Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2021, 12:25   #1
BHPian

Farmer throws out car for blocking his gate

A farmer in England was furious to see a car blocking his gate. So, he took his tractor, scooped the car and flipped it out on the road.

This happened in front of the car driver who was filming the incident and kicked the tractor angrily. There was another person who filmed the incident.

People are divided by this extreme action.

furious farmer flips car for blocking his gate

That was quite an action.
NH08 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 14:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Farmer throws out car for blocking his gate

I can only say, patience limit across the globe is reducing drastically. There was a concept like live and let live once upon a time. It has diminished and today's concept is, this globe belongs to me and no one has right to live on it except me.

While in schools and colleges, When we used to go to trips, our bus used to park by the side of the road and we used to get inside fields for breakfast just to get water for hand wash after breakfast. The owners or workers in the field used to give space for almost 40-50 students to have breakfast, allow us to wash our hands near their pump set taps, allow us to play for some time, and sometimes, they used to give jaggery or sugar cane juice prepared in their unit for all of us free of cost including our teachers(if we had stopped at sugarcane processing units).

Where are those days gone? Today, If we stop our car near any field and enter the fields just to have breakfast and wash our hands, the workers or owner's look at us as though we are stealing their lands. And I am not saying they are wrong. Their experience have taught them these lessons.

But as a whole, the trust between people, the tolerance level, patience limits are diminishing and people have started seeing others as terrorists.

Coming to this case, I don't want to comment on whether the car owner was wrong in parking the car or JCB owner was wrong in showing his reaction. Both are right in their own way and both are wrong. But, we all need to learn to gain some more trust, tolerance and patience.

Last edited by gkveda : 12th June 2021 at 14:39.
gkveda is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 14:48   #3
BHPian

One could sympathise with the car driver if his car had been on the public road. If it is on private property, it is the prerogative of the farmer.
My land. My rules. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
and enter the fields just to have breakfast and wash our hands, the workers or owner's look at us as though we are stealing their lands.
Your reaction would exactly be the same if the farmer entered your home just to have breakfast and wash their hands no?

Last edited by RedTerrano : 12th June 2021 at 14:51.
RedTerrano is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 15:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well done ! If someone puts their property on my land and refuses to move it out, I would have done the same. It is simple common sense not to block entry/exit points anywhere in the world.

The hatchback is clearly in the entry path of the farm. Those who have lived and owned a farm with livestock will know that there is always the chance of emergency. Animals get injured, animals giving birth, flooding or other situations where the path is always required to be free in case of an emergency. The last thing one needs is an obstacle. Farm life is difficult as it is with loads of physical strain and lack of other humans to interact with, and then comes pests like these. And there is only way to get rid of pests !
TrackDay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 15:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Your reaction would exactly be the same if the farmer entered your home just to have breakfast and wash their hands no?
Exactly. I am not pointing any single person here. In today's world, trust has disappeared from the planet, irrespective of whether it is me or any other person.

Why people were so considerate earlier, and so intolerable today is my question. Afterall the car was just parked in the field and the owner was clicking some photos. Again, I am deliberately not taking any one side here. I am just trying to get more insight into the human behaviour.

Last edited by gkveda : 12th June 2021 at 15:46.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 15:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH08 View Post
A farmer in England was furious to see a car blocking his gate. So, he took his tractor, scooped the car and flipped it out on the road.
Absolutely perfect, well deserved
Any vehicle owner worth his salt or having road sense should ever park inside someone’s private property or even if it’s a public road, block access if there is a gate or park outside someone’s gate.

The driver who parked his car was obviously (clearly seen in the video) inside someone else’s private property. He had no right to enter in the first place (unless he was visiting or a known person to the owner) forget parking his car there and taking photographs. If he wanted to, he should have parked somewhere on a shoulder of the road, anywhere outside and take as many photographs as he wanted.

It’s a good thing though the land owner did not hit him while reversing his tractor, that could have been unnecessary trouble.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 12th June 2021 at 15:53.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 16:16   #7
BHPian

This is such a stupid thing to do in a country like the UK, no where to hide from the law and he will have to face the consequences of his actions. Whether he was in the right or not for being on his own land, he will most likely face conviction for at the very least knocking the guy over with his tractor.

It's normally better to keep a lid on your temper else face a lifetime of issues, court, fines, possible jail time, and a criminal record.

I'm pretty sure he'll be regretting his actions very soon if not already.
s4ch is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 16:29   #8
BHPian

If he parked on a private road or land, the owner of the property has every right to defend against trespassing.

Two years ago, someone had parked a corolla blocking the entry gates of our apartment, neither two-wheeler nor four-wheeler could be taken out from the basement parking. The landlord and I went door to door in two adjacent streets to find out if any of their guest has parked late night. We couldn't locate the owner or driver who parked there.

The landlord decided to chain the wheels to gate pillars and called up Police. Police didn't bother much, multiple tenants who had to travel took cabs for commute. Around noon we heard the screeching sound of tyres and caught the driver who was unaware of chained tyres, got down puzzled. The driver was made to call the owner who acted ignorant of the mess, but the driver confessed that it was the owner who chose the well-lit spot for his shiny corolla previous night.

My landlord made him cough up six thousand rupees (500 per hour parking fee) and reimbursed the tenants who were inconvenienced to take a cab for their need, whatever money was left was donated to a nearby ashram.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 12th June 2021 at 16:31.
Thilak29 is online now   (59) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 18:31   #9
BHPian

This farmer did what I many time wished to do. But... I have a very humble Brio, not that tractor with two long, mighty teeth.

A couple of years back, when there were no CCTVs in our building, somebody parked his car in such a way that others had hard time moving their cars. Car driver could not be found.

It was an Alto, so some of the above-average-healthy people flexed their muscles and physically moved it away to make some way.

Next day, the Alto driver arrived to take out his car and found that its height reduced considerably overnight.

The security guard, being very helpful, gave him a hand pump and feigned his ignorance about his car's condition. The driver filled some air and learnt something.

Last edited by NH08 : 12th June 2021 at 18:32.
NH08 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 19:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

I wish I could do that to some of the people who park in front of our gates and argue arrogantly. Many times I itch to deflate front left and rear right tyres at least.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 10:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Good work. Various news article noted that no arrests were made which is unusual if the farmer was prima facie acting in an overtly criminal or malicious manner.

Having lived over there for 5+ years in a job which entailed significant cross-country self-driving, I sympathise with the farmer:

1. It was definitely private land given the metal gate at the entrance
2. The car's owner like looked the usual entitled young loutish drunks which seem to plague the UK inner cities and countryside as well.
3. There seems to be a history involved of loutish behaviour.
4. The cops didn't look unduly concerned
5. The exposing act at the end speaks a thousand words.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 13:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The stunned driver goes to check on his vehicle as the farmer swings the telehandler around and knocks him over with its forks.
Farmer might land up in soup here. This can easily be shown as intent of causing harm.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 15:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

The car was parked on a private property.

The guy kicking the JCB was the car owner as per the news.

The owner of the car was present besides the parked car.

The owner of the car instigated the farmer to move his car. The farmer dis stop once after reaching behind the car to see if the car is moved.

Based on the sequence of events, I don’t think the farmer is wrong here.

If someone comes and blocks the entrance to our home, stands besides the car and instigates to do something if we can, the blame shall lie on that person if we too move the car.

The only thing the farmer could have avoided is flipping the car like that.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 16:50   #14
Team-BHP Support

Having grown up in rural England, farmers are faint tolerant if you walk through or picnic but do not disturb the surroundings, this would mean littering or driving onto the land.

Some farmers even kept garbage cans for your convenience. This was before yob culture emerged

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

1. It was definitely private land given the metal gate at the entrance
2. The car's owner like looked the usual entitled young loutish drunks which seem to plague the UK inner cities and countryside as well.
3. There seems to be a history involved of loutish behaviour.
4. The cops didn't look unduly concerned
5. The exposing act at the end speaks a thousand words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
The car was parked on a private property.

The guy kicking the JCB was the car owner as per the news.

The owner of the car was present besides the parked car.

shall lie on that person if we too move the car.

The only thing the farmer could have avoided is flipping the car like that.
Main reason for the farmer behaving is the undermanned, indifferent police force. They would not have done anything.

As for the car, it was hired, this will get interesting - the youths might not have taken full insurance cover so hire car co will be running after then. If they did, the insurance will pay out and go after the farmer who could argue that this was an obstruction.

Here's what another farmer did

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eld-beach.html
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 17:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Here's what another farmer did
That reminds me of what a friend who lives in another part of the city told me once when we were discussing about vehicles blocking our building pathways. He lives in THE BUSIEST shopping district of my city. Not exactly in the middle of it, but a little away from the bustle, but on days when parking becomes difficult people will park even in front of their apartment complex and walk to the shopping area. God alone will know who they are and when they will be back.

He or anyone else in the complex never argues with them. Not even the security. This man has a few street urchins in his payroll. At the slightest signal from him they will act. They will come and play street cricket or hide and seek near the car, their very presence will make the vehicle owner nervous and he will go elsewhere. If he doesn't, when he comes back he will find the windshield smeared with mud or cow dung. If a two wheeler, the seat will be full of it. The urchins will be loitering nearby, and will take to their heels upon seeing the owner, each in a different direction. There is nothing he could do, not even identify where they came from.

Word gets around, and for a long time now no measures are even necessary; nobody parks in front of their complex. That place is taboo.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed