Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2021, 14:05   #31
BHPian

Re: Ways to avoid traffic challans

Recently I've started using the Radar Bot app that has been quoted above by other members. The app is decent and does its job but it's sad that it asks you to pay to use it in integration with Google maps, Rest it does the job well and is very handy indeed .
911CarerraS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 14:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
Well there is another way of locating fixed cameras on Delhi Roads. Just under the speed limit sign board there is a speed camera symbol which says you are being watched for speeding. I will try to post the picture next time I go out for a drive.
I know what you are talking about. Noticed it last night while driving from Gurgaon to Delhi. The route had around 10 traps in a stretch of 40 kms and some of them were marked out with the speed camera sign board.

On the other hand, some cameras are placed in a way that you would never spot it. These are typically the ones which are positioned to capture your rear number plate rather than the front. Gurgaon side of NH8 is where I have noticed them.

Last edited by warrioraks : 2nd April 2021 at 14:08.
warrioraks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 15:25   #33
BHPian

The illogical speed limits and 3rd world infrastructure has only been compounded by random police checkpoints post Covid for extracting even more money from commuters taking the mask off with their families. Often these checkpoints are just before a traffic signal leading to huge jams and prompting drivers to make a run for the yellow signal.

Out best bet against the speed challans does seem to be the Radarbot app. I hope the community contributes generously and improves its accuracy.
iamitp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 15:30   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket Verma View Post
I often wonder about the purpose of speed limits in India? Is it there to generate the revenue for the state or to enforce safe road habits?
I wonder on the same purpose! Most of the time, rules and laws are for revenue generation, and the most ridiculous is tracking efficiency of traffic department of the police on the revenue they have generated. I would flip it to say that the less you collect as fines, the better you have instilled road sense in your area residents.
Sanjivvohra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 17:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
...Although government’s efforts to bring some sanity on the roads is appreciable. But at the same time, it seems that the speed limits and the implementation of traffic laws is turning out to be a big mess.
To avoid getting fines, we should read the fine print. We have this wonderful example in Bangalore http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in/spotfines.aspx. Till date I have not seen a lane based speed limit signboard on this road.
Attached Thumbnails
Ways to avoid traffic challans-spotfines.png  

whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 19:20   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Just when I was expecting some juicy info like speed cam detectors, radar/laser detectors, tricks that would make our plate visible to naked eyes but not to camera flashes....comes info that are some pretty basic stuff to be followed by everyone.

Going to be specific about speed traps as I don't really give a opportunity to get challaned otherwise (touchwood)

Simple rule- If you are driving along, and happen to reach a stretch of road that looks suspiciously alien. No road enroachment, no jaywalkers, no lane hoggers, perfect tarmac, side barriers, light/nil traffic. In short, a road that looks unIndian. All your basic driving instincts tell you to either floor it safely or cruise at a comfortable efficient speed. DON'T !! There will be a speed trap, or a fixed camera. Go 20-30km/h less than the speed that you feel is safe for the road design.

Quote:
Speed Trap reporting feature was removed within 15 days of introduction, after various state Traffic Police, reported dip in revenue due to less speeding violation. This also illustrated that the feature was allowing people to drive more sensibly.

I often wonder about the purpose of speed limits in India? Is it there to generate the revenue for the state or to enforce safe road habits?
Truth finds it way out. If people drive slowly as a result of it, then it should be mission accomplished for safety. But nah, this is a revenue stream for authorities all around the world. Which will just go up as our country develops (hopefully accident rates will also come down)

Here is a thread for stuff that are at the moment in the grey area for our country. Expensive I guess, and my current driving patterns doesn't warrant their usage.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...tectors-4.html (Radar / Laser Detectors)
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 22:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
[b][u]
Yours truly was challaned recently for doing 70 km/hour on one of the best roads in Delhi. Since that day,
I can relate so much to your post @warrioraks. I encounter all the cameras from Mukarba Chowk to AIIMS on Ring Roads daily, and they are a pain in the holy bottom. One of the camera (near azadpur) has a speed limit of 50 kmph(all other have 60kmph) and I was fined for doing 60 kmph.
I was noticing them from starting when the department started putting them up and everyone used to them that they can't work in India or they are only for show.

My next car is definitely going to be one with cruise control only for this reason, and I have been thinking to get a speed governor for my current ride

Also, if you're aware about the Swami Nagar area (between Malviya Nagar & Chirag Delhi), there is a speed limit of 30 kmph on that stretch and traffic police deliberately stands there with interceptor and issues challans for violating speed limits!

Last edited by parth.jain : 2nd April 2021 at 22:56.
parth.jain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 23:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
My next car is definitely going to be one with cruise control only for this reason, and I have been thinking to get a speed governor for my current ride
The speed limits on Ring Road/Outer Ring Road are unscientific and surely a pain. These are the city roads where cruise control works the best. I am one of the converts who used to think cruise control is a gimmick in Indian context. But nowadays, I prefer not to pick other cars in the family primarily for the reason that they don’t have cruise control. Staying under the prescribed speed limits just becomes too stressful without this god-sent feature.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 07:48   #39
BHPian

Another key point is NOT to plan our travels based on Google map timings. Have a good buffer so that you have cool mind. This allows you to take care and avoid challans. Let it be yellow/red signal jumping, overspeeding, incorrect parking or newly introduced bus lane hogging Challans.
Vizay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 09:59   #40
BHPian

I think the very basic thing is to learn about all the Indian Motor Vehicle act. For instance, let me ask one question to the forum. In a signal where there is no marking for stop line and there is an electronic signal, where should we stop in case of a red signal in order to avoid a challan. There are more such practical awareness we need to have for safer driving and avoiding the challans.
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 10:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Speed Trap reporting feature was removed within 15 days of introduction, after various state Traffic Police, reported dip in revenue due to less speeding violation. This also illustrated that the feature was allowing people to drive more sensibly.

I am sure we have many members who are part of the Google family also. Isn't there a way to represent a request to re-instate this in the benefit of the Indian road users ?? Also can we not put in a representation to the Govt authority (MORTH!!) not to object a similar move in the benefit of the road user safety ?? Looking for thoughts here from our members....
sudipta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 13:00   #42
BHPian

As if the current mess was not enough, just read this article. I am at a loss of words. Truly mind boggling!

Haryana mulling automatic challan system for overspeeding

Quote:
The Haryana government has plans to put an automatic challan system in place for overspeeding in the state, Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar said on Wednesday.

Under the plan, a suggestion has also been received for an auto debit of the fine from the account of the violator, he said.

"We have a plan to bring an automatic challan system for overspeeding on roads in some areas," Khattar told the media here.

The violator will get an SMS about the debit of the fine amount, he said.
http://www.outlookindia.com/newsscro...eeding/2056622
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 13:49   #43
BHPian

Some questions for riding in Delhi:

1. My colleagues told me that there is no speed limit mentioned for motorcycles in most of the sign boards in Delhi. Is that true? If yes, then what is the speed limit for two wheelers in those areas?

I have noticed that while cars try to follow speed limits, motorcyclists do not unless there is physical presence of police.

2. Is it true that speed cameras installed at traffic signals, poles are not able to capture motorcycle's registration number due to their smaller size?

3. Anybody received challan (not on-the-spot) for overspeeding the motorcycle?

I hope answers are yes, yes and no for these questions.

Last edited by NH08 : 3rd April 2021 at 13:53.
NH08 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 17:21   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
You bring up a very relevant point. The "Yellow" signal is being used by the traffic police to fleece motorists. Never cross the stop line when you are being faced by a Yellow as the traffic police will be waiting for you with a challan for "Jumping the signal"

I was stopped by the cops when I proceeded to cross the line when the signal was yellow and hadn't turned red yet. Admit I carried on with my vehicles' momentum and didn't stop for fear of being back ended by a closely following car. The cops were waiting to flag me down and I was poorer by Rs.1000.

Thumb rule - when in Bangalore - consider the "Yellow" as "Red"
I was once challaned for crossing Yellow signal in Delhi. The cop said you are not supposed to cross if it is Yellow. Basically Yellow is just a buffer in case you entered while it was Green. So no passing on Yellow is valid everywhere!
heysac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 17:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Can you share how to enable this on google maps? I wasn't able to find the option despite news articles from 2019 mentioning it is available in India.
I think I found it, in Google Maps Settings - Navigation - Speedometer. Although I am yet to try it out, after finding it with a Google search. I believe it is referred to as speedometer. Someone who has actually tried it may know more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks