Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2007, 18:19   #31
BHPian

cause of spin is:
turn accompained with braking+gravel particles (assuming one side either rh/lh on gravel, vehicle must have rotated opposite side of gravel)+one side brakes grabbing more than other(caliper adjustment mentioned by mechanic).
Old 23rd April 2007, 18:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Can someone guide me why do the tires make that screeching sound even on normal drives while turning...
When was the last time you got your wheel alignment checked - and your wheel balancing done?
Old 24th April 2007, 00:52   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Road had Sand on it. I had to apply emergency brakes...and I didt expect it to go that bad...someone the car stopped without flipping...but now I know...sand on the road is BAD for cars as it is for the bikers...
Sand and gravel both can cause instant loss of traction, no matter how badass your tyres are or whether you have 94piston calipers or 335/20R45 tyres on the front... its super dangerous when you intend to change directions on these surfaces and i think more car drivers need to realise this (compared to bike riders most of whom know this well).

However, my concern is that you mention that you "applied emergency brakes" > do you mean you pulled the handbrake? or that you just hit the brakes really hard ?

If you pulled the handbrake hard, (even if there wasnt sand on the road) going into a sharp turn at 50-60, chances are your car will spin....

Quote:
Can someone guide me why do the tires make that screeching sound even on normal drives while turning...does it mean they need to be changed. 3 months back when I had shown the car to the JK tires guy, he said they should last about 1 year more. My car is done close to 30K in 2 years
The screeching sound sounds strange... have you checked your alignment etc?

Also, ive never driven a car with JK tyres... but it is quiiite possible that they are not providing as much grip as other tyres would have...

cya
R
Old 24th April 2007, 09:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

All,

The car is back from the service center. The following things were checked there:

1. Checked all the tires for punctures - Not Found
2. Steering Column - had lost the alignment (or balance) which as per the service guy stated might have caused the spin.
3. Brakes cleaned and new brake oil put in.
4. Gears checked and now working like a showroom fresh car.

Also, As someone questioned when was the last wheel balancing done - It was in october. I get it done almost every 6 months and I meant by the emergency brakes was slamming them hard and not the hand brake. Apologies for the confusion .

The total cost of the service 1111/- (yes, you read it right. AMC's help!)
The weird part is that all these problems had started occuring right after the last service and disappeared after this one...May be because I told them that some of the problems are happening right after the last service (the steering one - though it was negligible but the car used to drift apart).

All said and done, I am happy to have survived and can manage to write the exams this weekend!

Life is hard, lets face it together!
Old 24th April 2007, 13:02   #35
rks
BANNED

Glad to hear that your problems are solved. So your tyre noise problem and frequent loss of pressure are now solved? It seems to me that noisy tyres are a tell-tale signature of low tyre pressures, assuming your tyres had enough tread on them. What is the explanation given by the service centre for noisy tyres that lose pressure frequently?

My suggestion is that, as a matter of routine, get your tyres checked separately at a good tyre shop, not at the service centre. The serivice guys do not have the time (and possibly, the equipment) to do a thorough job of checking alignment/balancing.
Old 24th April 2007, 14:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the noise is gone...they said "probably" it was a minute puncture in one of the tires...yes, the tread is very much there and I check it using the coin funda!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks