Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2007, 18:31   #1
BHPian

Maniacs in Bangalore + Sightings of the Day

Today I was returning from 4th bock Jayanagar, to 7th Phase JP Nagar on my bike along the 11th main road in Jayanagar. While I was at the Raghavendra Swamy signal, I saw a brand new(with the gift wrapper on, hehehe) SX4-like car in Beige colour taking a turn towards JP Nagar. I waited for 60+ secs impatiently and chased down the car which was just leaving the next signal (SSMRV). I had a look at the car first and yes it was an SX4 as expected and it was the amazing ZXi (love those beautiful alloys). I just loved that swooping window lines where the cab connects to the bonnet. I wanted to have a look whether it had a leather option pack or not and there the nightmare began.

The guy just verved to the left of the road without a warning. I was at the left rear corner and I had to take evasive action. I thought it was because of the car in front but no, this guy had decided to stop right there in the middle(between intersections) of the road. He kept going left without any indicator what-so-ever and stopped bang on the main road. I just hate people who drive without a care for the others on the road. What makes it worse, still no indicators.

He had stopped off to drop someone I guess. I wanted to nick the car, but as usual I just passed by giving him a dirty look through my helmet. I noticed that the car was a KA-50 registration (thats Sagar town?) and bought from Kalyani Motors. I think that makes it the second SX4 in town after McLaren's pal(cant remember the name, ) bought the first.

Then I drove on and near Brigade Millenium caught up with a Red Swift VXi who I think had done something to his exhaust so that it sounded like an Omni. The exhaust pipe had lots of 'holes' and a sort of red taping just behind the tip. I wonder what that was - might be a free flow. Here was another guy driving bang on the middle of the road without giving way. I overtook him later at a point where I think he was trying to take a right turn without any indicators as well. Just missed nicking him. I would have for sure given him a piece of my mind if he had nicked my bike.

I wonder if there is any relation with the new sporty cars of Maruti and the lack of sense to use Indicators. Two similar incidents in a span of 30 minutes is a little too much. Meanwhile before these 2 performance cars, I also spotted a large black car near the Cool Joint signal in Jayanagar 4th Block. I initially thought it was an Accord but I now realize that it was a Ford Mondeo. I just remembered which car has those split (semi)circular tail lights.

And if those 3 sightings werent enough for today, near the RBI Mysore Bank I spotted his huge bike coming from the opposite direction. I initially thought it was a modified Enfield but then realised that I was a Triumph(or maybe a Harley, but I would bet on Triumph from what little I saw of the name on the tank). The bike was a black one with predominantly orange graphics on the tank. The tail fender was pretty bare and black except for a tear-drop shaped tail light surrounded in chrome. The engine was huge and occupied most of the space below the tank which I why I suspect it could be a Triumph. By god, If it was a Triumph.....

--
kuku

Note from the Support Staff: Watch the language!

Last edited by aah78 : 14th May 2007 at 00:56. Reason: editing language
Old 12th May 2007, 19:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

There is nothing new about this and it has nothing to do with marutis. Infact half of the people in bangalore dont use indicators. They just turn.
Old 12th May 2007, 20:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
There is nothing new about this and it has nothing to do with marutis. Infact half of the people in bangalore dont use indicators. They just turn.

Yes. Indicators are meant to be used by vehicle drivers AFTER turning
Old 12th May 2007, 22:14   #4
BHPian

Yeah, to "indicate" that they have just taken a turn !
Old 12th May 2007, 22:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Yeah, to "indicate" that they have just taken a turn !
Its the same case in Chennai as well!!!
Old 12th May 2007, 22:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Talk of the senseless morons on road.

Today evening was enroute to the T-BHP meet, when my cousin bro' called me saying that he met with an accident and the chaps were demanding money to fix their bike.
These nitwits(mechanics) had borrowed a Yamaha Crux from their showroom, which came in for an exchange and was on a joy ride to show their riding skills on the road.

My cousin was doing a speed of about 40-50 kmph and thats when these retards who were on the left decided to take a steep right turn without evening switching on the indicators.
Screeeeechhhh and Boooooommmm !! There lies the crux like an injured dog and both the dudes went flying off the bike.
The impact left the rear wheel and the petrol tank damaged.

Salutations to the bullet, nothing apart from a slightly bent front mud-guard and a broken spoke.
The mechanics stopped my cousin and demanded 6k for repairs and in no time the owner of the showroom(another retard, who kept saying " Saar Pork bend aagide ") also turned up and was bad mouthing my cousin and his sister.

Now this time around it was my turn , me and my friend drove up there from VasanthNagar and the 1st thing we noticed is that this chap was hurling all sorts of abuses.
1st round of nuke, my friend blasts the **** outta these men. The dude dint give me a chance to speak also.By then the showroom owner realized we meant business and that 1 more word and we would break his teeth.(Yes we almost got there)

No way on earth would I want to part with a single penny for their mistake.
The owner dude pretends to be making some calls to some big-shots and that he was gonna fix us. LOL my friend told him take a hike dude.

We called the cops and no sign of them for about 10 mins. Decided to head to the police station and now the showroom owner is on his heels.
Coz I overheard him speak to the mechanics saying just last week I got you guys outta **** and this time again its the same story. I wont pay a single penny for this and blah blah !!!

Went to the police station and all is well.Cops for the 1st time (in my experience) was sensible in Bangalore.Was surprised with their response and reaction.
The bike in question(crux) was exchanged for a Frazer and the insurance was still in the previous owners name. Guy riding the bike dint have a license(our blessing in disguise) and the cops on our side.

My friends dad who is a cop came over and then we finally settled the issue.We were asked to pay 1k for their medical expenses . I tried reasoning and my cousin said let go off it, thank god these imbeciles dint hit the grave.
End of the day we paid for no mistake of ours. Thanks to the law here.
Quote:
Infact half of the people in bangalore dont use indicators. They just turn.
I completely agree Vikram.Be it bikers or drivers all are a set of buffoons who have no road sense and rarely follow traffic rules..aarrrggghhh .

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 12th May 2007 at 22:55.
Old 12th May 2007, 23:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Riju,

Glad to hear your cousin getting his just. If I were him, in response to the "Saar Pork bend aagide " I'd give "Nindanna eega bend maadtheeni" . All's well that end's well anyway. Sorry that you couldnt make it the informal get-together.
Old 12th May 2007, 23:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Yes. Indicators are meant to be used by vehicle drivers AFTER turning
hahaha... reminds me of this friend of mine and his kiney, everytime I was following him someplace. He used to take sudden turns and then put on the indicator, while I would have well crossed the intersection and had to push my bike back grumbling. I learnt my lesson soon and kept well behind the kiney henceforth.
Old 13th May 2007, 14:56   #9
BHPian

In fact I had an experience recently in Blore, where near a busy junction, one bike who came too close to the left side of my car, just moved ahead and suddenly turned to right. My car which was going straight, hit his back side and he fell down right in the centre of the junction. He was so furious and argued that "cant I see that he had put the right turn indicator?".

How the hell would I see the right indicator of a bike who is cms away from my car on the left side and suddenly swerving right in front. That too he had them only on the back side which is fitted too low for my line of sight. He tried to create a seen in the middle of the road, but luckily there was a cop nearby and he saved me.
Old 13th May 2007, 15:05   #10
BHPian

I have seen also cases of the other extreme where guys, mostly bus/trucks, use indicators for each and everything, without any reason, like putting on right indicators to allow overtaking, left indicator while overtaking even when the lane ahead is clear and warning/breakdown indicators for going straight !! :O

Last edited by appuchan : 13th May 2007 at 15:09.
Old 14th May 2007, 00:35   #11
Team-BHP Support

appuchan that indicator thing for overtaking is a bit complex... I think when they do not want you to overtake for some reason they turn on that right indicator (or is it left!). And truckers use that as a regular sign. Its very well established and effective as well. IMO, with those huge trucks the visibility ahead for the one following behind is very less. Hence those indicators come handy.

About going straight and using the hazards... well thats something even smaller vehicles do. It has more to do with busy intersections where the traffic is a bit unruly. One cabbie once explained it thus, at some signals vehicles are all going bonkers rushing through from left right and center. The hazards are an indication to anyone following that do not try any smart stunt because I may not be able to take evasive action. Beware. Don't know though how effective that thing is what with the crazy people who care a zilch about the road rules anyhow.
Old 14th May 2007, 08:56   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Appuchan, like Zappo said, it is a bit complex to start explaining it. But once you get the hang of it, it is quite simple & effective. Come to think of it, the trucker's signalling if often more reliable than that of a biker who cuts from extreme left to extreme right expecting his puny almost-invisible-in-the-day indicator flashes to give him complete right-of-way for his ant-brained manouvre.

Check this out:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...vertaking.html
Old 14th May 2007, 09:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

Condor, for you godfather and all truck owners I doubt this happens as the 2 wheelers must be fearing for life seeing the trucks on their side.

driving a truck really helps in bangalore traffic as i have seen, other motorists like call centre cabs and office buses all treat you with some respect. It's actually easier driving a Safari/sumo in traffic as noone comes close.
Old 14th May 2007, 09:08   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Condor, for you godfather and all truck owners I doubt this happens as the 2 wheelers must be fearing for life seeing the trucks on their side.

driving a truck really helps in bangalore traffic as i have seen, other motorists like call centre cabs and office buses all treat you with some respect. It's actually easier driving a Safari/sumo in traffic as noone comes close.

I second, third and fourth that. All truck drivers are exempt from this - a poring out of the normal meek vehicle users of Bangalore.

Truck Drivers - start a new thread if you like abt techniques you use to mow down those "pesky" bikes, ricks and anything under 1 ton. We'll benefit from it
Old 14th May 2007, 14:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Appuchan, like Zappo said, it is a bit complex to start explaining it. But once you get the hang of it, it is quite simple & effective. Come to think of it, the trucker's signalling if often more reliable than ...
Well one of my colleague narrowly escaped death because of this signalling method of trucks. The truck had put a right indicator in an open high way while he was moving in the middle lane. My friend, who was driving a brand new Ikon went ahead to the right side of the truck, thinking he is giving a go ahead. To his utter horror the truck suddenly turned right ! His car banged into his diesel tank was completely damaged. Luckily it didnt burst. But his car was totalled and he had to claim whatever was available from Insurance people.

So I dont think its a good idea to use same signal for different conflicting purpose. And we have no way to know whats in the mind of those truckers.

Last edited by appuchan : 14th May 2007 at 14:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks