Team-BHP > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Do automatic transmissions make drivers more disciplined?
Yes. 190 44.71%
No. 36 8.47%
Neither. Depends on the driver 199 46.82%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2021, 16:35   #61
BHPian

Re: Do automatic transmissions make drivers calmer, less stressed & more disciplined?

Depends on the driver and the car as well.

I have two cars, one automatic and one manual. Actually the Crysta Manual is bought after the Baleno automatic.

I drive more peacefully in Innova Manual than any other car I owned before (Wagon R Manual, Swift Manual, XUV 500 Manual).

I was at my driving worst during my Swift days and I am at my driving best when I am in my Innova Crysta Manual.
Old 18th January 2021, 17:19   #62
BHPian

Re: Do automatic transmissions make drivers calmer, less stressed & more disciplined?

Nothing makes me a more disciplined driver than keeping an eye on the instantaneous fuel efficiency reading. The constant reminder not to have instant acceleration, not to brake and accelerate continuously, be sure to coast (in gear) on slopes, finding the perfect rpm sweet spot , all this comes effortlessly when I have one eye on that metre. My duster MT or my in laws ecosport AT , the constant effort to run that metre at maximum makes me a more disciplined driver
nettooran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 17:42   #63
BHPian

This is indeed a very thought provoking thread. I took a pause to think about the past 30 years of my driving and how it has varied over time.

The first automatic I owned in India was the first edition of the Polo GT TSI. While I bought it for its performance. I used to find it a tad off the handle to drive. In traffic especially I always felt helpless having minimal control of how much the car would move forward (or dart forward) and I could not modulate anything without a clutch. This caused me to be irritable many a time while driving.

However I have noticed that driving a CVT City, I am much calmer, composed and perfectly okay in traffic as well, as compared to the VW's (had more than one VW DSG). But what makes me feel in total control is the previous generation Civic manual. As per me (or perhaps for a person with my temperament) the size, handling, power are so spot on, that I am smooth and quick almost 100% of the time.

My theory is, the car size, the feeling of space on the inside and more linear power, also play a large hand in being more disciplined.
Old 18th January 2021, 18:16   #64
BHPian

This topic is so close to my heart!

I have a ACL ligament tear in my right knee because of which my left knee is always stressed as it has to bear most of the load while walking or other activities. Because of this, while driving a manual in:
  • Bumper to bumper traffic
  • Or long distances over highways
my legs start to hurt badly and I become annoyed/irritated at the same rate.

I have owned/driven multiple cars with:
  • Light and short clutch - like Etios Liva Petrol, Celerio MT, Brio MT
  • Cars with average clutch - average travel and not so light/heavy - Abarth Punto, WR-V, Corolla
  • and Automatics - Brio AT, Celerio AMT, Polo GT TSI (DSG)
and I have always find myself calmer in automatics. I was the most calm in Celerio AMT. But more disciplined? No.

I might be a special case scenario for this discussion, but I have even seen multiple MT drivers, specially cab drivers, starting to get annoyed and driving rashly towards the end of the journey, if the journey is long. This behaviour almost concides with mine.

Due to this I have been contemplating to sell my existing MT cars - Abarth Punto and Liva - to buy an AT like Figo AT or something similar.
Old 18th January 2021, 18:53   #65
BHPian

Voted Yes !

I am with my first automatic ever since December 4th in the form of Harrier XZA+ and I feel much relaxed than how it used to be while driving my Ecosport Manual transmission.

My first long trip was to kodaikanal and in spite of the vehicles width being a problem, felt much relaxed while driving, especially uphill. On a manual vehicle, we will be stressed with continuous gear shifting and will reach the destination with an aching the left leg (Just my experience).

Even with sports mode available for instant tap on power, I prefer a relaxed pick up in city or eco mode in my car and use sports mode only on empty stretch of highways.
Old 18th January 2021, 18:55   #66
BHPian

Question- is it better to get an automatic for people who don't drive themselves? Hired drivers often don't care about the clutch and it wears out faster. An automatic can save that expense in the long run. Is this correct?
Old 18th January 2021, 19:47   #67
Sen
BHPian

I think impatience breeds indiscipline, and an inordinate amount of rage builds when you are in essence jailed by your car in traffic when you need to commute, which itself is one of the major reasons for the lawbreaking on the road.

I personally think the transmission has nothing to do with it.
Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 21:18   #68
BHPian

Personally, I am in my mid 20s and I own a 2012 Honda City Automatic (TC). I owned a Palio 1.2 before and I live in a crowded place with horrible roads.

Automatic has kept me saner that I thought. I can switch to Sports on highways, but I couldn't imagine the constant gear changing needed in the city which I hated before.

Cooler heads equated cooler responses, and I'm very short tempered. My driving manners remain the same. Well mannered that is.

In my perspective, it's similar to me preferring a scooter in the city over the CBR250R.

The convenience of it triumphs for me.

As long it gives me the best of both worlds, I'm happy.

Last edited by ManasN95 : 18th January 2021 at 21:20. Reason: Added points.
Old 18th January 2021, 22:03   #69
BHPian

I think this is more situational rather than the driver or car specific.

I never get frustrated while driving a manual on the open highways and freeways or even in moderate traffic. But when it is about heavy traffic, honestly I get irritated after some time.

This doesn't happen in automatic since I don't need to physically stress myself.
Old 18th January 2021, 22:05   #70
BHPian

Voted Neither.

Type of transmission has nothing to do with road discipline, if I may state so. That has more to do with the user. An undisciplined motorist will put his life as well as others' lives in danger at every available opportunity, be it he who is shifting the gears or the machine that does it for him. An AT makes the job easy for the driver, but that doesn't equate to him being disciplined, for he can still drive like a lawless wreck. On the other hand, one could still drive a manual in a disciplined manner, though the current road conditions are making it near impossible to drive one without losing your composure or cool.

Peace.
Old 18th January 2021, 22:05   #71
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

In my case it boils down to the car. Although both the cars at home are MTs, I regularly drive AT equipped vehicles. Give me a DSG equipped vehicle or a nice TC + Turbodiesel and I’ll definitely push it. Bring in some AMT and I would prefer taking a cab. I am not a big fan of CVTs but I can live with them and drive them calmly.
Old 18th January 2021, 23:23   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Calmer and less stressed, to an extent yes. Discipline is a perosnal trait, car does not and will not change it.

Personally from the time i have picked Vento TSI, last 5 years have been bliss, i don't dread the traffic of bangalore anymore, and once you make peace with small dings and dents on the car that you will invariably get, it makes life that much more easier.

I can never imagine me going back to a manual car ever, i will even prefer a cheaper automatic car over a high end manual car if given a choice.

Last edited by AtheK : 18th January 2021 at 23:25.
Old 18th January 2021, 23:39   #73
BHPian

I believe, it depends on the driver.

The harder and long travelling clutch of my Duster AWD actually influenced my decision to get an automatic when buying the second car for my wife. I ended by getting the Vento 1.6 petrol auto. It does make driving a lot stress free.

It is not the most enthusiastic shifter out there, but it is not slow either. Heck, sometimes I actually drive it in Sports mode and overtake more enthusiastically than my Duster, when I get pissed off with the hard diesel clutch of the Duster and short gearing asking for more frequent shifts!

(The S mode in VW Vento is actually similar to my manual style of driving, it shifts at aroundn 3K and it is a pleasure to drive. Strangely, the mileage doesn't drop significantly.)
Old 18th January 2021, 23:53   #74

I would say automatic transmission make people less stressed but not more disciplined. I don't think driving habits change with transmission and eventually people settle in with the same old habits.

The only observation I can make is that Celerio drivers do not seem more disciplined than Alto (presumed manual) drivers. They have similar road manners in general.

To the point that people feel less stressful with an automatic in bumper to bumper traffic, I see people feeling stressed even when they are not in the driving seat. It depends from person to person but automatic makes the driver less tired so less stressed overall.
Old 19th January 2021, 00:29   #75
BHPian

I've had manual cars all my driving life, except for the last 1.5 years. I have driven extensively in India and abroad - cars, hatchbacks, SUVs in both manuals and automatics.

Coming to driving stress - yes, automatics reduces the driving stress significantly. Even though it is hard to justify how a change in transmission tech can change the driving characteristics - the fact of the matter is Auto transmission drivers are calmer, cooler and in better mood than their manual counterparts. This is my personal experience.

Most Viewed