Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2021, 22:33   #31
BHPian

Re: Experience with traffic police in different cities!

Hi Reaper666,

I enjoyed reading your post. The cop thinking you are media and letting you go must be a tale you can narrate for generations to come!

Secondly, you are probably the only one to have got a cop to part with cash! Cash, that most certainly, was part of his ill-gotten gains!!
Old 12th August 2021, 13:57   #32
BHPian

This is the trend that has been observed in Bangalore. Excessive checks on two wheelers start after second week and four wheelers in the fourth week of every month.

After the first lockdown, PUC had expired. Traffic cops stopped me and directed to a PUC testing center. Pleasantly surprised at this gesture. Later realised that PUC fellow was charging a premium for the certificates that day.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:42   #33
BHPian

I have a pretty funny one. A cop pulled me over 2-3 years ago near the airport in Mumbai late at night (roughly 10-11pm which isn't even that late for Mumbai standards). I was on the way to pick up my brother from his flight and encountered a Nakabandi. Sure enough, they pulled me over and asked me to do a breathalyzer test. I had nothing to hide so I blew confidently expecting him to send me right on my way. He didn't. He asked me to get out of the car and proceeded to tell me how I am drunk and I must now leave the car for them to impound. Having not drunk a single drop of alcohol the last few days, I was perplexed. I proceeded to justify myself while he kept threatening to impound my car. At the end, I told him, do the test again, if it shows up anything other than 0.00%, keep the car. He berated me saying its an "online test" and it can only be done once. I laughed, politely told him to stop wasting my time, spoke to another nearby cop (presumably his superior) and drove off.
ParthVyas777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 19:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SainiAvi View Post
Jaipur
Visiting from Delhi is a matter of 4-5 hours and makes for a quick weekend getaway.
On one such very occasion was presented with a Speeding ticket just as I entered Jaipur from the main highway.
On a little talking with the cop was let go with a reduced amount of Challan.
This seems to be a standard operating procedure. They are not interested in managing traffic or instilling discipline. You can see bikers from nearby villages zoom past them without helmets but they are focused on out of state cars. I have nothing but hatred for Jaipur Traffic police because of the numerous out-of-state harassment stories experienced by self, friends, and other TBHP members. It is almost as if this is an entry tax of sorts, you come to Jaipur, you will definitely get challaned or have to bribe.

Since i was aware of the speed guns on outskirts, i managed to dodge the bullet but then comes a traffic signal on a circle where i crossed the stop line, it turned amber and a driver from my left decided to go right stopping me. The cop saw a chance and his smile said it all.

What's worse is that a) he refused to accept a digilocker driving license and insisted on physical copy b) kept on threatening that the license has to be impounded and i can collect it from the court c) he likely had a fake challan book where he wrote down the details but pocketed the money as he declined to give a receipt. So much for 'Padharo mhare des mein'.

Madhya Pradesh
I dont think anyone ever gets challaned outside of Bhopal. No helmets, tripling on bikes, no seatbeltsin car, half the people talking on mobile while driving/ riding. On a rare check on SH27, i got stopped due to out of state registration. The poor cop asked me (or seemed like confirming from me) if i was wearing a seatbelt. I reply in affirmative and we are back on the road. No biker was stopped all this while.

Traffic Police across India ensures that you feel like an alien or criminal in your own country. Or probably it is human nature to take advantage of a situation.
Totoro11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 19:47   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro11 View Post
This seems to be a standard operating procedure.
=======
So much for 'Padharo mhare des mein'.
I guess I was lucky enough to escape such a hassle in Jaipur.!
However, These days I'm having to be a lot more careful in Bangalore, with the Traffic Police trying to make due on their lost revenues during the lockdowns.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th September 2021 at 20:10. Reason: Trimming quoted text.
Old 8th September 2022, 16:15   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Please check out this Mumbai traffic police demeanour video posted by Mr Raj Shetye on the eve of Ganesh Chaturthi. The location is Kurla Terminus. The police wants to physically inspect his driving licence while Mr Shetye refuses quoting Section 130 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.

Please use the link to view the video on YouTube.

Quote:

Section 130: The driver of a motor vehicle in any public place shall, on demand by any police officer in uniform, produce his licence for examination: Provided that the driver may, if his licence has been submitted to, or has been seized by, any officer or authority under this or any other Act, produce in lieu of the licence a receipt or other acknowledgment issued by such officer or authority in respect thereof and thereafter produce the licence within such period, in such manner as the Central Government may prescribe to the police officer making the demand.
The Sec 130 uses the word "produce" and doesn't use the phrase "hand over" which is being emphasized by Mr Shetye.

The arrogance of the traffic cop is in full glare in the video all through. He threatens to book Mr Shetye under an irrelevant section saying he needs to wear a white shirt.

Ridiculous!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th September 2022 at 16:17.
Old 4th December 2022, 00:22   #37
BHPian

I hope this is the right thread for this post. Over the last couple of months (since Diwali), I’ve been having this rather disappointing experience with traffic cops in Mumbai. Seems that everyone in the traffic police department has assumed that a young guy driving a fast car must be up to no good. I’ve been pulled over 3 times already and every time they come up with some crap reason on why I am being detained. Today was when my patience ran out. I was out cruising just listening to some music when I stopped at a red light. Some dude on a modified 150cc bike pulled up next to me and started revving the nuts off his motorcycle. Lo and behold, as soon as I cross the junction, I am gestured to pull over. According to the police officer, I was racing the bike.

After explaining to the officer that the bike went a totally different way and it was impossible for me to be racing him, he said to me, “I have to wait for the Senior officer, I can’t let you go”. Pretty sure he just wanted his palms greased. That was it, I wasn’t going to put up with this anymore. His tone turned around in a jiffy as soon as I squared up.

I’ve always liked police in Maharashtra but this kind of behaviour is just not acceptable.

Note: All three times I’ve been pulled over, I was in an out-of-state registered vehicle.
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 21:05   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The Neelanchery, Kerala, traffic police have issued a 'PUC certificate not produced on demand' challan to an Ather 450X electric scooter rider. The amount of challan is Rs 250. The receipt viewed on the link also mentions the penalty for flouting Section 213(5)(e) of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988.

https://www.cartoq.com/police-issues...scooter-rider/
Old 20th March 2023, 19:00   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

The Sec 130 uses the word "produce" and doesn't use the phrase "hand over" which is being emphasized by Mr Shetye.

The arrogance of the traffic cop is in full glare in the video all through. He threatens to book Mr Shetye under an irrelevant section saying he needs to wear a white shirt.

Ridiculous!
Police have the powers to impound a license or any other car paper, a different section (206) allows this. I know it because I faced the same situation at one time, gave the same reason and was educated by some senior cop who happened to be around for some inspection. Later a lawyer friend confirmed this.

In any event arguing with the police over such a technicality is a bad strategy. I can see plenty of ways the event can turn ugly usually ending in grief for the driver.
Old 14th July 2023, 19:51   #40
BHPian

This happened to me while I was riding a friend's Bullet (1976 model) around the time there was a clampdown on modified silencers on Bullets (December last year), I run into a police check point where I see 5 other bullets standing with various modified silencers lying before them. As the road was empty, I was going at a decent speed, but as soon as I saw I was being flagged down, I slowed down and stopped. Cue an overzealous constable type running to grab my keys, only to get a shock when he finds his hands on the light switch rather than the keys, because this bike had its keys in the original configuration, on the right tool box. I killed the engine, pulled out the keys and pocketed them before he could do anything, then asked him what the matter was. He told me that I would have to pay a fine, as I had a modified silencer which, in his words "pataka maarta hai". I told him that the silencer was the same one that had been on the bike since it left the factory in 1976 and as for the pataka, he was welcome to try. I started up the bike, and try as he might, he couldn't get more than a 'phut' sound that comes when the bike stalls. Then a more senior type came around and asked me 'kab ki gaadi hai', to which I told him 1976. This seemed to impress him, as he then looked at the bike from all angles, then got a photo taken with it, and just to add to that, I also started it by hand to show the state of tune. All of this impressed him enough that I was asked to be on my way. I suppose there is some vintage value, even with cops
Vaastav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 10:59   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Free Press Journal (Mumbai) team has video graphed a traffic police Havaldar accepting bribe from a taxi driver in the Gateway of India area.

Shocking and amusing:-

https://twitter.com/fpjindia/status/...nuVOe41EQ&s=19
Old 26th October 2023, 11:32   #42
BHPian

Just an experience last week in Madhya Pradesh. While returning from Bhandavgarh in my Mumbai registered Hilux, I was stopped at a check post before Jabalpur.

Immediately a camera man started recording our conversation and the whole act. The camera man had a proper camera not a mobile phone. Mobbed by 2 to 3 police men and the camera man I was a bit worried. He didn't ask for any documents except license. After that they proceeded to check the complete car all the while asking me questions on where I am from, What I am doing here etc. and recording everything on tape. They searched and searched but did not find anything. The even searched my medical box. Post that I was asked to make an entry in the register and leave.

I am ok with checking, it is for our safety itself. But this was intimidating and a video was taken without consent. No transaction was done. All he said was "election season" and on the other hand several cars passed by and none were stopped including MH registered cars.

Tips:
I was calm and didn't argue.
I was worried what if they plant something and implicate me.
I made sure I didn't turn off the car and kept the dash cam running recording the audio as well.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed