Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2007, 10:10   #1
BHPian

Keep your First Aid Kits updated

Dear BHPians,

How many of us keep our first aid kits updated(relacing expired medicines).

You all are concious people & i am sure everyone is following it, unfortunately i didnt.

On friday 13 April, i along with my friends, parked our cars at Huda gymkhana club-gurgaon, for a weekend get together, there was a function going on & till the time we came out, many people have parked there cars in a highly irresponsible manner just behind our cars.

at 11:00pm in night, this was really frustating, so we went on a walk. To my surprise on the footpath, some idiot has installed Barbed Wire at the eye level(i am 5'11"). It was so dark, that i could not see it, fortunately i was wearing spectacles.

The barbed wire was hit at specs first, then made a 2 inch long nasty cut under my right eye(i was fortunate that my eye is intact). It was bleeding profusely, i headed for my car, but unfortunately the first Aid ointment was well past its expiry date.

driven one hour to delhi, went to the hospital with a swollen eye & a deep cut, got first aid only 1:30 hours after the incident.

So guys, i have realised now, how important is it to keep first aid kit updated, have learnt a lesson.

Please check your first-aid kits today & have it in your car.
arunforu1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2007, 12:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi Arun,
Hope your eye is fine now.
Having first aid kits and its contents updated is something that we all need to do, although one tends to overlook that at times.

Barbed wire at such a height?? What was beyond that barbed fence?
Old 18th April 2007, 11:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Hi Arun,
Hope your eye is fine now.
Having first aid kits and its contents updated is something that we all need to do, although one tends to overlook that at times.

Barbed wire at such a height?? What was beyond that barbed fence?
its funny that a single barbed wire at that hight & that too on footpath(i hope footpath are meant for walking hahahaha)...& nothing beyond that, but the parking space.

my eye is fine now, but scar will be there for a long time.
Old 12th June 2007, 01:04   #4
BHPian

Speaking of first aid kits, when it says "unsterilized" on the gauze pad, are there pads you can buy which are sterilized?

Or how do you sterilize the pad?
Old 12th June 2007, 01:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
Speaking of first aid kits, when it says "unsterilized" on the gauze pad, are there pads you can buy which are sterilized?

Or how do you sterilize the pad?
You can get sterilized pads. They generally come in a sealed packing. IIRC, they are called surgical pads. Remember buying some in Pune once.
Old 12th June 2007, 03:42   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

but why did u drive to delhi for first aid? there are good hospitals in gurgaon,minutes from huda gymkhana club.
Old 12th June 2007, 07:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
Dear BHPians,

How many of us keep our first aid kits updated(relacing expired medicines).
You all are concious people & i am sure everyone is following it, unfortunately i didnt.

Please check your first-aid kits today & have it in your car.
I hope your are fine now Arun. Thanks for such a sound advice. I think I need to upgrade my first aid box.
Old 12th June 2007, 08:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well according to a few doctors I know if an ointment tube has never been opened and it has expired then you can still use that ointment. The only thing that happens to most of the general medicines post expiry is that they loose their healing efficiency a little bit. So if that tube has never been used before then you still go ahead and use it in an emergency which your case clearly was.

Note: Of course it always helps to keep your kit up to date.

Last edited by vikram_d : 12th June 2007 at 08:17.
Old 12th June 2007, 08:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

A good reminder for most folks. BTW, are you sure the barbed wire was at eye level & on the footpath ? It was late in the night, you know ?
Old 12th June 2007, 10:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
A good reminder for most folks. BTW, are you sure the barbed wire was at eye level & on the footpath ? It was late in the night, you know ?
yes i am quite sure coz,me & my friend rechecked it....it was indeed at eye level, i dont know who was the stupid fellow to install it at that level, that too on footpath, worst thing was nothing below it.

thank god my specs saved my eye.

i am perfectly alright now, the scar has healed fully, leaving a slight mark which is now hardly noticeable.
Old 12th June 2007, 11:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
but why did u drive to delhi for first aid? there are good hospitals in gurgaon,minutes from huda gymkhana club.
you are right, there are lot of hospitals near by, but nothing striked at that moment & i headed straight for home in delhi.As i was already late, parents were shouting over the phone, adding up some idiot parked his car in a manner that i could not take it out & then got the scratched eye, funny.

As soon as i returned for ointment, mr. irresponsible had removed his car, so first thing struck was to head home(i was silly), but it happens hahahaha. So got treatment at a hospital near my home.
Old 12th June 2007, 18:30   #12
BHPian

Although car/motorcycle dealers provide a kit in name only as an afterthought, what should be in a real first aid or emergency kit that would actually come in handy in an accident?

Sterilized gauze pad
Potable water
Ointment
Savlon

what else?
Old 13th June 2007, 15:44   #13
BHPian

Very good thread. It's true not only for car first aid kit but at home too. I learned this the hard way last evening when I tried using a band-aid that had (apparently) lost it's stickiness totally. Not sure if it's because of expiry date or improper storage / heat etc. but none of the band-aids in the pack would stick!
Old 13th June 2007, 20:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

My two pennies worth:

Although my first aid kit is not updated in both my vehicles (I'll do so very shortly) I noticed something in fine print (which we don't read at all) on certain items mentioned that they need to be stored in cool dry place.

Now, with the vehicle standing in the open the inside temperature reaches above 50+ C during these months. Even in winter, I've noticed on my temp gauge that mercury rises to 35 during daytime although outside is much much cooler.

What is one supposed to do in such cases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Very good thread. It's true not only for car first aid kit but at home too. I learned this the hard way last evening when I tried using a band-aid that had (apparently) lost it's stickiness totally. Not sure if it's because of expiry date or improper storage / heat etc. but none of the band-aids in the pack would stick!
Old 14th June 2007, 11:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
My two pennies worth:

Although my first aid kit is not updated in both my vehicles (I'll do so very shortly) I noticed something in fine print (which we don't read at all) on certain items mentioned that they need to be stored in cool dry place.

Now, with the vehicle standing in the open the inside temperature reaches above 50+ C during these months. Even in winter, I've noticed on my temp gauge that mercury rises to 35 during daytime although outside is much much cooler.

What is one supposed to do in such cases?
very pratical querry.

i think we should keep first aid kit in boot, as there is no greenhouse effect there, due to lack of sunlight in boot.It is always cooler than cabin of car parked in sun. European cars provide space for first aid kit in boot.

Alternative is to make a small kit & carry it along with your bad/brief case(may not be practical idea for all)

Good input gd1418

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks