Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2021, 12:38   #31
BHPian

Re: CCTV Footage: My Innova Crysta ZX AT got stolen in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post

I always thought was in the misconception that gizmo loaded electronic vehicles with immobilizer and push start was difficult to steal but it just took them few minutes. It is a self driver vehicle and I never parted with the keys.

First the Compass & now this. Seems to be becoming a worrisome trend in South Delhi

If you don't mind sharing, where in South Delhi is this? I think it's time I also sensitize the RWA and colony guards in our locality

Again, sorry to hear about your loss but I think you have handled it with utmost composure & maturity
amit_2025 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 13:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
http://Youtu.be/-iftSz5SRbM

My Innova Crysta ZX - Diesel Auto (2016) was stolen from my house at gated South Delhi colony. It took the thieves approximately 7 minutes to do the job. The vehicle was loaded with goods worth 3.5 Lakhs which I was to carry early next morning to Gurgoan.
Quote:
Ours is the gated colony with only one gate open at night. All the resident have identity sticker in their vehicles. Only one gate is functional at night with closed gate and allowed to pass only after making book-entry of entry and exit. However the entry/exit has been registered for my vehicle or the vehicle used for theft. The guards and the RWA ha no answers except excuses and pointing fingers. Could be sheer carelessness or hand in gloves. Police and RWA are investigating but I doubt of any outcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Why shouldn't the RWA not made a party to the case ? And its high time insurance premiums became dynamic and theft prone NCR areas should be made to pay a higher premium like similar places in the West do.

For example , I have heard very few cases of vehicle theft down South (one of which is hserus Scorpio above).

The keys also can be cloned when the car goes for service or somewhere similar. The thieves could even have an accomplice in the dealership itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
First the Compass & now this. Seems to be becoming a worrisome trend in South Delhi

If you don't mind sharing, where in South Delhi is this? I think it's time I also sensitize the RWA and colony guards in our locality

Again, sorry to hear about your loss but I think you have handled it with utmost composure & maturity

Dinesha, I am truly sorry to hear about your loss. I really hope that Delhi Police is able to trace your car and get it back to you ASAP. If you don't mind, do share which locality you live in? I have been house hunting recently and weighing in different localities based on safety.

I also do agree that RWAs should be made a party to the case; especially if they are charging home-owners/tenants for security. Can a group insurance for the residents not be thought of?

Also why can't car makers prioritise anti-theft technologies? It would probably be a huge USP in India.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 13:33   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark1234 View Post
Yours is a 2016 model, so I assume it wasn't RTI. Curious to understand how much much will you get from Insurance.

Also please note, you can cancel your registration and get the balance of your road tax along with the Insurance's claim. You don't need to pass on your ownership to insurance(form 29), else they will cancel the registration and take the balance road tax.

details here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4449467 (The tale of a Total Loss Claim)
No did not have RTI coverage. Never thought this will happen to me. In case I think Insurers provide RTI cover for only first three years. Please correct me if worng.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Dinesha, I am truly sorry to hear about your loss. I really hope that Delhi Police is able to trace your car and get it back to you ASAP. If you don't mind, do share which locality you live in? I have been house hunting recently and weighing in different localities based on safety.

I also do agree that RWAs should be made a party to the case; especially if they are charging home-owners/tenants for security. Can a group insurance for the residents not be thought of?

Also why can't car makers prioritise anti-theft technologies? It would probably be a huge USP in India.
I am located at "A-Block, Shivalik Colony", the police tells me the colony was supposed to be safe and my case was first reported from colony in a long time.
RWAs are similar to political parties. Lip services is all I get.

Gone is gone, so no point beating the bush. As posted earlier I am soon planning to book a new vehicle. If stolen vehicle is recovered after my purchase then it will be a bummer for me.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th March 2021 at 15:27. Reason: typo correction
dinesha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 13:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Innova Crysta ZX - Diesel Auto (2016) was stolen from my house at gated South Delhi colony..............................

This post is request others to be careful. I learnt my lessons most expensive way. Geofencing, GPS, various Locks and faraday pouch are all essentials and please do best to protect your vehicle. Otherwise, being stranded is pain, losing money is pain, suddenly having to buy a new vehicle is pain, Police is pain, RTO is pain, Financing Bank is pain and Insurance is pain.
Sorry to read about your loss, Dinesha. I cannot quite know the feeling myself, but definitely know what a car could mean to many people/ enthusiast. It can be devastating, I hope things turn from traumatic to normal to joy, very soon for you.

But in your post, I applaud you for pointing out reality as it is. Every word you've mentioned about pain, I can say with situational and experiential awareness that most of these pains are real and quite true (and people who've lost, unfortunately, can resonate with your words). It's sad you have had to deal with them.

Quote:
There was the typing error on my last post.

For those whose vehicle unfortunately stolen, these are the key things for hassle free insurance claims.

"Return to Invoice" insurance may not be a bad idea if the local area is prone to vehicle theft.
Again, brilliant post and even in a time of grief and having to put up with 'unnecessary' work, you've helped us other forum members with golden information. To manage all of this and also share it with us, that's just brilliant and so mature. Thanks! This will be so useful in an emergency situation, when normal human reaction could be panic mixed with confusion and grief. I hope we all save it.

I hope I never need this, but I've already made a separate note in my phone with all the points here. Thanks so much, mate. And I wish you better fortune and happier ownership with your new vehicle.

-----------------------------------

Members, this post makes me think. Even with these fancy electronics and keyless what-have-you, are we still to rely on gear locks? Are those things dependable or also another easily breakable/ hack-able tool, like today's locking (near hopeless??) gadgetry?

Last edited by k_ajay : 12th March 2021 at 13:38.
k_ajay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 13:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Extremely sorry for your loss. It's such a pain to loose a car and valuables in it. I heard about a similar incident that happened in Pune. The thieves were nabbed in no less than 30 minutes with Fastag tracking. If the police act swiftly, it should be easy to track a vehicle if it is crossing borders and check posts. But unfortunately, if the vehicle is going to be used to scavenge and procure parts, it will be all but a vain to search for it. Luckily, the insurance should help in some form.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 14:19   #36
BHPian

I feel really sorry for your loss, agony and the pain to run between these stupid Indian judicial elements to prove that you truly are in loss. How bad is that.

My questions:
1. How your society security allowed the car to go out that easily (assuming you are in a apartment or villa complex with security guards 24x7). If they do not care/do anything about this, then what is the point of security guards?

2. If a 20 lakhs worth car takes 7 minutes to break in, then the car manufacturer is giving us a car which is practically, simply "breakable" whether it comes with all kinds of immobiliser, sensor nonsenses or not. Where is the legislation, when we keep pushing for ABS and Air Bags and simple safety mechanism is not working in a car for the very reason for its existence. So, this is as good as keeping the car open. Very painful to see a car stolen like this that too with minimum effort.

3. Why this is happening a lot in the NCR region? Top 3 reasons please.

4. What are all the other fool proof mechanism to deter car thieves? Even basic ones, like steering lock rods etc and their effectives need to be reviewed. Electronics is a total failure here. How about the heavy metal wheel locks? Any other good suggestions from experts?
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 14:47   #37
BHPian

Hi Dinesh, sorry for your loss. I understand the pain as our Zen was stolen in 2013. I know it's no comparison to Innova but that was the car our family had then. The worst part was that it only had 3rd party Insurance so got nothing. Add to that Police's casual attitude to the theft as if it's nothing.

I'm not sure if I should say this but I firmly believe that these thieves are hands-in-glove with authorities. And sometimes local shops and service centers since in our locality, there was a trend that most old car that had it's battery replaced at home was stolen few days down the line.

Quote:
No did not have RTI coverage. Never thought this will happen to me. In case I think Insurers provide RTI cover for only first three years. Please correct me if worng.
I got RTI for my existing car until 6th year. So I think it depends on insurers. Try until you get lucky.

Last edited by devilicious : 12th March 2021 at 14:52. Reason: Addition of text
Old 12th March 2021, 15:04   #38
BHPian

Dinesha- Extremely sorry on what's happened to you and really appreciate your magnanimity to alert the other members at such a depressing time. One of the points that I take away, is when are investing over 25 L on a car, we should ensure that we get the best insurance addons like RTI and so in order to get the maximum value in difficult times rather than taking some fringe policy to reduce 20k to 35k on the premium. IMHO, unless you have credible references, the Police wont take it seriously and allot quality time or officers on our case. On the protection front I am little skeptical if we can follow removing relays and fuses or any other physical mechanism after we come back after a days hard work. In the clip, we hardly see any of the car even covered with a cover. Doing some thing as simple like that is itself not religiously followed by most of us. May be people with drivers can implement those steps
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 15:54   #39
BHPian

dinesha,
It is an absolute pain watching this video and my blood is boiling too.

Thanks a lot for creating awareness amongst readers even when you are in pain of loosing an expensive car.

My questions to all BHPians on this are:

1) Can connected cars (such as Venue, Hector, Nexon) be stolen like this? Because they have Geofencing feature.

2) If yes, can they be tracked? or thieves have some advance trick to disconnect the car from GPS tracking?

Please spread some light on this.
Old 12th March 2021, 16:41   #40
BHPian

Sorry for your loss Dinesha.
Guys - this looks like a simple solution? Has anyone tried this ?
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08Y91G9B7/

irdevanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 16:45   #41

I had a similar experience with my Old School Zen, apparently the old cars could simply be opened from window beadings. It wasn't that late at night and I heard an ignition sound and realized that this could only be my Zen and gazing from window could see the thief reversing it to run away. In not time, I ran down I started following in my other car and could spot my Zen with the thief in and who was making some phone calls. I parked my I20 near it and was steeping out and the thief realized that I'm the owner of the car he is enjoying and suddenly started rashing. He kept plying and I kept following. Police Calls were big fails. By the time the Control room informed a Station I was in a different Station Zone. I told them that we are heading XX place but to no avail. At a point we even crossed a barrier.
I was helpless - hitting from behind had more chance of damaging the vehicle I was driving more than even stopping him. All my attempts to cornering- he was able to manage an escape. Then at a flyover he quizzed me by suddenly overtaking a truck and I lost his sight. But all my efforts to chase didn't go vain and he was confused and stressed too, he left the car at a residential place ( or probably low CNG and he wasn't able to switch to Petrol) and I got a police call after a week that some resident's have reported a stranded vehicle in that area. Finally got my car back.

I was happiest person in the world! This was 2013 and I still drive "The Zen"

There after two things that I still do--
In Zen- There's a cable probably from alternator to "Somewhere" that can be easily removed and is more plug and play. I just remove it and bring it with me and attaches before making in ignition attempt. I'm sure thieves wouldn't be carrying that. Will share a picture later.

in I20- There's a Fuse Box in engine bay and one fuse works just for the cable I mentioned above. Remove that fuse and it won't start.
I20, I do this only when I am out of my place for long and used to think the immobilizers etc were enough a deterrent but I think I should better not think that. When Jeeps and Innovas aren't spared what would an i20 be.
CSharma is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 16:59   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Sorry for your loss Dinesha.
Guys - this looks like a simple solution? Has anyone tried this ?
[url]https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08Y91G9B7/[/url
Thanks for sharing! The thing is, no mesaure is 100% foolproof. All we can do is make the job and life of thieves tougher. Infact as a fellow Bhpian said, we can apply gear lock, steering lock and wheel locks but is that practical as noone wants to spend 15 mins unlocking the car to drive.
Old 12th March 2021, 17:10   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharma View Post
in I20- There's a Fuse Box in engine bay and one fuse works just for the cable I mentioned above. Remove that fuse and it won't start.
Regarding removing fuses, aren't there other fuses in the board which the thief can use like get the similar amp fuse for tail-light and move it to ignition one? this requires him to have knowledge of fusebox but if he is a mechanic he will have. Plus for popular cars google has it available.
Old 12th March 2021, 17:13   #44
bbv

I never understood the use of keyless entry and especially with hazards such as this extreme or even just forgetting the key within.
bbv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 17:14   #45
BHPian

Firstly, take care of yourself and I understand that a car is like another family member to us. If the car has HSRP plates, the cops can use that for tracking through the CCTV's right? However, if you have higher official source in the police department, they can help you fast track the case and find the car with personal interest. If not, let's pray and hope that your car is found soon! And yeah, keyless entry systems are way easier to hack and the immobilizer is not too advanced to identify copied keys

Last edited by jithin23 : 12th March 2021 at 17:36.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks