Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2021, 13:47   #31
BHPian

Re: The 80 & 120 kmph speed alert system | Brands that implemented it poorly

All these annoying speeds alerts don't make any sense to me!.

Understandably, it is for safety reasons of course. But all they need to do is just a simple mild warning or a beep for couple of seconds at crazy speeds. On some of our expressways, it is quite possible to get carried away and reach speeds almost subconsciously.

They don't need to sound a continuous fire alarm that 'drives' people inside crazy.

Oh shut up!. I know what speed I am at .
Old 27th January 2021, 14:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
BMW has merely copied Mercedes. If you remember way back last year I mentioned this in my GLC review:
Read your review multiple times before the GLC FL was finalized

Totally agree with you that after 120 Kmph the beeps just drive you insane. So whenever I drive it, I just stick to cruising speeds < 120.

Yet to drive a BMW and check it's speed warnings

The problem is it just minimizes the music volume and hence you feel irritated sometimes. Drove the Seltos as well which has the 80,120 chime alert but that isn't too obtrusive. Turn up the volume and the speed chime isn't too noticeable.
4WheelPilot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 14:29   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sure can. Any tuner will do it.

Just to clarify:

80 kmph:

Nice cars - A subtle chime with a warning on the MID

BMW - LOUD chime, with the music volume dropping momentarily

120 kmph:

Nice cars - A subtle, classy continuous beep. It's there, you can hear it, but it's bearable.

BMW - LOUD continuous beeping + music volume permanently lowered .

It is, indeed, frustrating.

Regarding getting it 'worked' by the tuner, when asked the question during buying my X4 last Oct, BMW Sales Manager told that doing so might void warranty and the service team looks at it keenly.

Old 27th January 2021, 15:12   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Does this void warranty?..
i.e. can the Service center realise you've made the change once you go for your next service and use it as an excuse should you claim warranty down the line for something?

Thanks.
Yes of course. Any changes to the coding of the ECUs can be read and if the dealer wants, they can use this against the warranty of the vehicle. But this will rarely happen unless the dealer is hell bent to do some detective work. Usually when the ECU is updated during service or flashed, the SCN codes also get reset to the local configuration that the dealer has. But before that, if they ever try to read the code already present, then it will clearly show differences in the key and if at all this is recorded by them, then its trouble.

Best is to not mention about this to the service personnel. And like others mentioned, if someone is charging money to disable these alerts, they better offer lifetime service support since every time the ECU will be reset or flashed with new software, you will have these warnings back.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 15:15   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_aithal View Post
Regarding getting it 'worked' by the tuner, when asked the question during buying my X4 last Oct, BMW Sales Manager told that doing so might void warranty and the service team looks at it keenly.
Correct. BLR BMW workshops are generally more OCD about such things, unlike BOM or NCR ones who quietly ignore such mods.

On a lighter note, TAFE Skoda (again in BLR) made a detailed note of my Octavia's glued-on paddle shifters, and actually made it part of my poor car's 'history'. I was verbally 'warned' not to fit such things lest it violates warranty on crucial parts.

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th January 2021 at 15:42.
Old 27th January 2021, 15:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

What purpose do these alarms serve? You don't have them in other countries. Better option would be to have a dedicated sim card in all vehicles which continuously transmits location and speed data. People who continuously break the limits can be easily fined. Safe speed depends on the road and the traffic. There are locations where safe speed is 30 Kph and there are other locations where 200 Kph is also safe.

At bit OT but this is the rule for ships:
COLREGS RULE 6 SAFE SPEED: Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.

Just highlighted a few words, if you use the same logic on the road, it makes equally perfect sense.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 27th January 2021 at 15:38.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 16:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

With such an implementation of the over-speeding alerts, I'm pretty sure that 60% of prospective customers will be left wondering whether it's meaningful to spend a large amount of money on such amazing highway cars. Potential deal breaker IMO for the non auto enthusiast who will eventually settle on a Superb/Camry/Passat at a lower price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
What purpose do these alarms serve? You don't have them in other countries. Better option would be to have a dedicated sim card in all vehicles which continuously transmits location and speed data. People who continuously break the limits can be easily fined.
Sorry, but it's better to avoid giving more ideas to the government! Speed limits are imposed on highways as a means for revenue generation for the state. Safety is just the excuse. Refer my experience here:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4985004 (Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals)

The audible warnings are done only for the sake of it. It's based on an ill informed idea that speed is the cause of all accidents and not the lack of proper driving skills and etiquette among our fellow citizens.
Quote:
At bit OT but this is the rule for ships:
COLREGS RULE 6 SAFE SPEED: Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.
Totally agree! Defensive driving is key to safety. Not outright speed.

Last edited by Turbohead : 27th January 2021 at 16:22.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 16:30   #38
BHPian

At least in the new Jazz, the 80KM chime is feeble. Its like," OK I DID CHIME FOR YOU". I didn't try the 120 KM one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Better option would be to have a dedicated sim card in all vehicles which continuously transmits location and speed data. People who continuously break the limits can be easily fined.
Oh no please don't give these type of ideas any where. I hope no one in the agency looks into this idea. There are so many greats in the agencies who will implement this in a manner, we will be terrified to take the car out.
Old 27th January 2021, 17:38   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
My guess is that whatever CBU products are imported in that 2500 per year quota that does not require homologation, will not have this. That exemption from homologation requirements can be used to skip this.

All other CBUs imported but outside that quota still require homologation, and they will need these alarms.

This is my guess. I could be wrong though.
Your guess seems to be right. My T-Roc doesn't have these speed warning chimes. Simply love driving without those warning dongs/ chimes
royalbeat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 18:24   #40
BHPian

Damn! Ultimate driving pleasure now with ultimate aural displeasure? Looks like BMW can't catch a break. I feel for that hapless BMW owner who wants to find solace from that hideous grille by getting into the car and driving off, only to get irritated by this!
GKR9900 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 18:32   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
I might sound ignorant but since when has this 80 and 120 kmph warning been mandated ?

I ask because my 3 year old Compass doesn't have it. I have set the "settable" chime in the Compass at 110 kmph. That's it.
It was mandated for all cars manufactured post June/July 2019.

My Tiguan is an Aug 2019 manufactured model and I missed it by a couple of months. I would have absolutely requested an older car if it was available because the beeps are very difficult to deal with.

The 80kmh chimes once and leaves a MID notification that lasts a little too long. The 120kmh continuous beeping is a little too loud for quieter music to drown out. It needs to be really bumping to cover it up. But during a call, the beep will drown out every other noise the person listening will hear.

It can be removed with some coding by tuners, either as part of a remap or alone. I've heard prices ranging from 2.5k to 5k.
Old 27th January 2021, 19:48   #42
BHPian

The GLC chime isn't bad but still continuous. The worst part is that it will chime in while the family is sleeping and everyone will wake up or stir a bit. Try that 79 - 81kmph chime a few times and there are death stares coming from the back seat. Not to mention the headaches after the first hour or so.

The driver and I both have invested in headphones.. Just turn it up, ignore the chime and we are good to go.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 21:23   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
I might sound ignorant but since when has this 80 and 120 kmph warning been mandated ?

I ask because my 3 year old Compass doesn't have it. I have set the "settable" chime in the Compass at 110 kmph. That's it.
From July 1, 2019 it has been mandatory. Most automakers implemented it months in advance so some of the new cars launched even in late 2018 had these implemented.

Am I glad I bought my BMW in 2017 well before these irritating warnings were implemented! What’s the fun of having a BMW if you can’t drive it fast on highway trips without getting stressed and irritated?
Old 27th January 2021, 21:38   #44
BHPian

The Warning Chime in my MG Hector is low and bearable and not harsh, and in the Civic it’s irritating but it’s okay. But my WagonR’s is the most irritating , however, I strongly advice not to take a WagonR above 80 even on highways
NarediAni7518 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 21:41   #45
BANNED

Polo/Vento/Rapid are one of the worst offenders. The audio alarm is still fine but it freezes the MID and it just shows 80kmph. It can't be toggled to any other parameter and the digital speedo can't be viewed either. Very stupid when you are on a drive and can't see the trip computer or any other data
Fortunately easy to disable with VCDS. Have done in a few cars.
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed