Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2021, 16:10   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ways to avoid traffic challans

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Just loved the interface that Waze offers but unfortunately did not find the speed camera locations to be very accurate. Also it did not give me any audio alerts so I thought it was a distraction to continuously look at the phone while driving.
Am I missing something here? Do you find Waze to be accurate in Delhi?
I am thinking maybe I haven't setup something correctly if both of us being in the same city are having vastly different experiences.
Waze does not plan routes well in Delhi, but I don't need that in most cases. It works very well in Australia though, both in cities and on highways. The alerts can be turned on/off, but remain off by default. Since the information it shows is crowdsourced from other users, it works less accurately with fewer surrounding users.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 16:33   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Can you share how to enable this on google maps? I wasn't able to find the option despite news articles from 2019 mentioning it is available in India.
Looks like it's device specific (not very sure). It must be in settings > Navigation settings > Driving > speedometer and Speed limit.
Old 31st March 2021, 17:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridaygandhi View Post
Recently, in Ahmedabad new speed limits were enforced, which are hilarious. I will let the numbers do the work:

8 Seater Vehicles: 70 kmph
Transport Vehicles: 60 kmph
2-wheelers: 60 kmph
Cabs: 50 kmph
Cars: 40 kmph
Looks fake tbh. No editor will pass something which is bundled with wrong grammar and spelling.
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 17:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4J View Post
2 more points I follow to avoid challan are:
  1. When green is active only for 5 to 7 secs or less, and you are 100 metre or more from the stop line. Just slow down vehicle to stop instead of accelerating. Do NOT assume yellow light will save you. Just think that there is no yellow light. This can help in following two circumstances.
    1. When there is no yellow light.
You bring up a very relevant point. The "Yellow" signal is being used by the traffic police to fleece motorists. Never cross the stop line when you are being faced by a Yellow as the traffic police will be waiting for you with a challan for "Jumping the signal"

I was stopped by the cops when I proceeded to cross the line when the signal was yellow and hadn't turned red yet. Admit I carried on with my vehicles' momentum and didn't stop for fear of being back ended by a closely following car. The cops were waiting to flag me down and I was poorer by Rs.1000.

Thumb rule - when in Bangalore - consider the "Yellow" as "Red"
Rajeev1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 19:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Even Bangalore has different limits for 2 and 4 wheelers but Ahmedabad is ridiculous! I wonder how the software in those speeding cameras will identify the vehicle category!
May be they can decide based on data from RTO.
Anyway, the point is not different speed limits, but the fact that commercial goods vehicles and 2-wheelers have a higher speed limit than cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Looks fake tbh. No editor will pass something which is bundled with wrong grammar and spelling.
I can vouch for the authenticity of the same, because it has been widely covered in local newspapers. This is the only English post I could find and hence have attached this one for greater readability.
hridaygandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 19:50   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridaygandhi View Post

Recently, in Ahmedabad new speed limits were enforced, which are hilarious. I will let the numbers do the work:

8 Seater Vehicles: 70 kmph
Transport Vehicles: 60 kmph
2-wheelers: 60 kmph
Cabs: 50 kmph
Cars: 40 kmph
Is there any genuine source for these speed limits? Otherwise seems to be a fake - which I would ask you to edit/remove your post accordingly.

This link (dated Jan'21) for example gives a much more reasonable speed limit details across different type of highways and for different type of vehicles.

Quote:
Speed limits in Gujarat at a glance
Express Highway 120km/hr
National Highway 100 km/hr
State Highway 80km/hr
Corporation areas 65km/hr
Rural roads 50km/hr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
+ 1
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 21:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Is there any genuine source for these speed limits? Otherwise seems to be a fake - which I would ask you to edit/remove your post accordingly.
As I have mentioned earlier in my post, I can vouch for the authenticity of the post, the notice has been issued by Ahmedabad Police Commissioner. Since I could not find any English press covering the same, I attached the only sample I could find.It has been covered widely in the local press, in local language.

I am attaching here a link of the same covered by a leading Gujarati daily: http://sandesh.com/notice-issued-by-...-in-ahmedabad/
hridaygandhi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 22:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Is this radar app based on any sensor based technology or does it depend on the user base physically marking points on the app?
As far as I understand, it is not sensor based. They crowdsource the information.

Quote:
Also I have heard about number plates that become extremely reflective to the point where they cannot be distinguished when cameras try to capture an image. Is this doable?
Haven’t heard of this but sounds illegal.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 10:23   #24
BHPian

Re: Ways to avoid traffic challans

Well there is another way of locating fixed cameras on Delhi Roads. Just under the speed limit sign board there is a speed camera symbol which says you are being watched for speeding. I will try to post the picture next time I go out for a drive.
TJ02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:26   #25
BHPian

Well in Delhi you need to do much more than only avoiding speed cameras to save yourselves from traffic violations.
Always stops before the stop line and take extra margin as cameras here are not as great as speed camera radar. Nowadays Delhi traffic police have shifted to newer stuffs. This is trending in traffic violations.

In zero tolerance zones such as airport roads, RTR avoid sudden lane change.
Keep looking for right turn green light as they stop before the forward ones. Police is waiting for you after turn.
All left turns are not free. Even if there is guided left cut, it does not mean it’s free. This is most tricky one and you need to be extra careful as sign board and red lights are not well placed. Watch others before moving. Don’t hesitate to stop just at corner if you see a traffic police waiting. You still have lesser issue than going ahead. People reverse as well.
Don’t take U turn unless there is green light and right turn is also green. This is another tricky one. If there is no right turn green light, likely that u turn is prohibited or right turn itself is prohibited.

Don’t cross the red light on yellow, well the traffic police will take that for red as he is not watching signal but just looking to catch the last few cars on other side.

The cabs have different speed limits than one shown on road sign. Typically it’s 50/60 but never 70 as shown on DND or Gurgaon Highway.

Last edited by Wanderers : 2nd April 2021 at 11:29.
Wanderers is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:57   #26
BHPian

Recently Kolkata Police has installed Speed Cameras on all major roads of the city. I observed that the sensor detects the speed5-7 Kmph lesser than the actual speedometer and the Digits turn Red from Yellow then the cameras flash with LED lighting. So the Best way to drive is by maintaining speeds of 45-55 Kmph to avoid Challans.
The Governments are using these tactics to loot revenue and nothing else. I doubt if they really mean any good out this camera traps given the over all pathetic road conditions in Indian cities.
HooghlyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4J View Post
[*]Forget about free left
Agree! Unless there is a green permanently blinking arrow signal on, it is almost certainly not a free left. There's this oft ignored group called pedestrians and it's for them that all lefts are not free even if the traffic flow is not hindered.

The risk is that impatient/clueless motorists will honk the living daylights from behind since you are 'blocking' their 'free' left, bullying you into breaking the law. So inconvenient as it may appear leave the leftmost lane free even if you plan to turn left after the signal turns green
GeeTee TSI is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 12:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
I recently got an e-challan from the Delhi Traffic Police for improper parking. I had pulled by the side of the road to attend to a mobile call. It didn't take the cop long to take a snap of my car and send a 500 bucks e-challan!

Surprisingly there is no way to challenge this absurd challan by the traffic police. I have 60 days to pay the 500 bucks.
I believe the site they give the link to has an option to challenge the challan. You will need to visit a court though as far as I understand. I recently received a speed limit challan where someone else was driving my car on the Delhi-Meerut expressway near Akshardham. It gave me an option to pay online or to challenge it. Because it clearly showed my car's number and it was indeed over the set speed of '70' I decided to pay rather than challenge and then waste further time on it.
Neeraj_S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 12:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket Verma View Post
Speed Trap reporting feature was removed within 15 days of introduction, after various state Traffic Police, reported dip in revenue due to less speeding violation. This also illustrated that the feature was allowing people to drive more sensibly.

I often wonder about the purpose of speed limits in India? Is it there to generate the revenue for the state or to enforce safe road habits?
Grim reality of things today and probably more to come! It's like saying, to hell with you and your safety, we are more bothered about the moolah we can extort out of you! Extremely sad behavior on their part!

I remember being penalized for signal jump. That was on account of a jam resulting from police checking! They senselessly stopped a huge lorry bang on middle of the road and soon vehicles piled up! Guess who was at the middle of the intersection when the signal turned red, me and a couple of other cars and voila, a challan. So talking about safe road habits, Wonder how may of these jokers in the department actually have any traffic sense!
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 12:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket Verma View Post
Speed Trap reporting feature was removed within 15 days of introduction, after various state Traffic Police, reported dip in revenue due to less speeding violation. This also illustrated that the feature was allowing people to drive more sensibly.

I often wonder about the purpose of speed limits in India? Is it there to generate the revenue for the state or to enforce safe road habits?
Hi,
Gone are those days where we see any traffic cop regulating traffic.

All they have is a camera in hand and start clicking pictures and fill the government coffers
matchvan is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks