Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2021, 11:43   #1
BHPian

Moving from a very oldschool vehicle to a modern car | Drastic change in driving requirements

Guys this is a really stupid question but I need to ask. Mods please move or delete!

I've only driven one vehicle in my life - Trax Gama with no PS. After bit of effort I drove it fairly well about 15000km no major issues. That was almost four years ago. I sold it off and since then never drive.

Now I've bought a Hyundai i10 nios.

I'm finding it damn hard to unlearn and learn. I guess you can imagine the differences. But main issue is figuring out what gear to start, stay in for slow steady drive and when to shift, I mean at what speed.

With Trax that was easy cos it whines loudly and you shift. Of course you learn along the way. Here the engine sound is an unreliable indicator. Further it seems to accept gear change at any speed to any gear unlike Trax that'll stall if you shift too early at lower speeds.

Also my seller who was a very nice guy told me it's not necessary to use accelerator at all at lower speeds, just shift gears to speed up. Is this correct or safe? This is also opposite of Trax where you keep foot on accelerator and give gentle prod or it slows down. He suggests keep right feet on brake not accelerator.

The guy also taught me to shift quickly to fourth even as my speed is below 40!.

These issues plus the layout of gears, much softer press needed, much more limited feedback, and much lower play or distance to press etc keep me confused. Guess it'll go away after few km... But I don't want to learn bad habits that'll stay.
ggkg is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 11:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Moving from a very oldschool vehicle to a modern car | Drastic change in driving requirements

To make sure you do not break the new car prematurely, I suggest a refresher driving course - it's someone else's car and they have prepared it for teaching. It costs very little for a refresher.

New cars will auto-accelerate to avoid stalling however it comes at the expense of ruining your clutch among many other things, don't take a chance with it.
Kosfactor is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 12:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Moving from a very oldschool vehicle to a modern car | Drastic change in driving requirements

Perhaps take someone along with you who is familiar with newer cars.

On a similar note, a few years back a relative of mine learnt driving in a Trekker and got his license in the same. His parents decided to get him a car and he wanted something without Power Steering since he learned driving without one

At the end of the day, he was given a brand new swift and mastered the car within a short time. These things are temporary and you will get a hold of it in no time. Modern cars are fairly easy and can be learnt quickly. It is going back to the older vehicles that will be difficult.
TrackDay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 12:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
I'm finding it damn hard to unlearn and learn. I guess you can imagine the differences. But main issue is figuring out what gear to start, stay in for slow steady drive and when to shift, I mean at what speed.
You did not mention how much kms you have clocked in i10 Nios. But I am sure by the time you clock 500 to 1000 kms you would be all set.

Here are few suggestions from my end
1. Read the manual especially section where they mention speed range for each gear
2. No harm in taking 15 day refresher course from driving school on similar kind of vehicle. I have noticed many driving schools having i10.

This should give you sufficient confidence. Enjoy your new possession and wish you many many happy miles.
Simhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 12:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

For a person who has driven cars of 1970s and 80s(I mean manual steering, only mechanicals and no gizmos cars), modern day cars are just toys.

I honestly think, all you need is just mindset. Take your car to a open field and practice it for 40-50 kms. Then am sure you will come out to road like an expert.

For a person who has driven 15k kms in olden age car, it is just the confidence that is needed to drive modern day cars. Nothing else is required. Since you are out of touch driving cars, may be your confidence level has come down. Just drive your NIOS in a calm area for 15-20 kms. Have someone who has driven modern car to sit in the passenger seat and let him coach you while you drive.

Easily your confidence builds up to earlier level. All the best

Last edited by gkveda : 21st March 2021 at 12:58.
gkveda is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 09:47   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Moving from a very oldschool vehicle to a modern car | Drastic change in driving requirements

Quote:
Guys this is a really stupid question but I need to ask. Mods please move or delete!
No such thing as a stupid question, brother

Quote:
I've only driven one vehicle in my life - Trax Gama with no PS. After bit of effort I drove it fairly well about 15000km no major issues. That was almost four years ago. I sold it off and since then never drive.

Now I've bought a Hyundai i10 nios.
You have 15000 km of driving experience, but the 4 year gap is a bit concerning. Still, no big deal at all. I move from an oldschool vehicle to a modern car every week. One of the cars in my garage is a 24-year old Jeep which is as basic as an automobile can be. Two of my other cars are as cutting-edge as a modern car can be. I switch between them easily.

In fact, I'll say that it's easier to move from a Trax to an i10, than vice versa. Will just take a little getting used to as both have extremely different characters. The i10 is modern, refined, comfortable and boasts way better engineering.

Spend a couple of days & km behind the wheel. If you still find yourself struggling, then simply take driving lessons as other BHPians have smartly recommended.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 09:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moving from a very oldschool vehicle to a modern car | Drastic change in driving requirements

Wow, this is a little surprising actually. I thought people who move from the old school type cars to the newer ones actually feel a lot better and love the new cars. Well, you have a problem that should be overcome by just some practice. First understand the gearshifts and then try driving mostly in colonies and by lanes. I think you should be fine in about a week. By the way, how many kms did you clock on the Nios?
Raghu M is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 09:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just a matter of time buddy.

Give yourself time with the vehicle and give the vehicle some time with you!

Both will understand each other and start getting along...
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:47   #9
BHPian

I have had the opportunity to drive Tata Mobile of 1993 vintage. It is as mechanical as it gets. Low on power, dog leg gearing, scary to drive when the trailer is empty, no power steering etc.

Post that I have driven many modern cars and learnt many valuable lessons from the old horse. A few are:
(These are more relevant to diesel motors)

- Never rush through gears and don't be in a hurry to pick up speed instantly. Let the motor spool up before upshifts.

- while making U-Turns / parking the car, never rotate the steering when stationary. It will ruin your tyres and other supporting components. Instead, move the car slowly while also rotating the steering. With Power steering in modern cars, we never realise what the tyres have to go through. Additionally, never rotate the steering to the extreme ends. It may have adverse effects on the power steering unit.

- Use gears to shed speed. Today's ABS, EBD and all the supportive aids aside, gears will never fail you, breaks may.

Like many have suggested, spend some time with the car. If not in the day time, take it out at night on roads which your are well versed with and get a feel of the car while driving.
I initially used to keep the windows open as I find it important to understand the sound of engine at each gear. Gradually you will get used to it and things will happen with subconscious mind.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:18   #10
BHPian

Take your car out from parking to a wide road or a vacant plot and switch off the engine. Sit in it for 5 minutes, touch and feel all interior parts. See how everything on dashboard works. Fiddle with switches. Get hold of the steering. Adjust your seat in many ways to find the perfect spot. Now sit and get a good feel of gear lever, change gears from 1 to 5 and reverse several times to make an acquaintance. Don't worry, nothing will happen to gear. Now do a one or two minute of mock driving.

Step out of the car. Take a good look from all sides. Touch and feel the body to get an idea of the dimensions. You have driven Force Gama/Judo for long so judging left side will not be a problem for you. Most of us who have driven crude vehicles like that are not naturally used to ORVM's and rely mostly on IRVM. Don't force yourself to change that habit.

Drive without AC with windows down for 2-3 kms and go back home. Sleep on it and repeat the process for a day or two if you feel like. Now the most important part, drive the car without AC for a week with windows down. This will tell you a lot about the engine revs and when to change the gear. It will also help with driving as you will be able to hear the adjacent vehicle noise and drive accordingly. Windows up with AC kill surrounding noise and makes it hard to drive. When I teach others to drive, I always tell them to drive with windows down for a month to know their engine and surroundings and then gradually move to AC and music.
Sran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 19:01   #11
BHPian

Just an update, I'm learning and applying many of the points you guys have been kind enough to mention. Clocked about 15km as of now mostly in traffic free suburbs.

Few observations:

Seating position needs very careful adjustment to height and length as the levers are pretty sensitive. So control with tip of legs is better than mid foot as that's too strong. I find even the type of slippers makes difference. I'm trying bare foot to get better feel of where the clutch bites.

Strangely in this model it seems the last inch or so of the clutch's travel matters. It's not linear thru the range of the play. Very different from my experience of Trax.

Had to switch off the audio, roll down Windows and switch off the Aircon to hear the engine. Lol. May be need to check my ears.
ggkg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 19:12   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The controls are extremely light, there is a lot of accelerator to play with.

As you learn to use mostly the A pedal to manage the speed of the vehicle, you can flat foot the left leg and enjoy the drive. It will talk to you through the A pedal.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 19:13   #13

Interesting question. Just like "machine learning", it may take few hundred kilometres to learn the response of new vehicle. And later it just goes into your muscle memory. Basics of driving may not change irrespective of car.
I remember when I first drove an automatic after being so used to an MT, it felt paralyzed as I didn't have to use left foot and hand much. One long drive is all it took.
rbabar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 18:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:

With Trax that was easy cos it whines loudly and you shift. Of course you learn along the way. Here the engine sound is an unreliable indicator. Further it seems to accept gear change at any speed to any gear unlike Trax that'll stall if you shift too early at lower speeds.
As Simhi has suggested, Try changing gears as recommended in the car's manual and notice the engine smoothness at the recommended speed in each gear. Soon, this will come to you naturally, i.e. changing gears w.r.t. to the engine sound/ smoothness.

Another option could be to take one of your friends/ experienced drivers who can guide if you are changing gears too early/ too late.

And a final suggestion: don't think too much about it and be confident. 15,000 kms is no small experience. . Enjoy the car!
rachitarora1985 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 18:04   #15
BHPian

It has been already said by everyone, but still just a matter of time. Spend more of your time behind the wheel. Experimenting gets you the right thing. 2 points that might help you:
1. If you're getting too concious driving it during normal working hours, try taking it out during late night or in an empty ground.
2. Might seem lame but it has worked for me everytime. Do you have hills nearby? My family, my friends and me have learnt alot about any car in hills than in plains. Might be just a psychological thing, but try if you could maybe works for you too.
Happy Driving!

Last edited by vtecblast : 26th March 2021 at 18:06.
vtecblast is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks