Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2007, 12:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
In a nation of a billion people, I believe we hardly attach any value to a human life till the time it is one of our own. Apologies for the emotional outburst if I offended anyone..
absolutely. We are extremely good in passing judgements over who was right or wrong, but give a damn about the dead person or his family. God knows when that would change.
Old 16th May 2007, 12:35   #17
Team-BHP Support

Well done, Manson!
I remember, many years ago, a Maruti 800 that I was driving conked on the Bandra Flyover in the extreme right lane due some problem with the electricals. A BEST bus was right behind me and I must say the driver was quite a gentleman. He did honk a bit, but, the moment he sensed my car had conked out, he quit. The incline was pretty steep. He requested a standee from his bus to help me push the car. The man obliged. A military truck was following the bus. A jawan stepped out and helped me out too. Before these two gentlemen came to my rescue, a wisecrack on a scooter passed by saying, "Gaadi band hua hai to side me lagao." - Spirit of Mumbai!
In turn, I've myself helped an old lady with a broken down Ford Ikon and another man with two little children in a Baleno with a bad battery.
Old 16th May 2007, 12:44   #18
BHPian

For me, it depends upon my mood definitely.
If i am not too much pissed off on road, I would definitely help the needy.
But everytime, I see a broken down vehicle even if I dont help, I make sure I dont trouble or shout at them.
Old 16th May 2007, 14:03   #19
BHPian

Good work. I have been in a situation like this once in Bangalore in my Esteem (at 12 noon in April) and I had to push it to the side myself. People didnt come out to help, which I can understand, but they didnt honk and irritate.

Another incident: Before Victoria in Bangalore was demolished for that swanky mall, we used to go for Sunday brunch there. Once there was this chap whose car stalled right at the gate (blocking everyone). He was trying to crank, and this chap comes behind him and starts honking. Everybody in the restaurant is getting irritated. Some people are helping him move the car. The honker continues. The first chap gets out of the car and walks to the guy behind:

"Hi, see, my car stalled. I have been trying to start the engine. Why dont you give it a try? I will sit in your car and honk"

Last edited by determinus : 16th May 2007 at 14:04.
Old 16th May 2007, 14:13   #20
Team-BHP Support

In Pune on the busy nal stop junction my Zen stalled due to a faulty fuel pump relay. While I was attempting to push the car to one side a traffic cop came and asked me for my license and I gave him a piece of my mind instead. He apologized saying he thought I didn't know how to drive which is the reason why the car was jerking and I was pushing the car.
Old 16th May 2007, 14:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Good that you helped them out Manson.

I can quote this incident which happened to me a few months ago at Denver, CO. I was about to return my rental at the airport. I had to catch a flight to SFO and I had a connecting flight from SFO to Singapore and back to Bangalore from Singapore. I was driving on I25 and was about to take an exit to I470 to the airport when my rental had a front left tire burst. This being a short visit to the US, I had not bothered to activate my mobile there. So, I was stuck at the highway with a car with flat tire and no cell and with a flight to catch. Thankfully, an American couple stopped their car and helped me to change the tire. I still think of that and I really think of how much of an inconvenience people will be put into when they are stranded like that. At least from then on, I have decided that I will try and help someone in such a situation.
Old 16th May 2007, 14:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Manson, for me the spirit is still alive. In you. Why should it always be someone else who should have helped someone. I am sure the people who got help will try to pass it on.
Old 16th May 2007, 16:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
but seriously we're talking bandra, S.V. Road 9.15 pm, mostly Educated people getting back from work.
"Education" is more than a bunch of degrees which get you a fancy job. Educated does not mean enlightened.

You'd probably have got help in Dharavi.
Old 16th May 2007, 20:54   #24
BHPian

In my own driving experience, I have seen lots of courteous road users who try and help. It could be simple things like pointing out about driving with lights on in the daylight or other such stuff..

But overall road users' patience is very low and honking is extremely irritating and dangerous - we hear so much useless honking that we are conditioned to more or less ignore it or take it easy.

Barbaric road users call for barbaric punishments. I get angry whenever I see vehicles starting to honk madly the minute traffic signal turns orange. As if the guys in front of you are planning to have a picnic and have no intention of moving. Worse if someone has starting trouble. He will be blasted off the street. These are the drivers that go and kill people causing 90,000 deaths a year in road accidents.

Simple solution - a policeman should stand with a thick log at main traffic lights. If someone honks needlessly before the signal turns green, his right hand should be beaten to pulp. Do this for 100 days in top 10 cities, I tell you we can straightaway save 10,000 lives or more a year. It is not as if our policemen are not used to violence - they do that with petty vendors and assorted poor on a daily basis. Educated savages need to be treated as such.
Old 16th May 2007, 22:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
In Pune on the busy nal stop junction my Zen stalled due to a faulty fuel pump relay. While I was attempting to push the car to one side a traffic cop came and asked me for my license and I gave him a piece of my mind instead. He apologized saying he thought I didn't know how to drive which is the reason why the car was jerking and I was pushing the car.
And people didnt honk? Pune is much more self centred than Mumbai. The educated class more so.
I was once driving the old 800 along the same road, and at the Nal Stop signal (opposite Telephone Exchange), my car started producing fumes from the hood. In the peak of monsoons.
I got down and started pushing/steering the car out of the way of the absolutely mad traffic. Lots of glares and curses were flying my way. Along with the usual "Chalane nahi ati to car kharidte kyun hain?".
But then, a waste disposal truck's helper jumped down from his cab,in the middle of traffic, and not only did he help me push the vehicle out of the way, but also produced a bottle of water which we used to refill the radiator for the time being.

I have to admit I havent helped too many people push their stalled vehicles out of their way. But I will make it a point henceforth, if I do come across anyone.
Old 16th May 2007, 22:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
.Simple solution - a policeman should stand with a thick log at main traffic lights. If someone honks needlessly before the signal turns green, his right hand should be beaten to pulp. Do this for 100 days in top 10 cities, I tell you we can straightaway save 10,000 lives or more a year. It is not as if our policemen are not used to violence - they do that with petty vendors and assorted poor on a daily basis. Educated savages need to be treated as such.

Well said, these are the most dangerous people on road....they are addicted to honking
Old 16th May 2007, 22:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

why not simply offer the HORN as an optional accessory while buying a car ? It should cost 10000 bucks and be RTO approved. People who opt for it should pay the full amount upfront as deposit and undergo undergo a driving test for 3 months where they will be asked to drive through the most pathetic roads in the city without honking - if they fail , the 10000 bucks is non refundable !
Old 17th May 2007, 01:02   #28
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
why not simply offer the HORN as an optional accessory while buying a car ? It should cost 10000 bucks and be RTO approved. People who opt for it should pay the full amount upfront as deposit and undergo undergo a driving test for 3 months where they will be asked to drive through the most pathetic roads in the city without honking - if they fail , the 10000 bucks is non refundable !
unfortunately, it is also the biggest safety device in our country. Sad but true
Old 17th May 2007, 01:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Personally, in the long run I would expect authorities to tackle this kind of scenarios.

the SPIRIT is fine when we are talking about remote areas with no immediate help available (even then it opens doors to a lot of crooks our on their business), but as u mentioned on a busy bandra road, I would rather expect somebody responsible to maintain the traffic (unfortunately it has to be a cop), than the educated office goers.

I am talking about "in long run", hopefully someday we will have a better governance.
Old 17th May 2007, 06:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
But then, a waste disposal truck's helper jumped down from his cab,in the middle of traffic, and not only did he help me push the vehicle out of the way, but also produced a bottle of water which we used to refill the radiator for the time being.
I am not surprised at all. The amount of civilised behaviour and public spiritedness we see amongst the lower end workers and such folks is amazing. These guys lives are miserable, and yet they often bring a lot of happiness to others through simple acts.

Exact opposite is the behaviour of the typical 'badralok'.

I once fell down riding a scooter on the highway beause it skidded on the sandy soil. Was not injured as my speed was low, the car traffic went on as if nothing happened, but a truck with a few workers stopped to enquire if I was ok.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks