car that you once owned ? What was your reaction?".

I read the title as " Have you ever spotted your ex's car ?. What was your reaction?".

I was about to write : Terrified.

Last edited by srini1785 : 4th December 2020 at 16:12.
srini1785 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 18:05   #43
BHPian

Oh, that brings a memory back to life. Our 19 year old Zen (carburetor version) was exchanged for Brio by the showroom only. Weirdly, I told the person who used to handle these transactions to take good care of the car. Since, he mentioned that he liked the car and probably will be giving it to his father for city usages. Kind of felt like Bollywood revisit time
Bapuji: "Meri beti ka khyaaal rakhna damaad ji" (Take good care of my daughter, son in law)
Damaad: "Ji sasurji jaroor" (For sure Father in law)
Anyway, I spotted the car near Saharanpur. Glad to see it was in same condition, even had the the Ganesha idol too in the same place.
Old 4th December 2020, 18:05   #44
BHPian

We parted with our beloved Tata Indica Vista about couple of months back. It was our first car and now whenever I look at the pictures its pure nostalgia. The late night monsoon drives, my boy's first car ride, our numerous temple visits; nothing can beat the memories we had in the beautiful car. It is now in the hands of a new owner somewhere in Satara. I do not know how I may react on spotting it but would love to see it some day.
Old 4th December 2020, 18:17   #45
BHPian

Yes. I sold my Linea to a fellow Fiatian. We are part of a common group and even go for breakfast meets.
Happy to see my car being taken care and maintained well.
simplysaj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed