Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Old 12th October 2021, 11:16   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Gadkari wants to increase speed limits on expressways to 140 kmph, Bill soon

It’s interesting as we are yet to deal with the proper licensing of drivers and the adherence to traffic rules. Increasing speed limits where the infra is good is a welcome move but to deal with the ignorant/illiterate (educated but yet illiterate) driver is more of a trouble.

People don’t seem to pay heed to usage of indicators (for example) and any changes in lane, say a 140 car crossing a 100 car would be disastrous, if there is a side swipe.

So, I feel it would be more prudent to improve the driving licence/education qualification of all drivers first and then followed by these enhancements.

It’s high time that all licence issuing practice are reviewed across the country and there should be gradual upgrade from cubic capacity driving capability of the driver as well.

Till then, cautious driving everyone!
KapilD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 11:21   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Gadkari wants to increase speed limits on expressways to 140 kmph, Bill soon

This is welcome move. But the existing 120 kph speed limit is not the main constraint to rapid transit between our cities, it is the trucks. They are the greatest impediment to increasing average speeds on our highways. You have exactly 50% of the trucks wanting to use the fast lane and the other 50% wanting to use the slow lane. This makes it even more irritating and slows down overall traffic flow and average speed of transit considerably.

Before the 140 KPH speed limit is implemented, there should be a strict rule with penalties to prevent trucks from using the fast lane unless overtaking another slow moving vehicle. There have to be periodic cameras that catch the images of trucks or some sensor based solution that ensures that trucks predominantly occupying the fast lane despite very slow speed, should be charged double the toll at the next plaza. Once a technological solution is found to teach these truckers a lesson - these utterly insensitive folks people who have no feelings of remorse for slowing down everyone else on the road and probably wasting 20-30% aggregate fuel for slowdowns and speedups by passenger cars - the average speeds on our highways will go up automatically in a dramatic way, even with the current 120 KPH speed limit.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th October 2021 at 11:24.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 11:35   #48
BHPian

I dont know if Mr Gadkari has seen the way slow moving long vehicles take up road space and usually are found on the right lane.Also the wrong side drivers and animals on the road. Unless the highways have dedicated lanes for slow traffic with strict penalties for violators and access restriction for locals who use the highways as their side streets and drive everywhere. Increase in speed limits is a recipe for disaster.
clementw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 11:43   #49

Increase in speed limit has to go hand in hand with lane discipline without which it will be a disaster. Top speed is not relevant but more important is average speed maintainable from point A to B. This can happen only with better signage/markings/infrastructure & discipline.
Old 12th October 2021, 11:57   #50
BHPian

My understanding is that India, rather we Indians, aren't ready for such high speed driving irrespective of how good infrastructure is. It's a cultural shift to drive safely at those speeds which takes its own sweet time at the ground. Even then at a bare minimum, we need strong and honest regulation for such high speed corridors.

As earlier mentioned, what we need is better average speeds rather than top whacks. And this needs an ecosystem of which good roads are one part of. The line of thought at a high level isn't wrong. Faster networking of the country has the multiplier effect on economy but this shouldn't come at the cost of human lives and an ecosystem warranting a big overhaul.

We should start with 100kmph and every 10kmph increase in top whacks should be supported by quantified data like traffic density etc.

Last edited by headbanger : 12th October 2021 at 11:58.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 12:09   #51

It boils down to the behaviors of the drivers on our roads much more than the capability of the roads themselves or the vehicles plying on them. There is nothing that I see on our roads today that inspires the confidence that we will be able to justify these speeds.

- As a %, the number of vehicles plying on the roads are largely old gen
- Jaywalking (hominid and non hominid species) is a major challenge which renders even the superior capabilities of new gen cars, moot
- For every responsible 'enthusiast' driving a vehicle capable of high speeds and capable safety components, there are maniacs manifold driving poorly equipped cars for which policing and enforcement is poor
- Poor provision of driving credentials for many drivers resulting in poor knowledge of driving in general

This is a bad move in light of existing conditions and behaviors.
Arun Varma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 12:38   #52
BHPian

It's highly likely that the courts will never approve this move.

While speed isn't the primary reason always for accidents to happen, it does play a role in determining the fatality and outcomes. Other factors tend to play an important role also such as the condition of the roads, traffic density, alcohol consumption and the geographical characteristics (example hilly or plain).

We can only afford to increase the speed limit when disciplined driving starts happening at large. All vehicles driving at 120 kmph in proper lanes is safer than vehicles running at 80-100 kmph in whatever lane under influence of substances. So not just expressways, but there needs to be a lot more emphasis on training drivers including those who already have a driving license
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 13:45   #53
BHPian

I support this move since we regularly see vehicles being driven at speeds in excess of 140 kmph even when the speed limit was 90kmph. Might as well legalize the speed.

Basics of driving such as obeying traffic rules and recognizing the right of other people driving on the road is not in the hands of Gadkari or any other minister. We all know what happens if you get caught and the easiest means to escape a ticket.

So until we the people develop a basic civic sense, such measures are alright.
Old 12th October 2021, 15:25   #54
BHPian

Day before yesterday was driving between Mapusa, Goa to Kudal, Maharashtra.
The speed limit is 80 kmph at most places except for the diversions.

This road tarmac was smooth till last year and now patches and craters have emerged. If I drive steadily at 80 kmph there is no way I can slow down that quick while going over a crater with cars following me.

Also the unfinished and unlit highway with constant oncoming cars' high-beams put a strain on my head at night.

Driving on the same road last year during daylight was such a delight!

My point is, if the speed limit is to be increased, the roads SHOULD be consistent in their quality. It cannot be all smooth and suddenly a big crater or unmarked speed breakers (yes the Mumbai - Goa highway has them unmarked!) give you a heart attack.

With that being said, I see some people driving at greater speed (say 100+) than the limit to overtake cars driving at the speed limit (80 kmph); not the occasional overtake, the zig zag kind of madness. So when the other cars are driving at 140+ I can only imagine the zig-zaggers going bonkers!

We need: Good consistent quality roads which are maintained well, sensible drivers (some only know to drive but cannot figure out high/low beam, indicators, lane discipline) and then the increased speed limit
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 16:02   #55
BHPian

140KMPH! I will love it, but a big 'NO Thanks'. Anything above 60 KMPH requires really disciplined driving and lane manners, look at the fools on Mumbai - Pune Expressway who cut lanes and drive between lanes at triple digit speeds. Trucks suddenly coming from the second lane to the right most lane and cutting you down during an overtaking maneuver. The cars with "DADA', 'MAMA', 'BOSS', 'political party', 'Sarpanch', 'Adhyaksh' name/number plates drive with utter disregards to traffic, discipline imagine them at these speeds. let alone these, we have many new drivers who do not have the skills to drive at such high speed, imagine them being a danger to others at this speed. I am not concerned if whether these ill mannered drivers on the road harm themselves, at these speeds them causing harm to others is great possibility and that's why I think we are not ready for 140Kmph.
ArTigor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 16:08   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Speed limit increase appears to be logical for those who drive cars defensively and safely, for cars with four plus NCAP stars, with proper maintenance.

Appears to be a licence to injure or kill for those who do not drive cars safely, are offensive while driving, their cars have ZERO NCAP rating and these negatives are compounded by improper maintenance.

The latter outnumber the former category in India.

There are commercial vehicles, many of them moving sluggishly or even rashly with overloads of passengers and/or goods. Trucks suffering breakdowns and parked bang on some driving lane, invisible in the dark (without parking lights switched on) have been death traps for the over-speeding cars that have banged into them in several hundreds of instances, in most cases killing its occupants.

Plus the jaywalkers, wild animals, cattle and poultry are not governed either by the Motor Vehicles Act or the Central Motor Vehicles Rules. Hence, these categories are out of Gadkari's control, whatever he may utter to the media or to any official forum.

I would suggest that these policy makers need to camp in tents alongside a German Autobahn for a few months to really understand their traffic conditions, before doing such copy and paste jobs from Western nations here.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th October 2021 at 16:14.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 16:17   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

2022 January

Nitin Gadkari - "We need an Indian Autobahn with no speed limits and car horns playing Arijit Singh songs"

These Babus live in a different world I guess.

80 kmph or 140 kmph, how strictly are these limits followed and how many speed cams are installed in major highways??

I drive extensively on highways daily and I am yet to come past one.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 16:42   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Gadkari wants to increase speed limits on expressways to 140 kmph, Bill soon

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...708101209.html
I have the cars, but Gadkari doesn't have the roads.

And more importantly, Indian "drivers" need way more education, awareness & discipline before they can think of implementing something like this.
BennyA23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 17:02   #59
BHPian

More than this, STRICT enforcement of lane discipline so that the trucks and buses don't drive in anything but the left most lane, is the need of the day. Electronic enforcement of lane discipline so that the idiots driving these "fast" vehicles let others drive sanely instead of forcing everyone else to take risky overtaking maneuvers is needed
akg7091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 17:15   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

What is more important is to improve the average speed on Indian highways and expressways. Constant 120 kmph cruising allows one to travel between Bangalore-Chennai (360 km) in 3 hours of driving compared to the 5-6 it takes today.
Actually Bangalore Chennai takes 4 hours(door to door) at a constant speed between 100-110 via Chittoor.

With better engines, 140 kmph is a sensible limit as others mentioned, even if we cross 2km/h above 100, we are challaned and this is very common on Bangalore-Bombay road.

Most Viewed