Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2022, 17:31   #91
BHPian

Re: Ways to avoid traffic challans

Interesting Thread.
However, the point of discussion should have been how to discipline ourselves to follow traffic rules rather than how to flout them and still avoid challans. One reader does not have a number plate in front on his vehicle and would like to have an arrangement where the number plate is so reflective that it becomes unreadable when read through a speed checking camera. Is that not indicative of our willingness to bend the law for our convenience ?

On an open road, with the youthful energy flowing throughout and having a nice vehicle under your command, we think we should be allowed to drive at whatever speed we think is ok. Under normal circumstances, this is not right thinking. We as citizens should follow all the traffic rules, not only adhering to speed limit.

It is possible that even while you are on the right side of law, you are penalized but then you smile and move on without being bitter. There is no guarantee that you will succeed in life if you are honest and truthful.

In not normal circumstances, some of us may argue that when there is no traffic, what is the need for traffic control. Eg. late in the night, when there is absolutely no traffic, you are forced to stop due to a red light at a crossing when crossing it does not endanger anyone. Impatient people will definitely jump the red light. Or on an open 6 lane highway, when there is barely any traffic but the speed limit is only 80 when you can be very comfortable with 100 without causing danger to yourself or anyone else. Naturally, people will drive at higher speeds and break the speed limit.

Therefore, the point is how to have rules which are easy to follow and are practical.

Should we have time based. situation based rules?
How to implement then?
autobahnjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 22:44   #92
Senior - BHPian

On Pune Mumbai expressway you can see speed limit warnings on the left saying 100kmph and right opposite on the right you will see 80kmph warning. What to follow exactly?!

I was ticketed at 91kmph in 80 zone. Pretty sure I thought I was in 100kmph land. I even had a discussion with my wife about these confusing signs and voila, I fell pray to same.
Old 13th April 2022, 09:44   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
I recently got an e-challan from the Delhi Traffic Police for improper parking. I had pulled by the side of the road to attend to a mobile call. It didn't take the cop long to take a snap of my car and send a 500 bucks e-challan!

Surprisingly there is no way to challenge this absurd challan by the traffic police. I have 60 days to pay the 500 bucks.
I actually crossed the red light intersection on yellow light in Delhi. I was asked to pay fine for red light jumping. As saying goes, keep calm and discuss.

I requested and pleaded to fine me for parking and not red light jumping. In 15 minutes he gave in and i paid 100 rupee parking fine.

Also I would recommend not to pay the fine in first 60 days and let it go to online court in Delhi. Fine will be reduced to 100 which is a good bargain i believe. This works in Delhi and not sure of any other place so try with precautions.
sunnsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 21:39   #94
BHPian

Watch the biker pick up speed and dodge the cop
Probably he knows how to cancel the challan ?

Old 18th November 2022, 20:24   #95

Vehicle Speed Limit on Highways: Big News ! Don’t worry about the challan if the speed limit of 100km/h is exceeded, now you can drive so much! Gadkari made it clear

Source: https://www.rightsofemployees.com/ve...lear-74895607/
Old 15th February 2023, 18:47   #96
BHPian

I have noticed a lot of fake alerts coming on radarbot on Mumbai Pune route from Chandani Chowk till Khalapur. Has anybody noticed the same issue? I marked a speed camera installed before the kamshet toll naka but after a few days I find no alert is available and radarbot is not showing it on the app.

Entry to the expressway getting a speed camera alert for 50 kmph but I am sure there is no camera installed there. Is waze better? Planning to try using that.

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th September 2023 at 22:54. Reason: Clean up edits.
Old 17th February 2023, 05:57   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
I recently got an e-challan from the Delhi Traffic Police for improper parking. I had pulled by the side of the road to attend to a mobile call. It didn't take the cop long to take a snap of my car and send a 500 bucks e-challan!

Surprisingly there is no way to challenge this absurd challan by the traffic police. I have 60 days to pay the 500 bucks.
You can indeed challenge this in the court of the Judicial Magistrate (my brother did it a few years ago). The major downside is the cost and time involved. If you know a lawyer or have a lawyer in the family it is not actually very hard.
Old 17th February 2023, 08:18   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architkarpe View Post
I have noticed that a lot of fake alerts coming on radarbot. On mumbai pune route from chandani chowk till khalapur.
Does anybody has noticed the same issue? I marked a speed camera installed before the kamshet toll naka but after a few days i find no alert is available and radarbot is not showing it on the app.
Entry to the expressway getting a speed camera alert for 50kmph but i am sure there is no camera installed there.
Is waze better ? Planning to try using that.
Radarbot is pretty accurate in finding the speed cameras on the Mumbai Pune expressway. I see Radarbot showing cameras at major areas of Mumbai as well.
As I am using the free version of Radarbot, it does not support Android auto, so have to use mobile to check the cameras, which is not convenient.

Will also give Waze a try and update. I am not sure if Waze supports android auto.
Old 23rd July 2023, 01:33   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaygbye View Post
In Calcutta we have had automated challan systems for quite a few years now. I have been at the receiving end multiple times in the last 4-5 years
I agree on the adherence part and it hurts to be caught on the wrong side. Though a lot of cameras have been installed, people dont stick to the limit and the police also fines rarely. I believe it has a lot to do about the timing.

I got fined in the afternoon two days before in the Eco-park stretch where the limit is 50 and I was at 62. Funny thing is, everyone drives at 65-75 in this stretch and no one bats an eyelid. Lesson learnt, I started using Radarbot and Waze but this stretch (which is also my regular route) doesnt throw any alert. I added all the 9 speedcams in this stretch (up+down) but Radarbot still doesnt show it.

What do Calcuttans use to be alerted of speed cameras?
meetarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 18:12   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetarin View Post

What do Calcuttans use to be alerted of speed cameras?

App based detectors don't seem to work well in Calcutta and though I also have Radarbot installed, I don't use it within the city as it's pretty much useless, as you have seen. Also, Radarbot will fail against mobile speed guns so the best way to handle this is to not go over 60 kmph, which is the unofficial speed limit in Cal even where 50 is mentioned. However, there is no grace given after 60, so even if you are going at 61, you will still be penalized. On the Eco Park route BDNPC now also use speed guns in addition to the permanent cameras, and the other day I saw the police with a speed gun in front of ITC Royal Bengal too below the Ma flyover, so it's better to drive within 60 when the road is clear. Day and time of day matters a lot too and there will be more speed guns out when the traffic is comparatively less, for example on Sundays and holidays, and in the afternoon. Usually the police have their hands full with traffic management during peak hours and I have never seen any speed guns at these times.

If you are still interested in radar detectors, then you can try installing a hardware based radar/laser detector such as the Cobra RAD 450.
Neversaygbye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 15:37   #101
BHPian

Suggestion required to login into ITMS Challan portal - https://itmschallan.parivahan.gov.in/login

Today I received a Challan notice through SMS from BH-VAAHAN, however when I try to open the link it’s asking for email and pwd as credentials. I don’t recollect registering in this portal. Portal don’t have option for Forgot credentials or New user registration. In this case, how can I view the Challan?

I have mParivahan app, but it doesn’t show any Challan. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 6th September 2023, 21:15   #102
BHPian

So I disputed a traffic fine on https://vcourts.gov.in/.

I now see the case transfererd to court. Could anyone advise what to expect next, could I send a representative to the court? What happens if there's a no-show?

Ways to avoid traffic challans-capture.jpg

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th September 2023 at 08:21. Reason: Clean up edits.
Old 6th September 2023, 22:13   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldsouza View Post
So i disputed a traffic fine on https://vcourts.gov.in/.

I now see the case transfererd to court. Could anyone advise what to expect next, could i send a representative to the court ? What happens if there's a no-show ?

Attachment 2500191
Well if there's a no-show then either Notices are issued to summon you or your Non Bailable Warrant will be issued.

In case of representative, it all depends on Judge's mood. I would recommend you to either visit the court or hire a lawyer.

Just curious how much was the challan for and for what offence ?

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th September 2023 at 08:21. Reason: Para spacing.
Old 8th September 2023, 19:45   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Just curious how much was the challan for and for what offence ?
Incorrect Parking
Old 10th September 2023, 11:02   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldsouza View Post
So I disputed a traffic fine on https://vcourts.gov.in/.
I now see the case transfererd to court. Could anyone advise what to expect next, could I send a representative to the court? What happens if there's a no-show?
Incorrect Parking
Ouch! That probably is the reason, most just pay up and move on.

I would suggest you post this in https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ations-43.html (Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations) for better visibility from lawerys in the forum who can dispense better advise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks