Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2021, 09:56   #76
BHPian

re: Man drives onto submerged bridge after following Google Maps, drowns to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
They don't respond. And they don't change anything. I suspect they use algorithms to collate complaints and since these complaints do not add to their bottomline, they don't, and won't devote a lot of resources unless compelled to do so by the government.
They don't respond, but the changes reported will take effect. I have reported numerous changes and most of them showed up on the maps - this includes road name changes, accident reports, road blocks, one-way changes, etc. The timeline for the change varies from 24 hours to many days. It is not a manual process of course, but relies on community support from voluntary contributors for validation. In that effect, I think the issues reported will get more "attention" in an area where there are more users - like in cities.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 11:06   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Man drives onto submerged bridge after following Google Maps, drowns to death

Quote:
Hello Team,

Couple of weeks ago we had driven to a place named "Kund Mala" near Talegaon, Pune. It was shocking to see locals crossing an overflowing weir/bund in their cars. One person in his Hyundai Accent was even talking on the phone while crossing!

Imagine this, someone new to this area, dead in the night trying to find their way switches Google maps on. Now maps would lead them straight across this overflowing weir, with no warning signs on road. The attached screenshot is of Google maps and another video of daredevils crossing the water body.

Side Note: Anyone in Pune would find this place good for a short drive or even cycling.

PS: The video was captured on my cell, hence not copyrighted.
Man drives onto submerged bridge after following Google Maps, drowns to death-screenshot_20210114080823_maps.jpg

Thanks to Kundan Rawat for sending this video in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 12:40   #78

Gmaps does not always reroute to save time either. On my recent trip to Sulaipat Dam from Bangriposi it took us through Bishoi and from there wanted us to take a turn where there was not any within a 3 km radius. Ultimately we went through a kachha road where there was 1 foot deep mud. We had to ask a local and he guided us the entire way only to find thay there was a good paved road all the way to the dam.
Old 15th January 2021, 08:10   #79
BANNED

Re: Man drives onto submerged bridge after following Google Maps, drowns to death

My wild guess is that the roads might have been damp. On damp roads,the LED lights can't help one distinguish tarmac from water. The poor soul would have mistook water for a great stretch of tarmac and floored it.

I too have had instances when the maps kept choosing new routes and stopovers randomly and had to be ditched. Once it sent our family in to a deserted place with a road being blocked unexpectedly. There were many instances when IT got lost because it was overcast!

It is best to study the satellite view and take screenshots of tricky turns and then proceed.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th January 2021 at 14:44. Reason: edited
Old 18th January 2021, 11:40   #80
BHPian

Re: Man drives onto submerged bridge after following Google Maps, drowns to death

This is scary. It appears that they were driving in the night but still unable to understand why did anyone drive into the water? Also the civic authorities or the locals could have blocked the access to the non existent bridge. Very sad story
Old 18th January 2021, 18:05   #81
BHPian

May his soul rest in peace.

I have been a regular user of maps, and should say, I started long distance drive largely because of the confidence it gave.

That said have been a victim of it many times as well, and thank God it did not turn to be this dangerous.

Here are some of my close calls using Google maps:
1. Early last decade was visiting various temples in and around Tanjavur, and on my return, it took to me to the middle of a field.
2. Once while travelling to Tirupathi, it took me to a sidelane , resulting in a long scratch, even though I could see the highway straight ahead. I just trusted that it could be a shorter route, until you reached the same place.
3.In 2019, while going from Coimbatore city to Isha, the map showed me path or routes where even a cycle could not go, unless you dared
4. During the same trip, was driving through Salem, and it made me deviate through non-existant road, even though the hotel was on the same side of the highway that I was driving.
5.While driving to Thirunavaya from Palakkad, it took me through a road which was meant to break the car or one's bones, when there were better roads.

But looking at the brighter side, these are only 6 or 7 incidents in the numerous trips I have done thanks to the directions given by google maps in the middle of the night. You just need to be careful , and have a questioning mind, when it shows a route.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 18:40   #82
BHPian

Extremely sorry to the family for the loss. May God give strength to the family.

Google maps are highly unreliable and not to be followed all alone. You should definitely plan your itinerary before hand. I remember, I was driving from Phillaur to Chandigarh and was following Google maps. It took us away from the highway to small village roads. After a half hour's of drive, we were literally in the middle of swamp fields and that too with a sedan. I was stuck in a deserted place with my family. Fortunately, the Ciaz (D) didn't give upon us and took us from their to a village road again. I turned off the google maps and followed a canal that took us back to the highway fortunately.

NEVER TRUST GOOGLE MAPS SOLELY!

Last edited by uditsharma01 : 18th January 2021 at 18:44. Reason: spellings
Old 5th August 2022, 14:16   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Something similar but luckily all escaped unharmed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks