Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 12:03   #1
BHPian

Woman BMW owner forges Ratan Tata’s car number, luxury car seized

After Mumbai Police unearthed the Rs 100 crore scam done by Dilip Chhabria and his associates by tracking a fake number plate, they have now seized a BMW with a forged registration. Mumbai Police have seized the BMW with forged registration number and shockingly, the owner of the car chose a registration number that belongs to the notable industrialist Ratan Tata. The police have also lodged relevant cases against the woman.

Woman BMW owner forges Ratan Tata’s car number, luxury car seized-bmw_seizedratantata.jpg

As per the woman, who was caught with the forged registration number, she did it for numerological reasons. She told the police that she did not realise that the registration number belongs to Ratan Tata. The cops have also said that Ratan Tata received a few challans that were done by this BMW too. Mumbai Police took action after receiving a complaint on the fake registration number. The original number belongs to Ratan Tata’s Corvette.

To catch the BMW with forged registration number, Mumbai Police tracked the car using several CCTV footage. The woman owner’s name is withheld but the cops have revealed that she is a director in a private firm. While scanning through the CCTV footage, the cops also found out several violations done by the vehicle. The Mumbai Police have registered a case under various sections. The woman is held of cheating under section 420 and forgery under 465 of the Indian Penal Code and the Motor Vehicle Act. The police will further investigate the matter to see if this is some kind of racket to evade the tax.

Source : https://www.cartoq.com/woman-bmw-own...as-car-number/
TorqueSteer is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Woman BMW owner forges Ratan Tata’s car number, luxury car seized

Believing in numerology is not an excuse for a forged number! If the woman wanted particular number, she should have approached legally via RTO. It is just a lame excuse.

Also, one gaping hole that I see in the e-Challan system via this post is that the system is not cross-checking the vehicle model or color with the registration plate number.
saikarthik is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
Believing in numerology is not an excuse for a forged number! If the woman wanted particular number, she should have approached legally via RTO. It is just a lame excuse.

Also, one gaping hole that I see in the e-Challan system via this post is that the system is not cross-checking the vehicle model or color with the registration plate number.
Definitely a lame excuse. I think she wanted to show-off her status with the number and got caught. The more fancier your car number is, the richer you are !
Old 6th January 2021, 12:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Also shows how the traffic dept is not being proactive in stopping these luxury cars inspite of repeated violations. The online challans are only to make money, not to actually enforce traffic rules in any meaningful manner. This case was investigated only due to the high profile complainant, otherwise there are so many cases of fake number plates that go un-investigated since there is either no complainant or the complainant is a common man.

Anyways, hope this case is pursued to its logical conclusion and the lady is persecuted for her actions, rather than be let off due to her greasing some palms.
Lalvaz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
If the woman wanted particular number, she should have approached legally via RTO. It is just a lame excuse
And if she can afford for a BMW, cost of buying a fancy number legally is just fractions
My thought is, this is just Mumbai; now we have several metros, 29 states, 8 UT & God knows what should happen when most cars are put through scanner.

Even for my car, the Maker Model is registered as Shri Kumar Trailers Equipments, Maruti S Cross 16 Alpha BS while the owner's name is mine

God knows when someone might show-up with police to repossess my car!!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th January 2021 at 14:09. Reason: edited
aargee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:37   #6
BHPian

Off topic but responses here reminds me of a social bias experiment video, where a white teenager or a white girl were breaking lock of bike in public view and people came and helped them break locks without asking any question. But when a black teenager tried to do the same, people stopped him and accused him of theft.

Here, a women is doing something very illegal and I don't have any reason to not belive that she is involved in some sort of serious crime etc but most comments above are giving her some sort of benifit of doubt just because she is a woman (a BMW driving woman in top). Would we have a same view, if it was man? And driving some sort cheaper vehicle?? And God forbid someone from communities which are not that well off.. I'm sure we would have declared him terrorist without any further investigation. /rant

Gurgaon_lyon is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueSteer View Post
After Mumbai Police unearthed the Rs 100 crore scam done by Dilip Chhabria and his associates by tracking a fake number plate, they have now seized a BMW with a forged registration. Mumbai Police have seized the BMW with forged registration number and shockingly, the owner of the car chose a registration number that belongs to the notable industrialist Ratan Tata. The police have also lodged relevant cases against the woman.

Attachment 2103425

As per the woman, who was caught with the forged registration number, she did it for numerological reasons. She told the police that she did not realise that the registration number belongs to Ratan Tata. The cops have also said that Ratan Tata received a few challans that were done by this BMW too. Mumbai Police took action after receiving a complaint on the fake registration number. The original number belongs to Ratan Tata’s Corvette.

To catch the BMW with forged registration number, Mumbai Police tracked the car using several CCTV footage. The woman owner’s name is withheld but the cops have revealed that she is a director in a private firm. While scanning through the CCTV footage, the cops also found out several violations done by the vehicle. The Mumbai Police have registered a case under various sections. The woman is held of cheating under section 420 and forgery under 465 of the Indian Penal Code and the Motor Vehicle Act. The police will further investigate the matter to see if this is some kind of racket to evade the tax.

Source : https://www.cartoq.com/woman-bmw-own...as-car-number/
This car resides in my area (Five Gardens, Dadar).

As much as I am aware, this might just be a case of the number plate being printed as per the owners aesthetic needs (omitting a zero in the registration) as the actual number is MH01 DK 1110.

Let's see how this unfolds though.

Last edited by seedyk : 6th January 2021 at 13:54. Reason: Correction
seedyk is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:55   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
As much as I am aware, this might just be a case of the number plate being printed incorrectly as the actual number is MH01 DK 1110.
then it is so funny, actually the lady in the article is mentioning numerical reasons. I know people omit the 0 at the beginning, but change at the end LMAO!!

Last edited by GTO : 8th January 2021 at 12:05. Reason: LMAO :)
Jaggu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am curious to know what is her car's real registration number?

Is it really registered OR in the name of numerology, she did not register the car, but used some fancy number that suits her numerology?

Has she paid the LTT tax? If yes, with which registration number?

I honestly think, saving tax money or registration money is not her priority while using this number. Definitely, she has some different agenda in mind
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Now she will count the bars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
then it is so funny, actually the lady in the article is mentioning numerical reasons. I know people omit the 0 at the beginning, but change at the end LMAO!!
Nah, if one owns two BMW cars and has one set of numbers on both - then they save on tax and registration money. In fact in Bangalore, they had unearthed this huge scam which tour bus operators were indulging in. ten buses running different routes would have the same number
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I honestly think, saving tax money or registration money is not her priority while using this number. Definitely, she has some different agenda in mind

Last edited by GTO : 8th January 2021 at 12:05. Reason: Quoted post edited
Sebring is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
As much as I am aware, this might just be a case of the number plate being printed as per the owners aesthetic needs (omitting a zero in the registration) as the actual number is MH01 DK 1110.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
then it is so funny, actually the lady in the article is mentioning numerical reasons. I know people omit the 0 at the beginning, but change at the end LMFAO!!
A different perspective which is quite possible, still it is not legal to omit a number. It sure will be funny and whatever the reason might have been for this confusion, the end result is that someone else got the e-Challans.

My bike's number is 0x3x, but I have not omitted the "0".
saikarthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 17:53   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The BMW appears to be a 5 series from the 2010-2013 model years. Since the car is a dated model, it is unlikely that the lady or whosoever was the first owner, was "blissfully" using the same number plate since 7 years or more, viz. since the car was new.

It is quite likely that the car could have been bought by her as a second owner for a depreciated price tag, from the used car market. And after recently becoming it's owner the Ratan Tata alpha numerical could have been swapped with it's original registration.

These are all just inferences based on assumptions and maybe I stand corrected when the law enforcer's investigation reveals something else.
Old 6th January 2021, 17:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The BMW appears to be a 5 series from the 2010-2013 model years.
Isn't this the latest BMW 5 series variant?
ecenandu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 18:06   #14
BANNED

If the '0' was omitted for numerology reasons, why did she leave the MH01 part?!
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 18:06   #15
BHPian

This is one of the reasons why registration plates should be stamped and installed by the RTO.
black_rider is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks