Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2007, 17:30   #1
BHPian

Roadrage, albeit of a different kind!

Here is a story from my Monday evening commute back home.
I was driving from Tidel Park to Velachery and was on the Taramani- Velachery road.

Most people from Chennai would perhaps already know that this stretch is any/every driver's nightmare with lorries, trucks , buses , pedestrians, cycle, bikers and cars jostling for every available inch of space on this 1.5 (barely) lane road, and yet a lot of vehicles manage to drive at 60+ speeds on it :O

Additionally, like everywhere else in Chennai, most bikers and some autowallahs drive under the assumption that overtaking from the left is the accepted mode of overtaking and this day wasn't any different either.

(Most of you would already know how this works), you are driving along, and an biker would suddenly overtake you from the left, ignore your presence altogether and cut in front of you forcing you to brake....

Once in a while (perhaps once a week or so), i get in a situation where while a biker is overtaking me from the left, there would be a lorry/bus speeding towards me head on in my lane leaving me with no option but to brake to a crawl, give the left signal, let the biker overtake and veer to the left , maybe get off the road to let the truck/bus pass.

Same thing happens yesterday and this time, there was not one but two bikers and the oncoming vehicle a jittery MTC bus...Anyway, I braked but still no room to veer, fortunately, the bus guy also braked well in advance (probably his high vantage point helped him see that there was no way I could have given way)

Anyway, cursing those jokers under my breath, I started off again, while the two batbrained brats had already sped away.

now typically in a situation like this, if you were to meet the objects of your wrath right that moment, you first reaction would be to blow their heads off..right? so would I have...but yesterday was different

After driving another couple of kms and reaching close to my house, I stopped near a small shop to pick up some cigarettes, and spotted the bikers taking a break there, smoking and chatting

So I walk up to them, and very politely tell them this:

"Sir, You may not remember, or probably not even have noticed that you overtook me from the wrong side a few minutes ago,
what you would certainly not remember is there was a bus coming onto me that very moment.

Unfortunately, in a situation like that, the only option that remains from me is to cut to the left , and in the process, crash into you or whoever is overtaking me from the wrong side.
Now for a moment, imagine the kind of grief and woe you and your family would undergo if that were to happen.

Also, I doubt if you can, but try imagining the kind of scars such an incident would leave on me!"

And I walked off....The stunned expression on their face was priceless!!!!

The satisfaction i got by doing this instead of shouting at those jokers (and boiling my own blood) ..priceless again!

Perhaps it were the time gap between the incident and me getting a chance to vent my anger, I don't really know, but all I can say is this road rage experience for me was far better than any other

Last edited by adya33 : 17th April 2007 at 17:59.
Old 17th April 2007, 17:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good on you abhi, but i doubt if those punks learnt anything out of it. Nevertheless, you did the right thing.
cheers
Old 17th April 2007, 18:03   #3
BHPian

I have had a similar experience ... well sort of. About a year ago, when I was returning home, on a rather deserted road, there was a guy going on scooter with his wife and their kid between them. Now he was in his lane and I was in mine and suddenly, for no apparent reason, he just decided to come into my lane and I had to brake hard to avoid him. I sat on the horn in my anger and as soon as I could, levelled off to his left and gave him an angry stare. At times I think he hadn't even noticed me but I think he tried to ignore me and I shouted, "What!? What was that?" and his reaction? To shout back with "Dekh ke nahin chalata kya?" (Don't you watch where you're going when you drive?). My only response at that time was to say normally, "Apni biwi bachhe ka to soch leta..." (At least you should have thought of your wife and kid) with a shake of my head in resignation to show my disgust, to which he just stared back with his mouth agape... The expression on his face -- the one where somebody realises how much they have just risked for no reason and how close they came to losing it all -- that was priceless.
Old 17th April 2007, 19:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

abhi, on a monday I can imagine !! You did the right thing by saying that. Hats off to you mate.
Quote:
"Sir, You may not remember, or probably not even have noticed that you overtook me from the wrong side a few minutes ago,
what you would certainly not remember is there was a bus coming onto me that very moment.

Unfortunately, in a situation like that, the only option that remains from me is to cut to the left , and in the process, crash into you or whoever is overtaking me from the wrong side.
Now for a moment, imagine the kind of grief and woe you and your family would undergo if that were to happen.

Also, I doubt if you can, but try imagining the kind of scars such an incident would leave on me!"
What better ways could that miserable feeling of helplessness be induced into some moron's brains. You rock bro' ..
Old 17th April 2007, 19:12   #5
BHPian

^^ Like I said, it was probably the 5-10 min time gap between the incident and me actually (and accidentally) bumping into those jerks

Else I couldn't have helped but to get into the typical gali -galauj mode :(
Old 17th April 2007, 19:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

Valid point there, abhi.. if it wasnt for the brief time gap in between, you would have sworn those guys to Kingdom Come. This way you were able to cool down, which is when one begins to think logically, and so present your side of the matter to them.

Such hard hitting facts, would make them think about it for a while... although if that would make them better riders... i DONT think so. Sooner or later, as is the norm in this country, every good driver becomes a bad one.. and a bad one gets worse.
Old 17th April 2007, 19:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

A similar thing happened to me yesterday when waiting at a signal. A scooterist squeezed between me and a truck standing to my right. Suddenly the truck started taking a left turn and i thought the scooterist is going to be under the truck's rear wheel. He has to lean and almost hit my car to let the truck pass.
I just asked the scooterist (a college going student) whether it's worth to risk his life to squeeze through a small gap. I asked him to think about his family. I could see him giggling behind his helmet. All i could feel is sorry for his family.
Old 17th April 2007, 23:58   #8
BHPian

This is a very common one in cities. The other day I was driving to office and one middle aged person on scooter was going in the left lane looking at shops and in the sky, I was in the middle one. I started suspecting this guy would trouble me, just then he veers to right and brushes my front bumper in the left hand side corner.

I went a little ahead stopped and asked him what are you trying to do, he says " meri gaadi ko maar ke baat kar rahe ho, hoshiyaar mat bano" (You came hit me, dont be smart). I had to tell him "aap hoshiyaar ban rahe ho, jaise marji vaise chalate ho. Gaadi ke neeche aa gaye baat karte ho. oope dekhte gaadi chalao aur doosron ko sunao, circus kar rah ho kyaa" (Mr. you are the one acting smart, driving everywhere on the road looking in the sky, you came under the vehicle, now trying to blame me, you belong in circus or what. I realized talking to this guy would be useless and went off.

Last night I slowed down at a gap in divider as the car ahead of me was turning right. I started going forward as a scooter fellow took a right turn across me from left. I did not even have a chance to honk.

I decided to drive to/ fro office only during early and late hours.
Old 18th April 2007, 10:21   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I
Last night I slowed down at a gap in divider as the car ahead of me was turning right. I started going forward as a scooter fellow took a right turn across me from left. I did not even have a chance to honk.

I decided to drive to/ fro office only during early and late hours.
Sreeni, this would definitely help with improving mileage as well as lower chances of high blood pressure.
Old 18th April 2007, 17:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Most of you would already know how this works), you are driving along, and an biker would suddenly overtake you from the left, ignore your presence altogether and cut in front of you forcing you to brake....
I always try to drive as far as possible on the left, so that there is no room for any one to overtake me from the left,
If there is a slower moving vehicle ahead, Look back, switch the indicator and overtake.

Though tedious, helps you on the long run especially when buses decide to overtake you from the left and cut in the front
Old 18th April 2007, 17:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Oh! the many scratches & dents on my car in the left fender & bumper area !!! there really is nothing to do when this happens in thick traffic except curse your luck.
Old 18th April 2007, 18:25   #12
Team-BHP Support

One of a kind sorts, well done mate.

manson.
Old 18th April 2007, 20:32   #13
BHPian

My sympathies; however I dont think it affected the other blokes.
But you did good - it's just not worth the trouble. Dont lower your windows ever. Swear loudly within the cabin. The only drawback I have with this is the horror my passengers have, listening to the colorful stream of profanities.
Old 18th April 2007, 20:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good show Abhi!
You kept the cool which is very tough sometimes!
Old 18th April 2007, 20:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

you all are saying that scooters and bikes overtake from the left in chandigarh even buses trucks and cars overtake from the left

last year i was coming back from my anuts place and the driver was driving and suddently a bus come from the left and takes alway with it the fender and bumper of the car

the bus wala didn't even stop and he when on my driver is sort of a mad person kind of person who needs anger management he drives as fast as he could and stops the bus and they had a huge fight The bus driver wasn't agreeing that he had bangged into our car but few bystander who saw the whole seen came and supported the driver in the end the bus was impounded and driver was a arrested maybe(as mom called the other car and we came back home so i am not clear with this fact)

Last edited by manikjeet : 18th April 2007 at 20:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks