Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 12:55   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Disgusting is the word that comes to my mind.
Not much different from a barbaric society.
Welcome to India, we ARE a barbaric society since we don't have effective police force. Ever tried to get help from the Police to take action on a traffic law breaker? I have tried it lots of times, each time I was left disgusted both by the traffic offender and the police.

Few months back my GV which was correctly parked was blocked by a double parked WagonR. After waiting with the family (with kids) for 20 minutes, I went about to get a traffic cop to take action. He came very reluctantly and slowly like a pregnant woman. And then he stood there and asked me to make enquiries about the vehicle in nearby shops. He did nothing. I eventually found out it belonged to visitor to one of the houses. The WagonR owner comes out and claims he had parked it only 5 minutes back, while I have been awaiting around for 40 minutes by now. I almost lost it when he started lying in front of the cop, even the cop was there for 10-15 minutes by then. But the cop stood there mute, totally impotent, while I did all the talking. When the WagonR was finally removed and I was removing the GV, the cop was giving me meaningful look hoping to get some money. I just ignored the looks and left the place. This is state of affairs now, police do nothing, they just try to make money from every possible situation.
Old 18th February 2009, 13:59   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
BUT the enthusiastic and encouraging responses of the ppl on this board.
Some of who are moderators.
They weren't moderators when they posted that stuff. So chill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Welcome to India, we ARE a barbaric society since we don't have effective police force. Ever tried to get help from the Police to take action on a traffic law breaker? I have tried it lots of times, each time I was left disgusted both by the traffic offender and the police.
While I agree on that barbaric society part, I have had some pleasant experiences with COPS, so not all of them cane be bad. Here's a couple of threads of mine where cops have done a great job.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...xperience.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...xperience.html
Old 18th February 2009, 14:34   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Few months back my GV which was correctly parked was blocked by a double parked WagonR. After waiting with the family (with kids) for 20 minutes, I went about to get a traffic cop to take action. He came very reluctantly and slowly like a pregnant woman. And then he stood there and asked me to make enquiries about the vehicle in nearby shops. He did nothing. I eventually found out it belonged to visitor to one of the houses. The WagonR owner comes out and claims he had parked it only 5 minutes back, while I have been awaiting around for 40 minutes by now. I almost lost it when he started lying in front of the cop, even the cop was there for 10-15 minutes by then. But the cop stood there mute, totally impotent, while I did all the talking. When the WagonR was finally removed and I was removing the GV, the cop was giving me meaningful look hoping to get some money. I just ignored the looks and left the place. This is state of affairs now, police do nothing, they just try to make money from every possible situation.
Point totally understood.
Infact, I am one of those who may advocate use of force/taking law into hands when it is a matter concerning threat to life and limb.

However, car parking is no such matter.
And in this case the bus-wallah tried to play the perfect "judge bhi mai hi, jallad bhi mai hi" role, with a healthy audience encouraging his acts.

Even I have faced innumerable instances of irritation/anguish on parking matters. Many times because of stupid P1/P2 parking rules in the whole of Pune. But just imagine someone driving a bus thru your vehicle, for whatever reasons you may have parked it wrongly...
Old 18th February 2009, 14:44   #79
BHPian

you know it only takes 4 or 5 able bodied people to lift a alto and move it to the side
all that was needed was for a few from the 200 odd people there to lift the car and move it to the side
Old 18th February 2009, 15:01   #80
Senior - BHPian

When people don't bother about traffic rules and care a damn for other road users, they don't deserve to drive.
Old 18th February 2009, 15:13   #81
BHPian

I dont think he should have wrecked the car, but I understand!
Old 18th February 2009, 15:21   #82
Team-BHP Support

The truth is most Indian drivers are not aware of most of the rules. I see it around me all the time, people simply aim their vehicle and go. I get dirty looks in my town when I follow rules, they think I am doing something wrong.

For example, yielding, right of way, parking parking or engine braking is not taught in most driving schools, it is not even mentioned to the students. My wife often gets the looks when she is parallel parking, and they get amazed when she parks perfectly parallel very close to the curb at the end.
Old 18th February 2009, 15:29   #83
Team-BHP Support

Last week I was buying some medicines from Mor at Basher Bahg.

This idiot parks his white Indica behind the parking slots.
So effectively blocks 2 cars including mine which are parked correctly.
There are a lot of other slots available.

He is inside the pharmacy when a girl from that car comes and tells him to move as someone is honking.
He goes moves it and comes back.
The car is still not inside the slots but blocking two other slots now.

I get back to my and am in a rush so don't want an extended argument.
He is in his car now.

I roll my windows down and indicate him to do the same.

Congratulate him on effectively blocking the slots.
He answers "Koi baat nahi" no problem in that.

I tell him "khuda kare aapka janaza traffic main phasa rahe". "may god block your funeral in traffic".

Look on his face priceless. But he still did not get it.
Old 18th February 2009, 15:34   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
When people don't bother about traffic rules and care a damn for other road users, they don't deserve to drive.
Then more than half of the motorists in India will be off the road! Stricter Law Enforcements according me is the only solution. Human beings evolve over time and on the whole are very self-centred in the evolving sense (some even after it - Our Indian Politicians) - We won't really adhere to rules unless forced to. Once we are forced, it then becomes a habit amongst most of us. There will still be people who will try to break the law - but with consistent enforcement their numbers will dwindle.

That's the reason why most of the Western Countries don't have such niggling issues (There will always be some people who will break the law - everywhere in the World).

Most of us (Motorists) are still in the evolving stage in India and until the law is not enforced such instances will keep on happening. I agree that Law enforcement in India is an utter disgrace with the corrupt leaders of our country leading from the front. But we can and I believe (have to) still play our part in changing the circumstances.

I still believe the future looks positive. We have 30000 members and Thousands of surfers on TBHP today, so atleast more than half(maybe 30K including non-members) of us stick to the rules and learn more and more about Traffic sense and management with the numerous threads here. And these 30k people talk about their learning to other non-members (Family, Friends, Drivers etc.) as well. So the change would come, although it will take time. What we do need to ensure is we share our knowledge with as many people as possible so even they can learn and have knowledge of the positives of having a Good Traffic Sense.
Old 18th February 2009, 15:51   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
you know it only takes 4 or 5 able bodied people to lift a alto and move it to the side
all that was needed was for a few from the 200 odd people there to lift the car and move it to the side

Lift and keep it on foot path? am sure he would have parked on the left but the road is narrow and the traffic would have piled up on both the sides, so only the option was to keep it on footpath i,e if their was one...

2nd option was to break the window pane and get the hand brake off so that they could push it...

3rd option is get the tow truck(tiger) and get the car towed away but since the traffic has piled up i dont see how the truck can reach the place.
Old 21st February 2009, 11:42   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Few months back my GV which was correctly parked was blocked by a double parked WagonR. After waiting with the family (with kids) for 20 minutes, I went about to get a traffic cop to take action. He came very reluctantly and slowly like a pregnant woman. And then he stood there and asked me to make enquiries about the vehicle in nearby shops. He did nothing. I eventually found out it belonged to visitor to one of the houses. The WagonR owner comes out and claims he had parked it only 5 minutes back, while I have been awaiting around for 40 minutes by now. I almost lost it when he started lying in front of the cop, even the cop was there for 10-15 minutes by then. But the cop stood there mute, totally impotent, while I did all the talking.
I found photos of this incident in my mobile phone. Notice how the stupid driver had parked his ride behind my properly parked GV.

Car in the middle of the road totalled by Bus-imag0017.jpg

Car in the middle of the road totalled by Bus-imag0018.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks