Team-BHP > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: How do you drive with HU Integrated Navigation?
Refer to the HU screen for a visual map often? 102 44.16%
Depend on verbal guidance solely with HU Screen check only when parked? 14 6.06%
Never drive alone and get another person to navigate. 2 0.87%
Mix everything on a need to need basis. 113 48.92%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2021, 10:55   #16
BHPian

Re: How do you take navigation directions while driving?

A properly placed HUD is the best. Unfortunately in India only expensive cars have this feature, that too in the top trim. A makeshift arrangement would be to use a HUD app (e.g.: Navier HUD) in phone and install a custom HUD plate near the windscreen to reflect the phone screen.

There are a few points to consider. Firstly GPS speed will never be as accurate as the speedometer. A few apps accept speed inputs from OBD scanner (connected from bluetooth) and it is good to use them if warranty is not an issue.

Secondly, to keep the phone in place one has to keep a phone case fixed to the dash (Not required if your HUD plate comes with a case. It would be better to get a silicon case fixed to the dash using a 3M tape and insert the phone when in use.

In my DYI HUD, the brightness has to be manually adjusted between morning and night usage. I also keep my phone in a separate holder just to correlate directions if required.

Sample Videos:

RoadAtlas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

A thread in similar line exists - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...prefer-do.html (Seeking directions to your destination - How do you prefer to do it?)
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 11:00   #18
BHPian

I try to rely on audio alone, but it is not always practical. Often, the map does not distinguish well between a road that curves and a turn onto another road. Also, instructions such as ''continue straight" are sometimes confusing, especially when all the roads at a junction are similarly sized and not at 90 degree angles to each other.
Old 4th March 2021, 11:10   #19
BHPian

I use Gmaps almost everytime if I am in the car, even if going local. If going on long drives I always invest time to study the route and major direction changes to move from one highway to another. Preparation always helps.

Also, while driving, I keep a quick glance on upcoming turn coming up (nicely displayed on top of the gmap). Helps to be aware, be in the correct lane and expect traffic at junctions.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 11:43   #20
BHPian

I only drive in Mumbai and all the other BHPians who live in Mumbai can relate how bad the traffic condition is here. Therefore it is critical to keep eyes on the road the entire time especially if you don't have something like an integrated ICE with Carplay/AA.

I personally am very anxious during driving and get extremely uncomfortable if I have to keep switching my focus between a screen and the road. Due to this I mainly rely on audio/verbal instructions. Anyone who drives in Mumbai can relate to the massive amounts of attention that is required while driving because the roads are full of complete idiots here!
Old 4th March 2021, 12:00   #21
BHPian

I was very much apprehensive about mounting of my Mobile Phone for navigation. After receiving the Mobile phone holder (ELV Car Mount) from Amazon, I checked the various possible iterations (mounting on the centre of windscreen or right hand side & suitable height) to find the most suitable position so as to minimize the distraction/Blind spot caused by the mobile phone holder.
I prefer both audio guidelines and looking into the navigation screen of my mobile phone while driving.
Old 4th March 2021, 12:22   #22

I love using Android Auto! It makes driving over longer distances convinient and especially using Google Maps! I use audio prompts extensively in city and I've learned to exactly understand what the voice assistant is trying to say without looking at the map even once.
On highways I turn the auido prompts to alerts only and glance at the screen sparingly. The Nexon's unit is set above the dashboard so it's easily in my field of vision even if I don't take eyes off the road! That makes using navigation on the Nexon easier and safer as your eyes never really leave the road.
irajput is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 12:45   #23
BHPian

I do not use any audio as I feel it is distracting. I mount my phone using a phone holder where I can see the screen. I glance at it occasionally to see that I'm traveling in the right direction. Never had an issue so far. I have both mapmyindia app as well as Google maps and usually use google maps.
Old 4th March 2021, 13:43   #24
BHPian

I primarily rely on the verbal guidelines with very few glances on the screen to check for traffic. My observation is that when I rely on verbal guidelines then I subconsciously remember all the landmarks associated with that road/turn that helps me remember the road very quickly.
So if the map tells me to take a left turn 300 mtrs ahead, because I do not see the screen, I mark out the shops/building near that turn which help me out in the future if required.
puneetakhouri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 14:36   #25
BHPian

My Mini has a cellphone holder screwed down to the steering so google maps on that. It works almost similar like a HUD due to the position and I don't have to take my eyes off the road. One of the best phone holder placements I must say!

I hate when people give me directions because my wife is really bad it reading maps and we have missed our turn countless times

Back home, Venue comes with Carplay so we never needed a cellphone holder. Gets the job done perfectly but you have to take your eyes off the road to look at the map sometimes.
Old 4th March 2021, 16:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I have this habit of checking my RVM as well as ORVMs on a regular basis, especially when I am on the highways. That way I paint a mental picture of who is where behind me and get a good estimate on who is approaching me and from which side.
I do the exact same thing. I am not able to vote right now but I do occassionally glance on the screen while driving. I do not use audio as I feel a quick glance works good enough for me.
Old 4th March 2021, 16:58   #27
JTM
BHPian

Whenever I travel with my dad,I am always the one who checks Google Maps and quite often bungles it up .Even though I'm not a driver(haven't even gotten my license), my preference is for another person to tell me the directions while I'm driving(in the not so distant future).
In our roads,even a small gaze away from the road can lead to catastrophies.Me and my father were saved from colliding with a private bus,which was overtaking another car, thanks to my father's quick response.So I don't think that the driver himself/herself multitasking between riding the car and checking the map is a good idea.
JTM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 17:40   #28
SRM
BHPian

A quick glance is enough to keep myself assured that I haven't missed any turns or gone on a wrong path. Usually, once on a stretch with no cars in near visible sight, i'll keep having those frequent 2 second glances on the screen.

On the highway, I will avoid audio as the same thing gets repeated every few metres/km. Within the city, I will follow the audio directions with quick glances in between.

Last edited by SRM : 4th March 2021 at 17:42.
Old 4th March 2021, 19:51   #29
BHPian

I have almost always used Google Maps while driving and that too on mute (mounted phone or HUD).

In the city, you generally know the route but use it to avoid congestion. So a very quick glance is enough. Anyways, in cities you also need to check OVRMs regularly so you need to develop the skill and timing to catch a quick glance. The road ahead needs to be emply with no junctions coming up.
Old 4th March 2021, 20:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

I usually use Google Maps or rarely Waze. If I am going on a long road trip, I use my Garmin device as well. I rely on audio prompts and also steal a quick glance at the map when I am approaching a junction or have to make a turn.

Most Viewed