Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2007, 21:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

He, he he, ask all those frustrated drivers behind me on the Gurgaon-Delhi stretch called MG road. They dart in and out from left to go ahead and fill the space and I fall back again in trying to maintain that distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Exactly !! I would say come down south someday and drive around in Bangy or chennai. People generally go back semi-psyched(pun intended).
Old 31st July 2007, 21:29   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
He, he he, ask all those frustrated drivers behind me on the Gurgaon-Delhi stretch called MG road. They dart in and out from left to go ahead and fill the space and I fall back again in trying to maintain that distance.
did you also notice that sometimes you would have had to go in reverse trying to maintain that distance ?
Old 31st July 2007, 21:55   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seasoned maniac !!

Thats extremely well described.
Old 31st July 2007, 22:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Without meaning any offence to any of the members' driving ability & knowledge, when I learnt my driving way back in '76, apart from several other things one thing that was drilled into day-in and day-out was to keep a minimum distance of 15 mtrs between the vehicles.

I've very diligently tried to follow that dictum till date.
Unfortunately space between cars here in bangalore is like vacuum. I try to maintain distance too so that I dont rear end someone by mistake. However two wheelers somehow always manage to squeeze into the space all the time, negating my effort to keep any space between the vehicle in front.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 31st July 2007 at 22:05.
Old 31st July 2007, 22:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

I've made up my mind!! If I return to India for good,no matter which city I live in, I'll get myself a good 4x4..A safari/M&M Jeep/Bolero ,and fit the best possible bull guard on the front,and some kind of protection on all the other sides & use it as a battering ram when these 'seasoned maniacs' get in front of me..

Once thing I've learnt from my dad- Don't let those 'pain-in-the-a**' 2-wheelers/cabbies get in front of you; they'll stay there for just a second but will be replaced by another moron in no time. Don't keep too much of a distance b/w the vehicle in front..it'll save you a few scratches on the car as well as the rish of bumping into those dodos who want to talk on the phone & ride at the same time..
Old 1st August 2007, 09:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

As much as possible, i try to drive a couple of feet away from the leading car & hope that the vehicle at the back also does the same. If there are 2 wheelers behind, then it is nightmare everytime you brake.
Old 1st August 2007, 10:15   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
As much as possible, i try to drive a couple of feet away from the leading car & hope that the vehicle at the back also does the same. If there are 2 wheelers behind, then it is nightmare everytime you brake.
I started out the same way, but now try to leave very less space in front when stuck in a jam.

When we talk of 2 wheeled menace, even the non-motored variety demands a significant share of the pie in the face.

When i am riding my bike, i try to be nice to private vehicle owners, but care a damn for cabbies. I give them a piece of their own medicine. i am thinking of gifting my bike the new Pulsar twin horns which will drive them up the wall. As of now, no horn and no proper working battery for the poor bike.
Old 1st August 2007, 18:45   #53
BHPian

Here's one more

Today near annanagar Roundtana (Chennai), a lancer cedia raced out of the signal like it was a drag race, when a man maybe in his 50s came out of a small street (which is like a t-junction) in a victor. The Idiot in the Cedia did not even slow down until the last moment. I call him an idiot because the man on the bike evidently did not see the car coming from his left side( he was concentrating on the right side as he was turning in that direction).

Bang! the man goes flying. The cedia's front fender is hanging loose(That's all), but the man is obviously in a lot of pain.

Surprisingly the police came real quick to clear up the crowd.

What Infer from this is that even though there was little bit of a fault with the biker, It could have been avoided if the wannabe racer could calculate about driving distances.

The point is car users have the guilt of causing some one else pain if there is a crash and it doesn't help if the victim is your dad's age!

For me this translates into car users being more careful inside the city . I know! It is unfair.
Old 1st August 2007, 20:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Today near annanagar Roundtana (Chennai), a lancer cedia raced out of the signal like it was a drag race, when a man maybe in his 50s came out of a small street (which is like a t-junction) in a victor. The Idiot in the Cedia did not even slow down until the last moment. I call him an idiot because the man on the bike evidently did not see the car coming from his left side( he was concentrating on the right side as he was turning in that direction).

Bang! the man goes flying. The cedia's front fender is hanging loose(That's all), but the man is obviously in a lot of pain.

Surprisingly the police came real quick to clear up the crowd.

What Infer from this is that even though there was little bit of a fault with the biker, It could have been avoided if the wannabe racer could calculate about driving distances.

The point is car users have the guilt of causing some one else pain if there is a crash and it doesn't help if the victim is your dad's age!

For me this translates into car users being more careful inside the city . I know! It is unfair.
Its a terrible thing to race within city limits, especially if you have a lot of traffic around you. On an open stretch its ok,as long as you are vigilant and observe for anything/anybody coming in the path of the vehicle..

Another case of a useless person with a lot of power at hand.
Old 1st August 2007, 22:29   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Find a retard(cabbie), parked his indica perpendicular to the road in an attempt to climb onto the service road .

The front wheels have cleared the concrete slabs covering the storm water drain. Rear wheels dont seem to clear coz the slab is atleast 6 inches higher than the main road.

Wish I had a tank or something on the same lines to bomb his cab and clear way for the other vehicles behind him .

Seasoned maniac !!
Found another seasoned maniac today. Doing the exact same thing on Hosur road. But guess what, this was a skoda octavia self driven car. I saw the car struggling to climb up. Then finally on the 3rd attempt it got up on the service lane.

A little later I came next to it and to my surprise saw a lady driving the car!!
Old 1st August 2007, 23:20   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
A little later I came next to it and to my surprise saw a lady driving the car!!
Days of equality. Accept it.
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:23   #57
BHPian

I always give enough space in front. It is not the gap in distance terms that matters, it is the gap in TIME terms. The 3 second rule in California is a great example. You must give 3 seconds gap in front. That is because it will take that much time to safely stop if the vehicle in front stops abruptly.

So, more speed = more gap. Less speed = less gap.

And even if a thousand bikers go around and fill the gap, I will simply fall back and keep the gap.
Old 4th September 2007, 16:36   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
lack of sense
Lack of brains is more like it.
Old 4th September 2007, 17:14   #59
BHPian

With this thread I can remember of my days in Bangalore. On outer ring road from Kamanahalli to KR Puram all the lanes are occupied by trucks. They will never give way even if you honk. All you have to do is to hunt for some space between them and squeez your way out.

Thank god I am back to Mumbai..... life is pretty cool here.

Most Viewed