Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2021, 16:27   #1
BHPian

Parking on footpaths in Bangalore - Here's what I did

Today I went out to run an errand in the neighborhood and while driving, noticed a very familiar sight - Cars parked on the footpath. This place is just over 500 meters from the station. There's a bank, salon, liquor store, café and a gym in this building and the parking space offered is barely enough for 3-4 cars, while there are several dozens of people visiting at any point of time.

This is so common in Bangalore that no pedestrian would bat an eye if there's a car blocking their way on a footpath, and one would submissively get on the road to continue their journey, exposing them to dangerous drivers from both sides on a one way road.
Apart from the lack of law enforcement, it is also due to the lack of common/civic sense of the vehicle owners and the apathy of everyone else that this menace is so rampant in this city.

So, I stopped a little ahead of this scene and decided I should do something about it. I called the HSR Traffic Police station and explained the problem to them. Perhaps in some other country, the police would have shown up within 2-5 minutes, given the distance from the spot. I still gave them a buffer of 20 minutes. However, the official who answered the phone asked me to note down the numbers and send it to him so that he can book a case against the offenders.
BUT - that doesn't solve the problem of several cars on the footpath. So I had to explain it to him. Thankfully he understood and said that a towing vehicle will be on its way shortly.

Well, long story short - I made several calls to the station as well as the in-charge of the towing vehicle, and only after threatening them with going to the L&O Police to file a complaint against them for not performing their duty, the towing vehicle showed up after a good 60 minutes. I was standing in the sun this whole time.

Once they started locking their wheels, some vehicle owners came out to plead with the police to let them go, but I ensured they locked wheels of all the offending vehicles. Police scooted off after locking the wheels, leaving the vehicles as they were.

Although they did penalize the vehicle owners in some way, the fact still remains that those vehicles were still ON the footpath when they were locked, and will now remain there longer than what they would have otherwise been.
Now, as a law-enforcer, isn't this something which they should take care of? Or am I asking too much?

Anyway, the lesson I learnt was to not give up, and have faith in the system .
Persistence is key
stealthcraft22 is offline   (135) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 17:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Parking on footpaths in Bangalore - Here's what I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthcraft22 View Post
Today I went out to run an errand in the neighborhood.
While I understand and appreciate your intent and effort, the mixed residential-commercial setup and lack of public parking makes things very difficult in Bangalore.

I either make an effort to drive around to find authorised parking sports or take a scooter, but there are places where one has no choice. Not condoning blocking the footpath on any way, just saying that I understand that it is at times almost unavoidable. IMHO an incentive to change is usually more effective than a fine. We need parking infrastructure - chicken or egg, I suppose.

Good job though, if people don’t park on them, more people would be inclined to walk on our usually sad, narrow footpaths
VeluM is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 17:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
if people don’t park on them, more people would be inclined to walk on our usually sad, narrow footpaths
Actually this footpath is quite wide and in a good shape - has been laid just a week ago.
stealthcraft22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 17:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now, as a law-enforcer, isn't this something which they should take care of? Or am I asking too much?
This is one of the most common problem across cities which isn't a 'problem' when one is driving the car and looking for a parking slot. But reverse the situation and it's a 'problem' in everyone else's eyes.

But kudos - you did the right thing. If a place doesn't have parking, that is the problem of the driver to figure out a parking place nearby or figure out a different destination to get his work done.
ninjatalli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 17:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Today I went out to run an errand in the neighborhood and while driving, noticed a very familiar sight - Cars parked on the footpath...
Persistence is key
I applaud your actions, but the sheer numbers of apathetic citizens and equally apathetic authorities will wear you down. They have an agenda that has the approval of the highest powers.

What is the solution for getting rid of gardens and pucca car shelters from footpaths in Indiranagar and Koramangala?
mvadg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 18:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BUT - that doesn't solve the problem of several cars on the footpath. So I had to explain it to him. Thankfully he understood and said that a towing vehicle will be on its way shortly.
Well, long story short - I made several calls to the station as well as the in-charge of the towing vehicle, and only after threatening them with going to the L&O Police to file a complaint against them for not performing their duty, the towing vehicle showed up after a good 60 minutes. I was standing in the sun this whole time.
I do NOT appreciate your action at all. If you want permanent solution then go there everyday & keep doing it till the parking menace is permanently resolved.

Let me tell you the negative impact of your action & I myself was witness to whole circus, so it's a first hand account.

My society has shops towards the roadside & has all types of shops including two banks. Now some disgruntled resident of my society reported similarly haphazardly parked vehicles. Being Mumbai the TOWING vehicles arrived immediately and placed locks on all the four-wheelers & carried away the two wheelers. Among those vehicles was one of vehicle of our society. The vehicle owner had a family member critically admitted in the hospital & had come to withdraw cash from the bank. As he came out he found his car was locked & he literally begged & touched the feet of traffic inspector, telling him about emergency in the hospital & all that. He was in so much panic that he kept fumbling. We also requested the traffic inspector but by that time the towing trucks had left to drop the two wheelers & only they had the key to remove the car wheel lock.

As in your language - long story short, I myself ordered the OLA for our society member but by that time almost an hour was lost and he lost the family member. We also attended the funeral of that person.

So please think before you act. Your goodwill action can have disastrous consequences for some genuine people too.

Rgds.

Last edited by GTO : 26th February 2021 at 18:44. Reason: No need to get personal or rude. The point can be made in a polite + respectful manner too
ariesonu is offline   (109) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 19:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I do NOT appreciate your action at all. If you want permanent solution then go there everyday & keep doing it till the parking menace is permanently resolved.
I don't go there every day, but I go there often and this is not the first time I have complained to Police about this. I have also pleaded several times with the businesses in this establishment to sort this issue out by finding a solution by talking to the police but they have been indifferent.

"The vehicle owner had a family member critically admitted in the hospital & had come to withdraw cash from the bank" - These guys were chilling out at "Chai Point".

"lost the family member" - This is indeed tragic and police should have been considerate.

"Frankly, I have no respect for you or your action here" - To each his own sir. I did what I felt was the right thing to do.

By the way, what if there was a casualty on the road because of this (not that we don't have several examples)? Would I earn your respect then?

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th March 2021 at 04:32. Reason: Quoted post edited.
stealthcraft22 is offline   (98) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 19:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Anyway, the lesson I learnt was to not give up, and have faith in the system .
Persistence is key

Perfect.
I am very proud of you for taking corrective action.

I regularly report back to the Police for wrong side drivers who get captured in my car's dashcam.
bblost is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 19:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I do NOT appreciate your action at all. If you want permanent solution then go there everyday & keep doing it till the parking menace is permanently resolved
While your experience was tragic, it was an anomaly and the it was not the fault of the person complaining but the police who did not listen to the pleading of the family member. Your angst is misplaced.

I am from Bombay as well and if footpaths are not used as parking places, hawkers or panshops, perhaps we would have more people using them.

I hope more and more people do this in Bombay, we need it.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th March 2021 at 04:35. Reason: Quoted part edited.
click is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 20:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Today I went out to run an errand in the neighborhood and while driving, noticed a very familiar sight - Cars parked on the footpath. Anyway, the lesson I learnt was to not give up, and have faith in the system . Persistence is key
I applaud your sense of persistence and the efforts you put in to improve our streets at Namma Bengaluru.

Unfortunately, our poorly planned city has very poor parking infrastructure. Just a couple of days back, my wife had some work near Infantry road. I dropped her off and couldn't find any parking nearby. So I did the next best thing - I went on a giant circle around MG road and Cubbon road a couple of times until she was ready to be picked up. When she had to go a second time later, she chose to take an OLA.

Someday, we will have a multi level parking in the central business area. Perhaps even in my lifetime.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 21:06   #11
BHPian

Though good intentions are at play here by the OP. I would not recommend doing this regularly. Please remember that there are many anti-social elements on the road who are hand in glove with the local police. Many times the shop owners themselves bribe the police to allow parking in the area in front of the shop. Also the street parking mafia is at play at many places who are in cohorts with the municipality and also the police.
Marriage hall owners, restaurants, cafes, departmental stores, heck even the local auto stand has a "dada" to attend to such petty things. Even the street vendors have a "dada" to deal with police and authorities.

Remember for them it is just business and money but for you it is your life.

Somebody here has posted about sending dash-cam videos to the police. Again a big no no as you are exposing your phone numbers and thus your address, location everything to the police. There have been cases when the police have themselves sold out the good Samaritans as they have been hand in glow with the rule breakers. And the good Samaritans have been trashed by the goons.

There are many many things wrong in this country and solving traffic problems is the lowest among the order and that's a fact.

If you want to do good, then go out support a needy family, feed a hungry soul or sponsors someone's education.

Apologies for the long post but just poured out what I think.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th March 2021 at 04:29. Reason: Typos, spacing
Dieseltuned is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 21:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Frankly, I have no respect for you or your action here.

Rgds.
I fail to see the logic here. Though I sympathize with the people caught up in this and the suffering caused, it is in no way the OP's fault. If every one of us acted like he did, we all would still have footpaths and much less corruption.

And I do agree with all the "practical advice" given by well meaning members here, but then we should never complain when we have a problem with our service centers, the government, online shopping, deaths due to bad roads, negligence of government officials, high petrol prices,... Because, you know, these people are well organized and are supported by the you know who...
mvadg is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 22:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's a bank, salon, liquor store, café and a gym in this building and the parking space offered is barely enough for 3-4 cars, while there are several dozens of people visiting at any point of time.

Although they did penalize the vehicle owners in some way, the fact still remains that those vehicles were still ON the footpath when they were locked, and will now remain there longer than what they would have otherwise been.
Hello neighbor!!
An excellent description of the location. I figured out the building even before I watched the video. I also stay in the same locality.

While I understand your intent, I don't agree with your action. At the end of the day, the vehicles ended up occupying the footpath for a longer time and the cops got more bribe. No action was/will be taken against the real culprits, the corrupt builder & business owner who didn't provide any parking and the bda/bbmp official who approved the building plan.

If you really want to make a change, there are larger issues in the same stretch. This is a one-way section but 50% of the people don't follow the rule. And there are bigger players like the children's hospital and Empire who also don't have proper parking and are located in a narrower section of the road and cause more traffic issues. Would like to know if you have the guts to pull this stunt with them or the unauthorized auto and bike parking in front of the Central flyover? If yes, let me know. I promise to be around and will try (only try) to save you from the abuse you might receive
Jaguar is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 23:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

I regularly report back to the Police for wrong side drivers who get captured in my car's dashcam.
Well I used to do this with my helmet cam when riding my motorcycle to office. Regular signal jumping, standing on the zebra crossing, illegal turns and what not. If I recall correctly, BTP has an app called Public Eye where you can report the offence with proof and they say action will be taken.

Out of curiosity, when the app would report that action has been taken and the offense is shown on the app, I would check the fine data of a few vehicles that I had captured on BTP's website after a few days. No fines would be listed. I do not know how that system works but it felt futile reporting such offenses and therefore I let it go after a few months.
nikhn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 01:37   #15
BHPian

You have a lot of patience, dealing with Police is difficult even when you are doing their jobs and helping them. I would have just taken a video and posted it on the Public Eye app, however my experience with the app has been mixed, some very obvious violations were let go because they did not think the pic had sufficient proof, even when the Car was below No parking board.
motorpsycho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks