Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2014, 18:32   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Scam: "Engine mein spark hota hai..." DONT GET FOOLED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
But here the surprising part is that he just asked for 50 rupees ! I still gave him 100 rupees as i did not know about all this and just thanked my stars.
Hello,

Seriously lucky you are just to escape with loss of Rs. 100. Do not misunderstand me, but their real target is your Mobile / Bag / Laptop or something valuable lying inside the car.

Exactly one month back (on 1st December 2013), my uncle lost half of his November salary to a similar trick near New Era Cinema, Malad West. He just came out of a petrol pump (since he got down at the pump, the doors of car were not auto locked, which happens after speeds of 20 kmph) a person asked him for some address. While my uncle was helping him with the address, another person grabbed the small bag lying on passenger seat & disappeared. By the time my uncle realized, the person who asked the address also disappeared somewhere.

He was coming back from bank after withdrawing a major part of his salary credited to his account on 30th November. Probably those thieves were following him from the time he left the bank.

Thanks,
Old 1st January 2014, 18:36   #62
BHPian

I think the 'police' board helped me. Because as soon as i parked the car i put up the police board on the dashboard which was in the glove box. They told me that traffic cops will tow away my car if i park there. I just put the board and told them not to worry about the car getting towed. I think that is the reason they did not fool around more with me.
Old 1st January 2014, 19:48   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
I think the 'police' board helped me. Because as soon as i parked the car i put up the police board on the dashboard which was in the glove box. They told me that traffic cops will tow away my car if i park there. I just put the board and told them not to worry about the car getting towed. I think that is the reason they did not fool around more with me.
From your post, I assume you are working in the police dept (please correct me if I am wrong) or any other law enforcement dept. In that case, it should be easier for you to spot such criminals. For ordinary citizen like myself, we'd be more prone to this kind of scam.
Old 1st January 2014, 19:51   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
From your post, I assume you are working in the police dept (please correct me if I am wrong) or any other law enforcement dept. In that case, it should be easier for you to spot such criminals. For ordinary citizen like myself, we'd be more prone to this kind of scam.
Actually my dad works for maharashtra police. I am just a student sir. Although i will talk to my dad about this topic.
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:00   #65
BHPian

In Ghatkopar West in Bombay, on LBS Road, between Shreyas Signal and R City Mall, there are a couple of people who do this to many passing cars.

There is a spot on the road which is broken and generally filled with water. All vehicles have to slow down here and that is what gives them the opportunity. The rigour is the same...@Sir, sparking@, Sir, mechanic available@, "Sir, change alternator (or any other part involving excess of 4000 bucks).

Team, please be aware (I had an experience but did not incur any monetary damage).

Travelwriter
Old 19th June 2014, 21:59   #66
BHPian

This scam happened with my colleague near Digha on thane-belapur road. He says he stopped after 3-4 passing cars alerted him about sparks from his car. As he stopped, two guys came to him and him to check the sparks. He doesnt have much memory after that. He faintly remembers that he withdrew 10k from ATM to pay for some part they fitted in the car. Please be aware of such scams and do not stop in such scenarios.
Old 30th July 2014, 02:14   #67
BHPian

This happened to me again when I was on my way to Mulund for the Monsoon Drive at Malshej. 2 guys standing near SCLR (CST road, Kurla) at around 7am asked me to stop as they could see sparks coming out from the front grille.
Thank god, i was aware of this prank and ignored them as i was already very late. Otherwise would have surely stopped and slapped them hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Rohitj92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 01:33   #68
Senior - BHPian

Some guys tried this with me at the turning after Bandra Masjid where you get onto the highway. Some minor repairs were being done at the triangle shaped traffic island and while turning this guy almost jumps right in front of my car and while gesturing wildly towards my bonnet yells " AAG ! AAG ! " Luckily in that split second I realized it was a scam and got quite a bit bit more pissed off than I normally would have because I had been subjected to the "tyre puncture" scam last month and also because this idiot has risked his life by jumping in front of the car around an almost blind corner.

I am ashamed to say that I sped up making him jump to the side. This idiot still tried to stop my car by trying to grab onto a car that was moving at 30-40 km/hr. I could hear his hands squeaking on the paint. His two buddies who also tried to stop my car shouting about the fire also had to move aside with considerable haste.

Please consider this post as a warning to be on the lookout for these guys and also consider this to be my road rage confession and apology to T-BHP for losing my cool and driving in a non respectable manner.
Old 7th August 2015, 00:23   #69

I am the latest victim of this road side scam in Hiranandani, Powai. Got conned in excess of 14K. I still don't believe myself that I shelled out my hard earned money to these morons. Wish I had seen this thread earlier!
Old 7th August 2015, 09:54   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhavivek View Post
I am the latest victim of this road side scam in Hiranandani, Powai. Got conned in excess of 14K. I still don't believe myself that I shelled out my hard earned money to these morons. Wish I had seen this thread earlier!
Whoa,can you please shed some more light on the details like exact place,time and their modus. I frequently use that route.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 7th August 2015 at 09:55.
Old 7th August 2015, 14:56   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhavivek View Post
14K, seriously buddy. Please share the details, there are many BHPians who frequent that area (including me)
Old 9th August 2015, 12:06   #72

Their Modus operandi is no different than what has already been experience by other bhpians in this thread. You can go through any one of them.

This happened to me at Bayer house (Now Scorpio) roundabout in evening, while returning home from work. I work in Hiranandani Business Park. Its pretty busy place at that hour. Later when i realised about the scam, i got to know that its prevalent across Eastern suburbs, JVLR, Powai and is very old trick. There are usually 4-5 accomplice of the gang of thugs. You may ignore the first member's attention, but may fall to the larger trap.

Though i feel angered and shamed about this whole incident. My intension here is make BHPians, their family and friends aware that this dirty trick is still alive. I am only spreading the word as much as i can so that there are no further such instances of rip off.
sinhavivek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 14:17   #73
BHPian

Guys, this happened to me yesterday on the way to linking road Bandra. One of the signals I dont know the area so well, but this guy at the signal started signalling at my car saying there are sparks coming from the car. I had my baby and wife in the car and it was around 5ish in the evening. I didnt budge or didnt even roll down my windows to enquire what he was talking about. After 50 meters another guy said the same thing and started signalling. At this point i thought something could be wrong so i checked the heat/cold meter in my car it was showing normal, also i could not see any smoke coming out(My car is a 2015 ZDI Swift). I was trying to think how a new car which i maintain quite religiously suddenly start showing these signs. I did not stop or inquire to either of them and then proceeded ahead and stopped near the traffic cops and got down from my car to check the front of the car. Nothing as expected although i was disturbed as to the possibilities if i had stopped to their warnings earlier. Dont know what i would have had to part with. These guys are really the filth of this planet, they want to make a quick buck upon other peoples misery. Other BHPians please take a note of such scams, always use your instinct in dealing with such rogues.
nofear5611 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 17:42   #74
BHPian

Really sad to see a trick documented in our forum in 2007 is still being used to fool the gullible public. If nothing else, the police should have put up banners warning of such scams in the very areas where this is happening, apart from using the FM Radio, TV and social media!!
raghu.t.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 00:22   #75

Just a thought, Do you all think this 'chingari' trick can be carried out on diesel engines? They do not have spark plugs, wires or a coil ignition system.

I own a Volkswagen and I have an added advantage that a neat little plastic plate covers my engine. So I don't think someone can just pull off wires just like that.
anish29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks