Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2008, 11:18   #31
Team-BHP Support

Flying stone revisited

Mom wasnt keeping well last week and was admitted in hospital.
As soon as i got the news from dad, decided to head down to Kerala with the car. While we were doing the stretch from Dharmapuri to Salem, a huge stone landed from nowhere onto my car's windscreen. It bounced off the bottom left of the windscreen, and in the process shattered the glass.

So much was the force of the impact that small chips even flew into the cabin. My wife who was in the passenger seat was terrified to say the least. Since we didnt know for sure as to how the stone came flying, we didnt stop immediately. Carried on a little further, before we stopped and inspected the damage.

There was a huge crack where the stone had fallen, and there were smaller cracks emanating from this point. Since these were limited to the bottom of the screen, carrying on was not a problem. I also cleaned the glass using the wiper, and thankfully there were no issues.

How did the stone come flying? Still baffles me. Coud this be a resultant of the TN-KA issue over Hogenakkal? Cant say, but possible considering mine is a KA registration.

As the trip progressed, including the drives in Kerala, the cracks began to grow. From the bottom left of the screen, the crack has now grown to reach the right side of the screen. I have no option but to change the winshield, which i had put off following the last crack from the smaller stone.

I shall put up a pic later, as i dont have the pic right now.

Now, my question is as follows: This is the second year of my car ownership. Last year, i had claimed insurance, and hence lost the NCB. This year, prior to this incident, i have not made any claims. The insurance is due for renewal in the month of September. Does it make sense to hold on with the replacement till then, or go ahead and lose out on the NCB for this year as well? I feel claiming insurance after the renewal would atleast get me the benefit of this year's NCB.

Lookign forward to the opinions of other BHPians.
Old 24th April 2008, 11:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Ben, that was scary, where exactly this happenend?
Was it when you were passing through a town/village or open highway?

Sep is too far, since your windshield is in a bad shape better to replace the Windshield now, also there is no guarantee that you will not have another mishap between now & Sep.

Last edited by finneyp : 24th April 2008 at 11:54.
Old 24th April 2008, 12:01   #33
Team-BHP Support

This was through a section where the four-laning was being carried out. Was not exactly passing through a village/town when this happened.
Old 24th April 2008, 12:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Benny,
replace the windshiels ASAP. Insurance should take care of the cost. Your expense would be minimal. do it fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Benny, nice pic, this confirms my initial appprehension - its way too big for WE to fix. You'll need to replace it mate - and do it quick. Apart from the possibility of it shattering somewhere down the line, I would hate to drive with a cracked w'screen, its BAD LUCK (I know, superstitious me ).
Benny, listen to your well wishers. Don't be such a kunjoos.
Old 24th April 2008, 13:09   #35
BHPian

Benny,

Sorry to hear that happen...
Heard of chick magnets, is this stone magnet?
Is that You or Your car?

+Rocky_Balboa+

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 24th April 2008 at 13:14.
Old 24th April 2008, 13:19   #36
BHPian

Oh no! not again! Ben, wassup these days with you and a stone?
Sorry to hear it. However get the windshields replaced without waiting till Sep.
Currently you are in Kerala or back in Bangy?
Old 24th April 2008, 13:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your cracked windscreen, Benny. As most people suggested, better get it replaced mighty pronto.
A little off topic, my wife got my WagonR cleaned by the maid for a week in my absence. That nitwit cleaned my windscreen with her bangles on, and left scratches all over the glass, which is irritating at night.
I've never claimed insurance on that car for the past 6 years. Any clues on how to get it replaced---both ethical and un-ethical ideas are welcome
Old 24th April 2008, 13:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Benny - regarding the NCB, it's a simple equation. Find out what the new screen+rubber beading+sealant+labour is going to cost you & then find out what the NCB amount will be and then decide. If you save more money by not claiming Insurance then don't & if the screen change is more expensive than the NCB then get the screen changed under Insurance.

As for the cause of the flying stone it might be miscreants but in all probability it was kicked up by the tyres of another passing vehicle (usually trucks, buses etc.) and unfortunately it landed on your windscreen. It happens, what to do.
Old 24th April 2008, 13:31   #39

I have one experience (though not exactly similar) on windshield. This is again due to bad road.

I was coming from Old pallavaram to GST road, there is a new subway near the pallavaram railway station, which is meant for 2 wheelers, autos and cars.

The place where the subway connects the so called road has a huge pit. atleast 1 ft deep. I didnt know that the pit was too deep and ran into it.
My uncle sitting next to me leaned towards front and looking for potholes, literlly collided head-on into the windshield. Fortunately nothing happened to my uncle's bald head. Only after travelling around couple of KMs I noticed the crack in the windshield.
Surprising thing is that my uncle didnt feel even slightest of pain.

I replaced the windshield after a month(Since the crack was not affecting my driving). Cost Rs. 6500 out of which 4800 given by insurance.
Old 24th April 2008, 13:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Benny - regarding the NCB, it's a simple equation. Find out what the new screen+rubber beading+sealant+labour is going to cost you & then find out what the NCB amount will be and then decide. If you save more money by not claiming Insurance then don't & if the screen change is more expensive than the NCB then get the screen changed under Insurance.

As for the cause of the flying stone it might be miscreants but in all probability it was kicked up by the tyres of another passing vehicle (usually trucks, buses etc.) and unfortunately it landed on your windscreen. It happens, what to do.
Hmm, are you sure it was due to miscreants? The way our roads are littered with stones, it is just waiting to happen. In my driving history of 20 years, I've got hit by flying stones about 3 times, but luckily no damage occurred.
In Benny's case, had the Santro been driving sanely, the impact could have been lower, but then, you never know. Even a heavy truck at slow speed could cause a stone hurling at your car with a devastating effect.
Old 24th April 2008, 14:21   #41
Senior - BHPian

Yeda pishika sorry to hear what happened. I suggest that you go ahead and get it replaced. NCB isnt that big of an amount. Maybe the experienced people here can comment on what the %tage is on NCB for a year.
Old 24th April 2008, 14:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

My ikon is currently running on the third windshield.
The guys at windshield experts now know me real well.
I guess we need to learn to keep a very safe distance from the vehicle in front on moderate and bad highways.
Old 24th April 2008, 14:28   #43
Team-BHP Support

vnabhi, the Santro story was the earlier edition. This time it was a large stone, and i am SURE it wasnt kicked up by some car. By a truck, i dont know, but i feel it was the work of anti-social characters.

John, had i replaced the windscreen then, i would still need to do it this time. No escaping it this time round.

Ishaan, i would definitely need to claim insurance for the glass. No question about that. Its just a matter of when - In this year, thus losing out on NCB or enjoy the NCB this year, and claim it upon renewal?

Rajesh, i am back in Bangalore now. Was in Kerala whole of last week. In fact, a fellow TBHPian (Jeep) spotted my car on the TN highway while i was heading to Kerala.

Rocky, i seriously am not the magnet.

Nirous, looks like you have a disciple in my car.

Riju, by the looks of events, i dont think the windscreen would tolerate so much of my dilly-dallying.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 24th April 2008 at 14:31.
Old 24th April 2008, 14:54   #44
BHPian

Giving the situation your Windshield is its better to get it replaced now than wait till Sept to save on the NCB
Old 24th April 2008, 14:58   #45
BHPian

I think the NCB amout would be max. 2000/- which you would be able to save if you wait till Sep. Considering that, you can claim the insurance now itself.

Most Viewed