Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2007, 20:19   #31
BHPian

I think I have a way which works around this problem, and this problem ain't specific to Bangalore. I have driven around enough to realize that a long time ago.

1) Stop car, immediately put on your most serious face.
2) Do not answer any questions, or open the gas tank lid immediately.
3) Take your time, open the lid.
4) Walk out to the dispenser.
5) Take care not to mention what you want even now.
6) Now in your most serious voice, tell attendant what you want, and how much.
7) Never smile, or pick up a conversation until the filling is done, and dispenser goes back in its slot, and of course, you note quantity and amount.

Complicated? All worth it considering how much gas costs these days.
Old 18th May 2007, 20:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Carry baseball bat. And Zippo. Then no one will mess with you.
Old 18th May 2007, 20:57   #33
BANNED

@v1p3r: I visit SHELL on Old Madras Road but i stay on airport road. Anyways the point of my post has been missed.
Old 18th May 2007, 21:31   #34
BHPian

Aren't there any self-service petrol bunks in Banglore and other places? There were couple of them in Hyderbad back in 2000 itself (BP I guess). I always used to go there as it dispenses the correct amount of Oil mixed with petrol and I don't have to fight with the attendant to put the full 50 ml of Oil.
Old 18th May 2007, 21:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Eh, no, I didn't miss your point. This city is going to the dogs alright. Even Rudra says so in his intro. Just that there's a nicer way to put it. God knows we need nicer things, even if it's just semantics.

My suggestion: learn a few words of Kannada, mainly insults and abuses. Works wonders when you threaten the attendants.
Old 19th May 2007, 01:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
My suggestion: learn a few words of Kannada, mainly insults and abuses. Works wonders when you threaten the attendants.
Now, that is one I am good at(mallu here, not a kannadiga), and works wonders not only with gas station attendants, but also almost every other irritant you find in Bangalore.
Old 19th May 2007, 09:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

I had experiancied this with HP and BP folks, I was cheated once with the same trick, I realized after I started my bike (looking at fuel guage) and decided to keep an eye next time, I was in impression that HP fuel is the best and the same thing happened after few days at the same pump and I caught him this time. He stopped filling after 20% and asked me again,, I told him not to fill anymore and lets have a check whether he really filled that 20%, my tank was almost empty and we had a check and there was nothing in it even after the figure shows that guy filled 20%. 2-3 attendent where there and they completely covered the one who was filling. Thye set it to zero and filled complete petrol again. I use Shell since then for my car and bike both.
Old 20th May 2007, 23:56   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Fully agree with u Benny, infact this pumps are helping Shell to become more and mroe popular....I travel 6km (to and fro) just for Shell...

Abhi
Maybe shell is bribing these attendants to do this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
But seriously, Dont they get that they will lose their customers who almost frequent it atleast 10 times a month?
Not if your bunks are all over the city & the other bunks are just in a few places. Unless there are shell, reliance & whatnots within the city & available in most places, they will not change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
I literally jumped out of the car and shouted STOP!
and when the filler guy looked up, I said the meter stood at 300 and he didn't reset it....
Guess his immediate response? No Saar, only 200/-

That was a good one. Whenever i was being duped like this, i maintain my calm & say that i will only pay for what you filled. Take it or leave it, lets escalate this problem.
Old 21st May 2007, 07:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

how about a protest ride/drive with a a list of common malpractices listed, signed by a 1000 people, and submitted to fuel company regional heads. Also give Shell an open letter of appreciation for honesty (so far) to encourage them to keep it up. Could even try roping in consumer activist orgs.
Old 21st May 2007, 08:36   #40
BHPian

Advaita is pretty close by...but after I have discovered..Shell...I dont mind visting the crowded Hosur road or the Mysore road..
Shell is the solution...
The level of service is way better and the quality of fuel is amazing!!!
Forget these stupid bunks..head to Shell
Old 21st May 2007, 08:46   #41
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday, went to Shell to fill up - full tank

For some reason, the autostop did not work and fuel came spraying out. The attendant took the initiative to knock 1 litre from the bill and told his supervisor - no ceremony and bureaucracy.

Greaat empowerment and customer service
Old 21st May 2007, 08:53   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Yesterday, went to Shell to fill up - full tank

For some reason, the autostop did not work and fuel came spraying out. The attendant took the initiative to knock 1 litre from the bill and told his supervisor - no ceremony and bureaucracy.

Greaat empowerment and customer service
yup same thing happened to me other day. got 3 litres knocked off the bill even though i told him 2litres.

Registered a complaint for the air filling nozzle. it had become old and air would leak out of it and each tyre would take a long time filling which led to long queue.
Next day they have a new nozzle.

Also noticed one thing. their air fill on the right for the cars is not correct. it fills in 3psi more. i fill 30psi got it checked few days later from the air fill on the left for 2 wheelers and it shows 33psi. then went to shell on hosur road and even there it was 33psi.
Old 21st May 2007, 09:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar experience at the IOC bunk at KR Puram a coupleof months back- the 800 vs 1000 thing. Luckily for me I caught on to the scam and started blasting the guy. however, the attendant was quite belligerent and insisted that he had filled in 1000 bucks worth of fuel. At that point I just lost it and went into my car and took out a baseball bat that I always carry and threatened to split his head into two if he continued with this charade. Promptly, I had the extra two hundred bucks of fuel dispensed- Guess it pays to be a six foot punjabi guy with a baseball bat and a menacing demeanour in Bangalore

also, the fact that in my two years in bangalore, I have picked up a fair amount of Kannada , esp the swear words, helps!

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 21st May 2007 at 09:18.
Old 21st May 2007, 09:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

There's an old adage. "If we are cheated once, shame on them, if we are cheated twice, shame on Us."

I don't go to IOC Indiranagar often. Once or twice, but haven't had a problem (or maybe didn't notice, don't think so). Anyways, I'll add that to the bad bunks list.
Old 21st May 2007, 09:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

This is happening everywhere..

If you are not alert, they will take you for a ride for sure.

Another thing that we need to be aware is, if a person ahead of you fills petrol for say 200 and then you say 2000, they may start refueling without resetting it to zero.(there will be another attendent for your distraction, asking cash or card etc)

They did this to me once in HP petrol pump CV Raman nagar(near bagmane tech park) and i blasted that person left and right..

But i still see them trying to do it on innocent customers.(girls especially)

Be careful ppl.

Most Viewed