Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2007, 23:42   #1
BHPian

My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck...

Well, guys...it finally happened after several close encounters and minor injuries to my car, my beloved Ikon 1.6 Nxt....

I've been lurking on TBHP for almost 2 weeks now, and with this good reason - I'm depressed about being carless!

So here's a description of my stupid accident that took place around 8:30 pm on Apr. 19, 2007 on Hosur Road, Bangalore....I've included pics so y'all dont get too bored!

Firstly, for those that care or are concerned, I was not injured....at all! In fact, the accident was relatively minor, but managed to damage a good bit of the front of my car!

So, I'm returning home from the office, and the stupid rain starts....heavily I might add.

I was doing about 40-50 kmph. About 15-20 feet in front of me was a Scorpio cruising along....all of a sudden, the damn Scorpio slammed on his brakes.....I slam mine too, and 100 milliseconds later realize these facts:

a) My brakes have been heavily faded for about a week now...in fact I was gonna get brake fluid and rear brake pads changed the coming weekend.

b) My wheels have locked...and there's nothing stopping them from skidding on the now slippery road (it was raining, remember?)

c) I'm approaching the Scorpio WAY too fast, who seems to have stopped on a dime...(I learn later from the owner that it was brand new)

Just after realization (c), above, I experience the inevitable...a sickening SLAM and CRUNCH as my car rear-ended the Scorpio. All sorts of sounds emanate from under the hood of my Ikon....I shut off the engine after seeing that the throttle body was pulling involuntarily.

I get out in the POURING rain to examine the damage as the Scorpio owner exits his car as well....there was no mistaking the smell of leaking coolant - my front was (almost) totalled, with the hood also quite bent. I looked at the Scorpio bumper before the guy starts reprimanding me - frickin' two MINOR bumps! that's why the guy (name withheld) was a bit forgiving. We exchanged info and numbers and he went on his way.

I get back in my car with all sorts of negative feelings....there was a family function going on at my house for God's sake! Bad karma indeed...teaches me to speed, however slightly, on Hosur Rd. in the damn rain!

Anyway, I call the Ford Breakdown service guys who say they'll take 40 mins to reach me....crap, nothing to do until then but inform the family...

10 mins later, the Traffic Police tow truck shows up, explaining that they HAVE to tow my car to the nearby police station since it was in the middle of the road and blocking traffic...I go with the flow, safe in the knowledge that no case need be registered.

At this point, my Dad and Uncle (family function, remember) have already declared on the phone that they're gonna come get me...which is actually the other reason I decided to go to the police station - they could find me easier there than on the stupid road!

I bring up their visit for yet another good reason - my uncle actually knows the circle inspector of this place well! Which is why we got away with only Rs. 300 for the tow-charge...which was still uncalled for, but we Indians know what it sometimes takes to get out of a situation with the authorities! (and I don't mean conversational diplomacy)

By now, the rain's stopped pouring, but starts again JUST when the Ford Tow Truck gets to our location (seriously, what bad luck)...my folks ride in my uncle's car and I help the truck guys hook my car and ride with them...the car was left for the night at Metro Ford (downtown BLR) and I came back the next day to take care of insurance claims etc....

It's been 2 weeks now, and I'm only getting the car back on Tuesday of next week - a delay caused by headlights not in stock! (can u believe that)

Anyways, moral of the story - frickin' drive safe kids! Especially when it rains...and yes, know your brakes' ability and those of the car in front of you!!

Peace, all! Wish me luck...
Old 3rd May 2007, 23:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Pervez nice to know you came thru un-scathed. Accidents happen man , but as humans we all need to move on .
Cheer up and peace to you to mate. She will be back with all the charm you loved her for.
Old 4th May 2007, 00:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey dont know if this will add some comfort to you, but since you said your wheels locked up, probably having newer brakes wouldn't have helped!!

Because in anycase even with the brakes being old, they managed to stop the wheel from spinning. Now questioning your lock-up, it could be because of the car being under-tyred. What tyre did you have and how old are they?

My car came with MRF ZVTS tyres and were pretty bad even in straight line dry condition.

But the good thing is that you are safe.
Old 4th May 2007, 00:20   #4
BANNED

good to hear that you dint get hurt. hope you were wearing seatbelts.looking at the damage i wonder what the bill going to look like.
Old 4th May 2007, 00:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Man good to hear that you are safe

this happened to me also i rear ended a elantra and my car was totaled and the other suffered only minor scratches

anyway be carefull now onward and keep and good distance from the car infront of you
Old 4th May 2007, 00:36   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys....

1100D, u're probably right about the tyres, although I'm not sure WHEN they locked up and for exactly how long I skidded for...ABS is becoming a must-have in India!

Btw, my tyres are stock-size (175/65/R14) Bridgestones and I do know what u mean by under-tyred! When I get the funds (back), I'm gonna be upgrading the wheels and tyres....
Old 4th May 2007, 00:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezj420 View Post
Thanks guys....

1100D, u're probably right about the tyres, although I'm not sure WHEN they locked up and for exactly how long I skidded for...ABS is becoming a must-have in India!

Btw, my tyres are stock-size (175/65/R14) Bridgestones and I do know what u mean by under-tyred! When I get the funds (back), I'm gonna be upgrading the wheels and tyres....
You know, contrary to popular belief ABS has always been a necessity in India. Its just that the car companies did not want to provide it for keeping costs down (for competitiveness)

Forget just rain, think about braking on a smooth piece of tarmac and you suddenly hit small grains of sand left behind on the road surface after some construction. Or even on some poorly laid out surfaces you have the road disintegrating into pebbles. Even braking from 40kmph would be different with ABS. Whereelse you have engine oil left behind by some or other commercial vehicle at almost every corner of the road.

However, I have always heard of ABS from vehicle salesmen and unaware buyers alike that ABS is an overkill for India.

Anyway I have been told that those Bridgestones grip better than the ZVTS's. How many kms have you done on the tyres (cos that could be one reason of locking up due to tyre wearout), however the biggest possibility is that you would have had no chance to avoid this without ABS!

Last edited by 1100D : 4th May 2007 at 00:51.
Old 4th May 2007, 00:54   #8
BANNED

Man! Good to know You're safe.

Rains do cause many accidents but it is also our responsibility to be extra cautious and not to blame the rains.

Please. I don't mean any offence here, Bro!
Old 4th May 2007, 01:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Vez - Good to know you're safe & sorry to hear about your car.

Another problem with SUV's which no one highlights is that it creates a block in your field of vision especially in heavy traffic. Let me explain, my regular driving style is that I peer through the car infront & brake before the car infront of me does, so in effect I get extra reaction time incase of a panic braking situation.

But with a SUV or a heavy vehicle that is not possible as I can't see through and at times this can be a deciding factor between having a crash & having a near miss. Do keep that in mind in heavy traffic next time, it might just save you from an expensive trip to the workshop.
Old 4th May 2007, 07:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Oh, sad! All's been said - so get better rubber when possible and though its frustratingly difficult in Blore traffic, try seeing if the 4 sec gap is possible. Fortunately the speeds were not too high and everyone's fine. Its not called the crumple zone for nothing - so looks much worse than it is. Cheers.
Old 4th May 2007, 07:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ohh good lord, thats very unfortunate !! Nice that you are safe and out of hassles...
Others who are wondering why Scorpio got lesser dent than Ikon, there is some physics for it...
Hope many of you have studied the collision of 2 bodies in the school mechanics class (this case is an semi-elastic (0<e<1) collision), it is always the body who has more velocity gets damaged most (coz rate of change of velocity or the change in KE is the most and that energy in converted into this distruction, in this case the Ikon)

Abhi
Old 4th May 2007, 08:25   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Vez , its really sad to know that you had to go through all this .. Hope you get your car back soon .. Dont loose your heart , stuff happens ..

How in heaven's name did you get away with just 300 bucks .. Actually you have already mentioned the reason ..
Old 4th May 2007, 08:53   #13

vezj420 - It good to know that you are safe which is primary.

You mentioned that your brakes were locked. In such a situation it is best that you release the pedal and pump the clutch and the break pedal again and again. This help in giving more pressure to the chambers. This is something I have learned on various driving safety courses. I have experienced this in some Icy roads of Nothern Alberta Canada and now am currently experiencing them in Western Siberia where I work.

Other thing about ABS. ABS is good for city conditions where the speed is slow usually under 20 K and the brake pedal keeps pushing the pedal automatically, but not fast enough to give you the optimum pressure when it is needed. I have had ABS on my 93 Nissan Maxima and on my 2005 Nissan X trail and trust me it is not worth it when you are travelling at 60 K or higher and you need to brake fast. The best way is that if you have ABS try and break hard, once your wheels lock and you know you are sliding, release the brake pedal and then hit on the brake again and again. You will see the difference. Try that on an empty strip, accelerate to about 80K - 100K and then break hard and I mean floor the pedal and when it locks release and hit hard, you will be surprised how fast you will stop.

Yes tyres make a difference too but then again you do not anticipate these things and it happens.

I have done these courses which are a part of my employment but when the time comes to use it you kind of forget it and you end up hitting it for sure but again its nice to know may be some day I would use it.

Garfield
Old 4th May 2007, 10:16   #14
Team-BHP Support

Vez, sorry about your car. Hosur road is a mess to drive on, ANY time of the day, and add to that the rains, and a vehicle in front which blocks your field of vision.

Quote:
But with a SUV or a heavy vehicle that is not possible as I can't see through and at times this can be a deciding factor between having a crash & having a near miss.
Irraghava had a very vaid point in what he mentioned. Even i try to drive this way, as and when possible.

How much has the estimate for the damage been put at?
Also, did you go to Metro Ford as its your dealer, or was it decided by the Ford tow truck? I suppose you can also check with the Cauvery guys if they have the headlamps in stock.

Cheer up, the car will be back. Could have been a lot worse for all you know.

Talking about Hosur road, its THE worst road to drive on. Was nearly sandwiched between buses on either side, not to forget a Volvo in front yesterday. Seriously makes me consider a Scorpio or a Safari for the road presence.
Old 4th May 2007, 10:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

sad to read all this, rains are indeed very dangerous especially in a city like Bangalore which has one of the most chaotic traffic.

Yes tyres also do matter, but on the wet MRF actually do a good job.

And pumping pedal thou sounds easy might be a daunting task when it comes to real life panic scene.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks