Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2007, 13:36   #1
BHPian

Scorpio meets Sumo

Last sunday while i was driving down from alleppey to cochin through NH47 in my scorpio, had an accident with a Sumo which was my first experience in the past 18 years. It is a straight stretch and i was cruising in around 70-80 kmph since its a busy road with two wheelers and i saw a sumo taking a right turn from the highway by putting the indicator and there was no vehicle opposite. suddenly he took a 360 degree turn and came in front of me & was very much inside the stopping distance of my car. I tried hand brake also while braking but it was a perpendicular hit in his left B-Pillar. 6 got injured in the SUMO and one almost lost his ear. there was also a pregnant lady in the Sumo. People took them to hospital immediatley and when they came looking for the passengers in scorpio, they couldnt find anyone as i was standing outside. No one could believe, including the police that i was driving that car. A SEAT BELT & GOD SAVED ME FROM THE WORST. later on i came to know that they saw a hotel on the left side of the road while passing and took the turn to park in front of it. By Gods grace there was no fatal injuries and they all discharged from hospital the next day itself except one who required a surgery in his ear.

My point is, the major reason for an accident is not the roads nor the vehicle. but just carelessness, ignorance and immaturity of the driver. It could have deserted so many families including mine.

Pls. do spread the message to wear a seat belt while driving and it saved my life once and it can save yours too.
mansidea is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2007, 14:25   #2
BHPian

Hi Mansidea

Good to know everyone walked out safe..
yes it is true Seat belts saves life..
it should be tought from the day one.. when anybody starts to learn driving, in that way they will be more used to it and always wear seat belts

got any pics of the incident?
Old 17th May 2007, 14:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mansidea, That was unfortunate and good to know that u r unhurt and totally safe...U r right, there are many drivers who doesnt have that driving sense....They need to develop that before taking the highway...

BTW, SeatBelts saved the day...

Anyway, Drive safe

Abhi
Old 17th May 2007, 14:36   #4
BHPian

Well nice to know that everybody is safe & sound.

Yes seat belt saves life, as a matter of fact a dummy in front seat without seat belt can be thrown out of windshield at just 50kmph front impact test.

Worst, rear pessegers not wearing seat belts can impart fatal injury to front occupants with seat belts on & to themselves ofcourse.
Old 17th May 2007, 14:51   #5
BHPian

Thnx Mr.Bangalore. No pics from the scene. will post a pic from the service centre.
Old 17th May 2007, 15:06   #6
Team-BHP Support

sad to hear and hope you are fine, indian highways are filled with people doing all this. they use the highways just like any other road, carelessness and impulsive action like these are the biggest cause.
Old 17th May 2007, 15:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hope from now SUMO driver does not surprise anyone with his foolish moves in the middle of the road.

Frustrating thing is people laughing at you, when you insist on wearing seat belts, not to travel on wrong side of the road, slow down at congested junctions etc. Also they will proudly say " I had crossed the junction at same speed. Iam sure if some one walks in, I will be able to control the vehicle".

These guys will never learn the meaning of the word "accident" until they get involved with it.

Last edited by Surprise : 17th May 2007 at 15:10.
Old 17th May 2007, 15:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey bro' is this the stretch between Chertalla and Thuravoor?
If yes this is the exact same place(near KVM hospital) where I lost 2 relatives .
Quote:
SEAT BELT & GOD SAVED ME FROM THE WORST
The key is right there SEAT BELT . Good to know that you came thru unscathed.
Old 17th May 2007, 16:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey ... good to know that you are safe!....btw i had many clsoe shaves while i was driving to kasargod last week....mostly transport vehicles poping up suddenly on the hiway.....no signal nothing.....autos....vans.. buses....was painful... dont know when these morons will get some brains....and irony of the story is that the people whose profession is driving is who always do these kinda mistakes.... dont know why though!
Old 17th May 2007, 17:34   #10
BHPian

Mansidea - good to know you're safe.

However I havent understood what the problem was. The Sumo guy did a 360 because he took a sudden right turn, and lost control and did a full turn is it?

And because of the turn, he came into your path?

I'm sorry but i dont seem to be able to visualize it.

Superavi
Old 17th May 2007, 18:34   #11
BHPian

Mansidea, thank god you are safe.
Goon on you mate for wearing a seat belt. The world is full of fools who will do all sorts of crazy things, we can do our part by playing safe.

Sorry about the car, but its materialistic, can be fixed.
Old 18th May 2007, 11:27   #12
BHPian

Thanks guys.

rjstyles69: yes its the same stretch near to KVM but between cherthala and alleppey.

Superavi : Sorry for the poor narration. sumo was travelling in the same direction as i am. While passing they saw a hotel on the left side of the road but they passed it by the time. He slowed & took a full circle by putting the right indicator in the middle of the highway to get into the hotel which they just passed. He, turning to right was expected due to the indicator, but taking a circle, by turning again to his right was not expected.
Old 18th May 2007, 14:59   #13
BHPian

mansidea - got it now.

I'm now really glad you're safe. I hope the Scorpio gets fine too. and i hope the courts try that Sumo driver!

Superavi
Old 18th May 2007, 15:19   #14
BHPian

OMG its the only stretch where i used to take the car above 80kmph.very nice road and also 4 lane.after reading your experience i am frightened.

Really glad to know you are safe...
Hey guys make sure that both the front passengers are using seat belts before driving.i always force the person in my co-driver sear to wear the seatbelt even if he doesn like wearing,
Old 18th May 2007, 15:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Installing speed breakers isnt a solution here. More-so needs to be mature and careful driving on this stretch.

If my memory serves me right , there is also a blind curve somewhere around the same place which is accident prone.

I dont think there has been a single day witout an accident here. The last time I was in Kerala my uncle had stories of accidents to narrarte on this very stretch on a daily basis .

Why only this stretch ? The road heads all the way to Aroor and the last time I witnessed a truck(canter) overturn rite at the thuravoor junction and killing an innocent by-stander.

Most Viewed