Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 08:33   #76

Re: Overspeeding ticket for 60 kmph speed on a highway!

GOD DAMN!
I live in Bhubaneswar, a tier 2 city with not a lot of traffic and some real SMOOTH tarmac, especially the new road projects.
Recently our govt put up speed cams all through the city and now suddenly we have chaos. Keeping your vehicle below 50kmph even in the city can be conscious work, except for near traffic bottle necks.
This thread is giving me nightmares thinking about all the things that could be enforced here
And I could never decide if I like or hate the cops here.
Some are so well behaved, they don't take a penny under the table, while some are just plain goons in uniform.
Old 13th April 2022, 15:51   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu View Post
GOD DAMN!
I live in Bhubaneswar, a tier 2 city with not a lot of traffic and some real SMOOTH tarmac, especially the new road projects.
Recently our govt put up speed cams all through the city and now suddenly we have chaos. Keeping your vehicle below 50kmph even in the city can be conscious work, except for near traffic bottle necks.
This thread is giving me nightmares thinking about all the things that could be enforced here
And I could never decide if I like or hate the cops here.
Some are so well behaved, they don't take a penny under the table, while some are just plain goons in uniform.
Also, the NH5/NH16?
So, which roads are the camera zone then? I am planning for home trip next week, I will be careful in those roads.
Regarding twin city traffic cops, my respect stopped the day they charged me for not having a blow type air horn in my car.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 13th April 2022 at 15:55.
Old 14th April 2022, 05:27   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Also, the NH5/NH16?
So, which roads are the camera zone then? I am planning for home trip next week, I will be careful in those roads.
Regarding twin city traffic cops, my respect stopped the day they charged me for not having a blow type air horn in my car.
The highways are more or less safe. I did not spot any cams on my previous ride. However police interceptors might be stationed at random places, so my advice is keep an eye out for speed limit boards and tata wingers with "lal batti".
Mainly the speed cams are in-city.
Mostly the major intersections have been equipped with various detection systems.
Overspeeding ticket for 60 kmph speed on a highway!-screenshot_202204140520502.png

These are where you absolutely have to slow down below 50. Some of my acquaintances have been challan for going 52-53kmph.
The works are in progress, so I guess that list will keep getting longer.
Fun fact: I haven't yet heard of two-wheelers getting challaned for speeding. I have seen a lot of people zoom by at dangerous km/h, yet nothing
Zangetsu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 12:48   #79
BHPian

This is a huge problem now-a-days on our roads and it is very important to start a petition or something to avoid the scam. Driving on roads is a crime thanks to varying speed limits and speed guns. Is there any way a mass action can be taken here?

These speed guns are also strategically placed to ensure maximum damage. Finally we have some pothole free highways but then they bring this ridiculous speeding tickets which are unreasonable at many places. At least be consistent with it.
abhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 22:22   #80
BHPian

Hello friends,

I have faced over speeding challan twice and in both cases I feel the challan was unreasonable.

1. I was fined for being at 81.XX km/h when the speed limit was 80 km/hr on the eastern freeway in Mumbai. I came to know about it much later (more than about 1 year later) as I was not using any app to track the record of my vehicles. Due to lack of awareness I just paid the fine online. This incident is from the year 2019.

2. In June this year while returning from Mahabaleshwar, I was fined for over speeding at 66.XX km/hr while the speed limit was 60 km/hr. I always follow traffic rules so never thought of being fined for overspeeding, Found this challan in November 2023 when I incidentally checked the traffic app.

Today we have been served a summon (link in SMS) for being present in the Lok Adalat on 09 Dec 2023.

Though I will pay the fine and avoid the hassle of going to the Lok Adalat, I wonder what happens in such Lok Adalats, are the citizens given a chance to contest against the fines.

These fines have made me think about the tolerance limit for overspeeding in Maharashtra or any standard for the same pan-India

Do not know whether the traffic cops even do a calibration of their speed guns and how often they do it or whether there is any such requirement.

Though I feel bad about paying such fines I just do it to avoid the legal hassle.

Recently I have challenged the traffic cops for trying to stop me for jumping a signal and it has happened about 2 times in the last 6 months.

In both the cases, I crossed the junction while the signal was green, due to slow moving traffic the signal used to turn ember and then red before I could exit. Additionally in the first case wherein a TMT bus took a U-turn blocking my lane, in other case an errant rickshaw driver cut across me from my left. In both the cases cops watched this but did not stop either of them. Since I have dashcam in all my cars, I could easily challenge and escape being fined.

I could do it because I was stopped while the violation supposedly happened, if it was an online challan, I feel nothing much could be done, as I would not be having the footage from the dashcam to support my innocence.

The above incidents have made me think as to how the duration of the signal to turn red from ember is decided. In Thane city there are many intersections where the distance between one point of junction to the point you finally exit the other signal is more than 30 mtrs, heavy traffic and errant drivers ensure that those enter a signal during the last few seconds while it is green will never be able to cross while it is ember.

Any suggestions how such fines can be prevented.

Thank you.

Cheers
Old 4th December 2023, 10:29   #81
Senior - BHPian

Regarding speed limits, while it makes for an irritating logic, legally they are not wrong. Speed limits are the upper limit set not the minimum limit. So going 1 or 10 above speed limit, you are exceeding the maximum tolerance.

As for junctions, i believe if you cross the jn on green you can proceed on albeit with caution. If the signal is turning to orange, i slow down and stop depending on size of junction and just how close i am to it.
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 10:16   #82
BHPian

Recently while traveling to Jaisalmer, saw that on a particular stretch of the highway between Bikaner and Jaisalmer the speed limit has been set at 70 km/h!
The road quality is very good, and since it's such a lightly populated area the roads are almost straight for long stretches.
Speed limit boards have been put up, and cops stand there with speed guns to mint the money.
What is even the point of creating such highways if the speed limit is set so low just to collect fines. Weird!!
DuHasstMich is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks