Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2021, 17:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Farmer throws out car for blocking his gate

Do not try this in India, especially if it is a woman.

I have witnessed a confrontational instance when it turned bad for my own neighbour (lets call him Don Quixote). Although the lady was completely at fault for parking exactly in front of his gate, DQ wasn't inconvenienced much & he could've let it go. Proud man helplessly took to his quest to civilise.

For the kind of events that ensued, our neighbours were shocked at the tenacious wits of this lady when she escalated this with the cops. Long story short, DQ was lucky to have a CCTV pointing at the direction. That day many of us understood what the saying "Hell hath no fury as a woman scorned!", meant.

Take pics & call the cops. The person calling the cops first is presumed to be right. Again, DO NOT try this in India.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 13th June 2021 at 17:24.
WorkingGuru is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 09:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Can relate to the sentiment, there was a time when a playschool/kids activity center opened near our house and all through the day and especially on weekends there was a continuous stream of vehicles parking in front of our gate, waiting outside our gate, honking. To each individual parent, it must have seemed like 'I'm just here for less than a few minutes' not a big deal. But for us it was a constant irritant and I'm sure we came across and the 'bad guys' for constantly complaining. Obviously, never thought of taking it further than polite verbal complaints, of course. (Thankfully they moved out after less than a year!)

Always a bad idea to escalate any confrontation to a physical level, unless you are prepared to follow through to the end. And most of us are (thankfully) not the type or suited to/have the resources/mindset to enjoy physical confrontation or prolonged legal confrontation.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 09:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Seems from the report that tourists were illegally parking on the farmer's private property. If that is the case, he's well within his right to force the cars out. I hope the man wasn't seriously injured when the forklift hit him. (Towards the end of the video)

Tourists: Either go early and find parking or pay the premium for parking.
Old 16th June 2021, 10:14   #19
BHPian

I have no sympathy for the car owner. I wish I could do this in India.

Many times I find stupid people park their car at the road bottle neck and whole traffic pace becomes extremely slow. Such people deserve this treatment.
Old 16th June 2021, 11:17   #20
BHPian

Kinda hard to sympathise with a dude with no shirt on, so yeah I would give the farmer the benefit of the doubt.

Having said that, the forklift came way too close to this man. Could have easily injured him fatally. The farmer can get away with clearing cars from his property but I doubt he can get away with manslaughter or murder.
Old 16th June 2021, 11:25   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
The farmer can get away with clearing cars from his property
Not sure even that will be legally allowed. Perhaps one of our lawyer forum members can clarify about what the law says about something like this in our country. If someone parks illegally, say in front of my gate and blocks access, can I legally move that car myself using a tractor or something? Or should I inform the cops who will do it? Also, while it is a common practice (even the cops do it!), I think deflating car tyres however illegally they are parked (and however much they may deserve it!) is probably also, strictly speaking, illegal?
Old 16th June 2021, 12:11   #22
BHPian

Just wondering, if the owner was right there, he should've asked the farmer to stop, get in the car and move it out !!!
Saving his car should've been more important than recording?
Old 16th June 2021, 13:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Where are those days gone? Today, If we stop our car near any field and enter the fields just to have breakfast and wash our hands, the workers or owner's look at us as though we are stealing their lands. And I am not saying they are wrong. Their experience have taught them these lessons.

But as a whole, the trust between people, the tolerance level, patience limits are diminishing and people have started seeing others as terrorists.

Coming to this case, I don't want to comment on whether the car owner was wrong in parking the car or JCB owner was wrong in showing his reaction. Both are right in their own way and both are wrong. But, we all need to learn to gain some more trust, tolerance and patience.
Those days haven't gone. Its responsibility of both parties to make it happen. I for any reason would not barge into a private property unless I have a valid permission from the owner. Trust factor doesnot apply to total stranger and if the persons behavior is not appropriate. In the video the car driver is without shirt, pretty much explains his attitude.

If a total stranger, walks to my property parks his car, I would wait or ask his intent. If found unruly, I would lockup the gate, let free my dogs and if need arises would not mind pulling the trigger. In this age, stranger can be a thief, killer or even a terrorist. I strongly believe trust needs to be earned and one should not take it for granted. There have been multiple instances where a total stranger asked me for permission to park their faulty car, asked for water or even used toilet, have happily let them in after finding them genuine.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 14:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Too many unanswered questions to tell if what the owner did was wrong or right, but find rather interesting that people taking sides already

Q. What was the purpose and intent of the car to be parked there? Emergency, break-down?

Q. What was the reason to enter into private property? Or was the driver not aware about it? He could have parked on the wide road where it eventually ends up.

Q. How long was the car parked there to make the owner of the land so furious? Don't think the driver asked for any permission.

Q. Couldn't both just TALK it out? I think there is more than just the car involved here, something pissed the land owner which made him a bit violent (I say so because he clearly showed intentions to harm the topless guy at the end of the video)
And instead of kicking the telehandler, couldn't he just get in the car and take it out of there? (What an idiot, honestly )

Q. Couldn't the owner just call the police and ask them to take action? Clearly there must be some laws for trespassing, blocking, littering on private property?

Whatever be the reasons, I feel the land owner should have been mindful of not assaulting the guy with his vehicle, even if it were by mistake. He would have died or seriously injured if it had hit his head.

The question remains since Lord Ram asked Laxman when he injured Shurpanakha (the act which started everything): How does one decide the extent of any punishment?

Last edited by NiInJa : 16th June 2021 at 14:36.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 15:13   #25
BHPian

Part of being a geologist is often being in the middle of nowhere, usually a rural setting, as part of field work, especially when you're at university. Sure enough throughout the course of my studies there's been plenty of times that I've run into farmers, wittingly or unwittingly, and this hasn't just been in the UK but across Europe as well. To give an idea of how the farmers really are and to echo what ajmat pointed out I'd like to share a story:

As part of my undergraduate dissertation you essentially have to spend 6 weeks geologically mapping out a 25 square km area. My area was in southern France in the Cevennes region for those familiar. Anyway, most of this land was farm land and one day my partner and I (students work in pairs for insurance reasons), couldn't find the trail marked on our OS (ordinance survey base map) we needed to get across to the next outcrop. We eventually stumble our way through what turns out to be a field full of rapeseed and notice a big old gate and a driven path. As we're getting our bearings the farmer appears with his dog, a rather large shaggy looking thing at that, both man and his best friend. He shuts the gate and marches up to us, at which point we notice he's jauntily carrying a shotgun in the crook of his elbow (French farmers, actually most farmers tend to be armed, if Hot Fuzz was anything to go by..). Naturally we're rather frightened at this point, I hardly excelled at my O level French but luckily my partner can speak the language. Monsieur Farmer is keen to know which company we work for. At this point it dawns on us that seeing our high viz jackets, hard hats, hammers and just general gear hanging off our backs, we'd come across as company geologists. We manage to fish out our university ID and basically tell him that we're just students here on field work.

The change in his demeanour was both instant and significant. We felt the hostility instantly disappear and instead were greeted by a warm chuckle. After telling him our story he grabs our base map, peers at it, crosses out all the incorrect paths and scribbles down the actual waypoints, gives us a whole bunch of handy short cuts and then essentially sends us on our way. Now this area was a farming village and we'd often see this farmer at the village local when we'd go for a drink at the end of the day. And this encounter was just one of the most memorable ones but almost universally they followed the same pattern. As long as you made a good case for yourself, you weren't harangued, in fact even if you were there for commercial reasons, the farmers would usually chastise you and send you on your way but if indeed you are there in good faith, they'd almost always be happy to help you, especially if you weren't being a general nuisance.

Clearly whatever happened to our English farmer that day, or over the course of many days I wager, to drive him to do something that extreme suggests it might not be the most isolated incident. Mostly you find farmers quite patient with the amount of miscreants that tend to gravitate towards their lands (Clarkson's Farm on Prime Video actually has one such notable example of said miscreants).
ads11 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 17:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I can only say, patience limit across the globe is reducing drastically. There was a concept like live and let live once upon a time. It has diminished and today's concept is, this globe belongs to me and no one has right to live on it except me.
I get the sentiment behind this but in reality this is the most peaceful, most prosperous (relative) time humankind has ever been in and it only gets better.

Should I remind you that not 80-85 years ago, colonised countries were real, massive wars happened at the drop of a hat, killing 10's of millions, death by famine and starvation was real. Discriminatory laws (be it in India - favouring the White colonisers, the USA - Jim Crow Laws, South Africa - Apartheid etc etc) was the norm, there was no concept of universal suffrage outside of a few select countries.

On this subject though, this is nothing new has been happening in rural UK for decades now. IIRC they even have blocked access laws that allow farmers to move vehicles blocking access.
Stribog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 02:03   #27
BHPian

In our apartment society, parking is reserved so when someone parks in your spot, you're well within your rights to deflate their tires, as stated by the numerous boards pasted around.

I and a few other residents do things a little differently, because frankly deflating tires can be quite cumbersome, so we simply park our cars horizontally behind the incorrectly parked car. It works wonders and teaches a silent unforgettable lesson to the person who has to come knocking on your door with multiple apologies, which quite frankly feel a lot better than 4 deflated tires.

Last edited by armaan_singh : 17th June 2021 at 02:04.
Old 17th June 2021, 16:27   #28
BHPian

Even if the judges look at the trespassing and car flipping a little leniently, knocking over the shirtless man will result in at least assault charges against the farmer.

Obviously, the dude did more than just block the gate to agitate the farmer that much.

I live in an area with parking problems that spillover from the main road to the residential parts. Random people block our garage door/gates from time to time. You just take precautions to avoid people from blocking. Then again, you face such issues in urban areas.
Old 17th June 2021, 23:03   #29
Team-BHP Support

Here is a another one
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...an-SLURRY.html

Luckily it was sorted out amicably.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 07:02   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

All the speculation and theories here are amusing, but let us not forget that no human needs to trust another for the mere fact that they are human, if history is anything to go by, the two legged species are the most dangerous, least trustworthy species of all time, hundreds of times more than a king cobra.

I take not only trespassing seriously, but also parking at the gate, this man did both. While violence and destruction of property by the farmer are also crimes, I'd blame the instigator for this as well, though I'm sure the farmer will be legally processed for this.

My point being, we can't rationalize human emotions and retrospect them, it's happend is all. I heavily distrust people I do not know, we've also gone to great lengths to ensure no one parks at the gate and if those electric cycles are left abandoned there I pick them up and put them near the main road. We as a country do not belive in privacy, rules or decency, but it's high time we do, don't you think?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks