Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is cycling a viable option for urban commuting?
Yes 108 45.57%
No 129 54.43%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2021, 10:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?

Cycling as a commuting option

Ever since its introduction as a form of mobility, the bicycle has remained an integral part of our transport system. Even our community of petrolheads has a dedicated and flourishing thread on bicycles.

Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-02b98412c2a14967b9a6f0414a4e0051.jpg

Health benefits of cycling:

1. Acts as a form of exercise. As the urban India tackles lifestyle diseases, cycling is an effective way to combat them. Effective for weight loss too.
2. Intensive cycling will strengthen your abs, lumbar muscles, glutes, pecs, arms, and all muscle groups in your legs.
3. Starting your day with cycling causes the brain to secrete the feel-good chemicals of Serotonin and Dopamine.
4. Improves your mood and allows you to be more positive.
5. It's a conversation starter, and you meet many new people.

Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-img_4376.jpg

Cycling for commuting too has its benefits. Some of the most significant ones include no consumption of fuel and zero pollution. In other countries, including many in Europe, people have warmed up to cycling for commuting. However, how feasible is it here in India? I have been cycling since a long time now and here are some of my observations.

Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-b626a7965a0b42a2bd1af67ca0f79134.jpg

I have met many cyclists from higher income groups who commute to work - sometimes upwards of 25 km one way every day. According to them, as long as you have the right kind of motivation, all other things are trivial. Trips less than 10 km are easily viable on a bicycle. These could include school trips by students, local errands, going to meet friends etc.

Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-img_3721.jpg

However, one of the biggest reasons for people not taking to cycling in the cities is the social factor. The bicycle is not looked at as an aspirational vehicle in social circles. The majority of people who commute by bicycle are from the lower income strata. They use it as a means to save money over bus / train and time compared to walking. You will spot many newspaper delivery guys, milkmen, postmen and these days, even a few of the Zomato / Swiggy guys using bicycles.

Here's a look at the advantages and disadvantages of using a bicycle to commute.

Advantages of cycling as a commuting option:

1. Multiple health benefits as stated above.
2. You can park just about anywhere. You can take your cycle right up to a shop or the restaurant that you are going to and avoid the problem of finding a parking spot for your car.
3. You can save considerable time, especially in rush hour traffic. A bicycle can move faster through traffic than a car.
4. You do not have to spend on fuel. With petrol touching Rs. 100 a liter, cycling might appeal to some.
5. You do not cause any pollution and reduce your carbon footprint. There are no emissions coming out of a bicycle.
6. You can save on toll. Bicycles are allowed to go free almost anywhere.

Disadvantages of cycling as a commuting option:

1. Shower facilities at work are a necessity, especially considering the hot, humid and dusty conditions prevalent in our country.
2. It is not as safe as a car. While you are always more aware on a cycle, there is an inherent risk in sharing the road with motorized vehicles. Besides, you have to look out for potholes and bad patches on the road.
3. Most of the road infrastructure has been designed keeping motorized vehicles in mind. Things like junctions, flyovers etc. could be a tricky to use particularly for a novice cyclist.
4. Theft is a big problem. There are very few dedicated places for parking bicycles making them prone to theft.
5. Cycling for commute is a seasonal activity. Usually in Mumbai, it's difficult to cycle during in the monsoon (June - September) and peak summer months (April - May).
6. Nighttime riding is dangerous. Many roads are poorly lit and bicycle lights may not be powerful enough to provide the necessary illumination.

Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-img_4585.jpg

Over the years, a lot of committees and reports have recommended cycling as an effective way to tackle the vehicle crowding in urban areas, but the fact remains that it is a typical hen and egg situation. Commuters want better infrastructure, while the authorities want to see a minimum number of cyclists on the road to make it worth their while.

Wide scale adoption of cycling can save a whopping Rs. 1.8 lakh crore annually, which is equivalent to 1.6% of our GDP (TERI report). As an automobile enthusiast, I have realized that despite loving my cars, it's the cycle that, at times, is the most effective way to get around town. I have also used my bicycle to commute to office.

Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-img_20191002_213533_013.jpg

At the end of the day, all that you need is the willpower to take your bicycle to work / use it for urban commuting. Here are some of the videos I have shot while riding:

A 23 km ride to work:

A trip from Navi Mumbai to IIT Powai to meet some friends:

Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-img_4633.jpg

A small errand ride on the interior roads:

And, signing off with this compilation I made after resuming cycling post lockdown:

Last edited by Aditya : 18th February 2021 at 11:07.
blackwasp is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 11:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 12:45   #3
BHPian

Great thread! Thank you!
I love bicycles, and had previously considered commuting by one, but, dropped the idea later.
I voted 'No' for the following reasons:
  1. Pollution: I am deeply concerned about the long-term impact on my health from exposure to pollution from other vehicles on the road. Related thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...y-bad-you.html (Driving with the windows down is really bad for you)
  2. Safety: I am deeply concerned about my safety from getting hit by other vehicles on the road. This was one of the reasons I bypassed motorcycles altogether and went from a bicycle as a teenager to public/shared transport during my early years as a professional to a car at 28 years in my life's journey. Related thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ar-safety.html (Motorcycle safety compared to car safety?)
  3. All weather commute: Despite rain or shine, I need to be able to commute on time to keep my commitments at work and at home. I don’t like being late, either at work or at home, and I don’t like giving excuses to anyone. I work around the traffic congestion related delays by avoiding peak traffic hours for my commute. While choosing non-peak hours might reduce my exposure to pollution while commuting by a bicycle, if I need coverage on both points 1 and 3, I don’t see it happening with a commute by a bicycle. Plus, getting splashed over with stagnant water after rains is another deterrent for me. I cannot afford to show up at work and in meetings in such a state.
FlashMustang is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

I adopted cycling around 2013, and have been going strong since.
My commitment to it can be gauged from the fact that I started by buying a Firefox through OLX (as I wasn't sure if it was a passing interest or a long time pursuit), and have now ridden the cycle for over 10k kms over the last 7 years - a slow, but steady average of ~1500kms a year. I believe 95% or more of these kms are those that substituted a car or a motorcycle ride. I rarely ever use the cycle for exercise or leisure runs.

If you ask me my biggest challenge? - Cycling with a turban on! I spend maximum time in the morning tying that perfect turban and it takes 5 mins of cycling to dirty it / spoil the folds etc. And during summers, I can't even begin to speak about my condition. Yet have soldiered on. It helps though that the commute to my office is a short 3km run and my family had the far-sight of making me lease a space with an attached private toilet.
Attached Thumbnails
Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-cycle.jpeg  

Last edited by rrsteer : 18th February 2021 at 13:19.
rrsteer is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:08   #5
BHPian

Unless there are dedicated cycling lanes and peace of mind that no one will come and ram their bus, truck, tempo and car into from behind, I wouldn't be comfortable taking cycles out for short commute.
I feel concept of cycle rickshaw, shared auto, electric rickshaw is the best option but unfortunately none of such short commute services are available in Bangalore.
Storm2.0 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:17   #6
BHPian

What a timely thread for me, personally! I've recently resumed cycling after a decade-long break (bought a Montra Downtown hybrid recently), and this question is something I've thought about over the past few days. The *only* downside for me is safety. On the few rides I've done since getting back on a bicycle, the apathy of other motorists towards cyclists is quite apparent. I find it harder to change lanes, cycle down a busy road without fear of being hit from behind etc. But it's good to see some optimism in your post around cycling in India, hope I gain the experience necessary to shrug off some of these fears and just move forward.

Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-fc089e92cc954d51801479fc1ab7cc1f.jpeg

Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-2a79a4a29be34d35bca88db379051014.jpeg

Last edited by Sudarshan42 : 18th February 2021 at 13:22.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:17   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the thread.
Voted for "Yes" as I am personally using it as an office commuter from last 4+ years.
My office is just 5 kms (one way) from my home and I work in first shift which starts at i.e. 6.45 am, so hardly be having any traffic.
Face some traffic while returning from office, but very much manageable.
Very recently, I have completed the 100 day cycling challenge from TourDe100 with a silver medal by completing 2670 kms in 100 days.
Always wear proper gear while riding so that you are safe.

Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-completion-certificate.jpg

Last edited by coolmind : 18th February 2021 at 13:18.
coolmind is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Unless there are dedicated cycling lanes and peace of mind that no one will come and ram their bus, truck, tempo and car into from behind, I wouldn't be comfortable taking cycles out for short commute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMustang View Post
[*]Pollution:[*]Safety: I am deeply concerned about my safety from getting hit by other vehicles on the road. [*]All weather commute:[/list]
For the obvious reasons mentioned above, I voted No.

I was comfortable cycling 12 kms in my childhood to school even with poor roads, but even a motorbike scares me these days.

But there can be possibilities to use cycle for commuting even without dedicated lanes, if there are more matured and big communities (controlled environment) like the Mahindra World City in Chennai. Ideal place to cycle to work or to pick up groceries.
saikarthik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore weather is actually perfect for cycling. Used to cycle to school once in a way, was about 6-7 km, but that was in the 90s. Can't imagine anyone letting their kids on that route today with the crazy traffic. Also used to cycle to my in-laws place, that was also about 6-7km. Am ok with the effort and the pollution/sweat, and was a relief to avoid the inevitable jams by being able to pick the bike up and walking it on the footpath. But the buses on the stretch of the main road were a nightmare, had a couple of scares. And the majority of Bangalore motorists (even the so-called 'educated' white-collar professionals in their fancy SUVs) don't give a damn about cyclists. Seems to bring out the worst in some of them actually, increased honking and irritated swerving.

Till there are dedicated cycle lanes (that actually work and don't end up being motorbike lanes!), am too scared to cycle in Bangalore. Hats off to those who do, I see a few brave souls on our roads, you guys deserve respect!
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I strongly reject the idea of cycling as a viable means of commute or transport over short/urban distances. It is too hot, too humid, too dirty and too polluted. Infrastructure for cycling as a means of commuting is simply inexistent. Then there is the safety issue, where you are always at risk of being hit by anyone and everyone. Statistics are stark: vast majority of deaths on roads are of pedestrians or people on cycles and two wheelers. Even your lousiest tin can Maruti is safer than a cycle for urban commuting in India.

So will I consider ditching my 2million rupee car for a cycle? Absolutely not.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:20   #11
BHPian

Another passionate cyclist here. I am going to ramble a bit here. Though I don't look like it, I loved cycles ever since I was a kid. Used to cycle all around a sleepy old town in Southern Kerala when I was a kid, but it stopped when we moved places. The cycling bug was still there and it reached its peak some years back. Decided to take action and get a cycle for myself.

Chatted at length with bhpian ebonho, picked up a Giant Escape 3 hybrid at a healthy discount back in 2018 and was happily cycling along in Kochi for a year. I did use it for commuting to work (just 5 or 6 kms) fairly often (except when it was raining and I wanted to come to office in a set of dry clothes and showers were absent there). Commuting to work on a cycle was cool- I would be in a good mood thanks to the mild cardio and the journey. However, my favorite time for cycling was early in the morning from 5 AM to 7-7.30 AM. Traffic was minimal and the climate was cooler. Using a relatively nice bike like the Giant (though it was an entry level model) completely changed my perception about cycles (I grew up riding a heavy steel framed Hercules Top Gear MTB with front and rear suspension). The Giant was an absolute pleasure to use.

However, I changed jobs and had to shift to Bangalore in 2019. I was planning to bring my cycle on a train and use it for commuting to work in Bangalore since I knew Bangalore's climate is temperate and conducive to cycling than Kochi's humid mess. However, one trip to Whitefield during the weekend was a wake-up call for me. With a very heavy heart, I let go of my cycle. The only solace is that the guy whom I sold it to was a total bad***. Homeboy came from somewhere in Northern Kerala to Kochi by train in the morning, took a look my cycle, paid for it on the spot and rode it all the way to his home. What a hero! Mad respect for him as I am not in the same league at all. At least the cycle is with a better owner now.

Anyways, coming to the point, I would still use a cycle for commuting to work under the following conditions:

1) When I am in a Tier 2 city or in a locality in a metro city where there are cycling lanes.

Though the traffic in Kochi is rasher and faster, they nevertheless do follow most of the basic rules such as using indicators and lane discipline. I found Bangalore's traffic to be migraine inducing- especially in Whitefield Main road which I had to take to reach my workplace. Besides the traffic volume, I find that the driving here is mostly quite chaotic (usual suspects being autos, slow bikers, cab drivers and those Force Traveler drivers) . Plus, I find the roads in some parts of Bangalore to be dangerous. Potholes and speed breakers come up in unexpected places and those are deathtraps to bikers and cyclists alike. I do not expect cycling lanes to come up here anytime soon. Sure, covid has eased up some of the traffic, but it's just a matter of time till things get back to 'normal'. There are some brave souls who regularly cycle here. To them, I have nothing but respect. You guys have the cojones that I do not. I would rather resume cycling when I move back to a Tier 2 city. Off topic: Heard that Mysore is cool for cycling and that it has cycle lanes and all. Is it true?

2) A workplace that encourages cycling.

Even when one can get past my first point, the second challenge is having a workplace that encourages cycling. Nothing too big- just a nice parking spot for cycles where our precious machines would not be molested and a shower and a place to change. Luckily, there are some organisations that promote this (just that I haven't been lucky enough to be employed in one). In a less progressive workplace, one might be laughed at for coming to work on a bicycle. This can affect some people, while the really determined ones will just smile inwardly and move on. My uncle and cousin cycle to work in Australia. They pack up their office clothes, take a shower at work and change there. Lucky souls.

Weather is actually not a determinant for me. I used to ride my motorcycle in the rains (and used to love it). Cycling in the rain is pretty awesome too. Only drawback is cleaning all the muck off the cycle when you are done. Commuting is out of question, though.

Hope the situation gets better and our cities become more cycling friendly. Cycles are a way better solution towards short distance mobility than EVs. Until this happens, I'm forced to either drive, take public transport or a cab (in an non-covid scenario) or pool with a colleague. Voting no with a heavy heart.

Last edited by evilmessiah : 18th February 2021 at 14:38.
evilmessiah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I spent my childhood in an island, just about everyone used a bicycle or walked or a boat, cars could go only a km or two before they had to be transported in a barge.

I do not want to ride a bicycle in the city, its too much work, too many stops, signals, junctions, it kills the fun. There are better ways of transportation that has been invented over the years, its best to use cycling as a recreational activity.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Voted a strict NO. Unless rear view mirrors are made mandatory for cycling, it can never be a viable mode of urban transport since it will require its own lane to ensure safety of cyclists and other road users. An entire lane really cannot be justified for cycles.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:51   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for this topic! Interesting to see the poll results.

I do agree with many of the “practical” considerations raised by quite a few members. Obviously, the better overall infrastructure is available, the easier it gets. bike path, shower facilities at work etc.

But even so, some of it is just getting used to it. Having been brought up and currently living in the Netherlands, I am of course heavily biassed to riding a bicycle.

Almost all Dutch do and we have more bicycles than people. Many people will have two bicycles. To that extend the various images at the beginning of this thread are interesting. Nobody in the Netherlands would call those typical commute bicycles.

Have a look at this video which will give you some idea on what most Dutch people ride in town.

Getting wet, because you commute to and from work on your bicycle is just a given. I can show up completely soaked at any customer meeting, nobody would blink an eye. They have all been there and done that.

We don’t really dress up, nor wear a helmet when we just commute, or go for a little relaxation ride. If you are used to riding a bicycle, peddling around town should not get you sweating anymore than just going for a normal walk.

Most Dutch people will happily peddle for up to two hours at a leisure pace (say 15 km/h) without breaking wind!

This is a hilarious report from an American who visited Amsterdam some years ago. He set himself down on a little terrace and took photographs of all the cyclist coming by. Notice how some of the men and women are dressed to the nines!

https://www.ski-epic.com/amsterdam_bicycles/

On the matter of cycling in polluted air. There has been quite a bit of research in Europe on this matter. And the general consensus is that it is still healthier to ride a bicycle than not!

Quote:
Marko Tainio, Senior Research Associate at the Centre for Diet and Activity Research of the University of Cambridge, agrees. In a study published in April 2016, Tainio and his colleagues concluded that in spite of the air pollution, cycling in any European city is always better for health than not cycling.

"We conducted a computer modelling study, in which we combined information from epidemiological studies about the health benefits of physical activity with the risks of breathing polluted air." said Tainio.

Decades’ worth of data from cities all around the world was fed into the computer programmes. Tainio says that the analysis showed that in any European city, people can cycle for as long as they wish and the benefits of the physical activity would always outweigh the risks of air pollution. The situation is quite different in Asia.

"In Delhi, for example, the average concentration of fine particulate matter is about 150 micrograms per cubic metre of air. That’s ten times more than in London," Tainio explains. "But even in Delhi, you can cycle 45 minutes and you are still getting the benefits. After 45 minutes, the risks related to exposure to air pollution start outweighing the benefits of exercise."
https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/fu...on-and-cycling

So even in heavy polluted cities such as Delhi there is a benefit, just for a short period of time!

Again, I also think it comes down to how fit you are and how you ride your bicycle. Normal cycling is not very different than normal walking. Contrary to popular belief, sitting in your car does not do much for protecting you from pollutants. Unless you have a very elobarote high end car, with very special cabin air filters. (that get maintained regularly too)

Our grand daughter has just turned 9 months a few days ago. Today my daughter will take her, first time, on her bicycle to the local toddler care. Dutch kids, as soon as they can sit up reasonable well, get stuck in a very sturdy and safe kiddy sit attached to the bicycle. It is about a 5 km ride to drop her off, then my daughter will peddle onwards to her work, another 4 km. It is currently 2oC, windy and it rains. Not going stop her or taking Bella. out on her bicycle.

Which also means, next time they visit us, I can take Bella out on my bicycle too. Go for little tours.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 18th February 2021 at 15:02.
Jeroen is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Voted NO. I wouldn't consider cycling as an option to commute within any city, unless it is a bicycle friendly city within the Netherlands.

Can't imagine myself cycling through the dust and heat, dodging pedestrians, two-wheelers and other hindrances. It is not a safe option as well.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th February 2021 at 14:57.
clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks