Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2021, 14:09   #91
BHPian

Re: Gadkari wants to increase speed limits on expressways to 140 kmph, Bill soon

Guess we have to repeat
"Speed limit is the Maximum limit, not the minimum limit ".
"Expressways does not mean all roads with tar/bitumen".
before commenting. For crying out loud, we only have 7 declared expressways and a handfull of stretches declared as expressways.

I am from Chennai and travel a lot in the Chennai-Madurai(AH38)-Kanyakumari(NH7) highway, the Chennai-Bangalore(NH46/48) highway, the Chennai-Vizag-Calcutta(NH5/16). There are vast swathes of road one can ATTAIN these speeds quite easily. But again, these may not even be expressways ( probably apart from NH48 ). The point is, we are already doing this and the legislation is actually behind!

All said and done, these are just going to be numbers as no one really cares about the legal speed limits on the HIGHWAYS. People pick the speed with which they are comfortable and amble along. It is not as if anyone cares much for the current 100Kph speed limit even now.
careind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 14:32   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gadkari wants to increase speed limits on expressways to 140 kmph, Bill soon

Faster freight movement is the prime justification all the fancy infrastructure we have been witnessing in the last 2 decades. If freight cannot do 120, there is no point in setting speed limits as 140. Mixing 80 and 140 would be a very bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I do not know where you live, but all the highways around me are still the same, infact they have gotten worse over years
2 or 3 decades back we used to gawk at cross country trips, now we do for overland trips. There are regular folk who do Rajasthan trips from Bangalore these days. That's how much things have changed. And these don't happen with worser roads over the years.
narayans80 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 15:00   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with those who have voiced against the bill !!

To Gadkari Sab - please read below why we hate the proposal

1. In India, we have zero road accidents since we have a 80 kmph limit. We are scared we may now see few accidents with the new and massively increased speed limits.

2. We are such a law abiding nation, so even those who bribed the way to getting DL will very strictly follow the rule of 140 kmph. Please don't force us to travel at such high speeds.

3. We are a group who keeps our brains at home while driving & don't know the limits of man, machine or environment - so, please don't make it difficult to 'think' & take decisions on the move.

4. We very well know the current speed limits are already high, but will most of the time maintain speeds a little more than that just for the fun & sake of cribbing that limits are lower, our cars are faster too.

5. Please stop creating expressways in the country as half of us don't know the improvements made in the infrastructure space. Neither we have ever seen an expressway in our life. We are happy to circle in 20 kmph speed inside the city. Those who want to travel fast between intercity / inter state, let them use railway or air travel.

6. Finally, we want to shout to the world that we are a 3rd world country and want to remain so. Your efforts are against our principles.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2021 at 19:43. Reason: As requested
swiftnfurious is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 16:03   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Faster freight movement is the prime justification all the fancy infrastructure we have been witnessing in the last 2 decades. If freight cannot do 120, there is no point in setting speed limits as 140. Mixing 80 and 140 would be a very bad idea.
In most countries, freight vehicles are restricted to speeds below 120 kph. I really dont see a case for making such a big leeway. Do we have a rigorous process of checking how trucks are loaded ? Heck, I see large trucks struggling up a fairly modest continuous incline near Baner/ Pashan on the Pune-BLR bypass.
Speed limits of 100 kph are NOT the impediment to faster traffic across states. It is the huge variety of vehicles which access the highways, from cycles to tractors to 16-wheelers, and drivers who drive these vehicles without proper licensing scrutiny and with blatant disregard for regulations, or basic maintenance, that are the problem.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 14th October 2021 at 16:06.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 16:22   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
In most countries, freight vehicles are restricted to speeds below 120 kph.
Yes. In Italy, trucks are restricted to 110 and cars to 130. And trucks really do 110.

Quote:
Do we have a rigorous process of checking how trucks are loaded ?
That's really the point. We have freight that hardly do 60-80 on regular roads, leave aside inclines.

I am not including miscellaneous traffic here, as this specific thread is only talking about access controlled expressways. That's for the 120 on highways thread.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 21:06   #96
BHPian

Sorry for posting here. Please feel free to move it to the right thread. I couldn't find where this question fits.

Could someone comment on whats the legal speed limit on NH44 (Hyderabad to Bangalore) Highway?

Some say, its 80 where as google says its 100. I don't want any headaches with the law and no more headaches than what i currently have.

If it really is 80, may i know the buffer percentage?

If it is 100 and if i get questioned by Cops, are there any bills defining the speed limits, which i can show?
Old 25th October 2022, 21:26   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

140 km/h????? In India?????? Really????

There are very few countries in the world where the speed limit on motorways/highways is a 140 km/h. Across Europe it is between 100-130km/h and that is with much better and safer infrastructure and much more disciplined driving being the norm. Not wanting to offend anybody y but Indian driving is pretty chaotic at best.

Only in Germany are you allowed to drive fast on specific stretches of motorway. But even in Germany most motorways/highways have a speed limit of 100-130km/h. Also, if you find yourself doing more than 130km/h on an unrestricted motorway in Germany, in case of an accident your a guilty by default.

I can’t think of any modern country with well developed road infrastructure and good disciples driving and well maintained cars and trucks that has a 140km/h. India might be a first, but I am not sure if we need to be happy about it.

A cow wandering onto a Dutch motorway is a very exceptional occurrence. But whenever I found myself on Indian motorways I encountered not just cows, but bicycles, pedestrians and all kinds of things that should never be on a motorway. Whether you are doing 100km/h lest 140km/h.

One of the big problems pointed out by other members is also the difference in speed of different motorway users. At least in Europe trucks and busses will do anywhere up to 100km/h easily and legally.

If you want to introduce a speed limit of 140km/h you also need to introduce a minimum speed and be very specific about who can not go on the motorway, e.g. TukTuks, bicycles, pedestrians, cows, dogs. You also need to be able to enforce this or ensure people have sufficient common sense not to.

I think it is a particularly bad proposal, that simply doesn’t take the real life conditions of India into account.

Jeroen

Last edited by SDP : 25th October 2022 at 22:05. Reason: Minor typo
Jeroen is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 22:37   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
1. I can’t think of any modern country with well developed road infrastructure and good disciples driving and well maintained cars and trucks that has a 140km/h.

2. One of the big problems pointed out by other members is also the difference in speed of different motorway users.

3. I think it is a particularly bad proposal, that simply doesn’t take the real life conditions of India into account.
1. There's one in UAE connecting Abu Dhabi to Ruwais and on to the Saudi border. Drove on it, quite straight and deserted, with mainly trucks plying and it was very well controlled. Speed limit is 160kmph also mentioned here.

2. This along with the lack of a minimum level of skill and discipline would be a deal breaker even if the infrastructure comes in place. Poor attitude and/or knowledge of maintaining automobiles is another important factor and also a side effect of the reason mentioned above.

3. My only gripe with the otherwise very well performing minister is the inability to address the elephant in the room, the biggest cause of everything that's wrong with our driving scene, our driving licensing system. This has been acknowledged by the minister too. Hope something better gets done in the future but just increasing speed limits is going to cause unnecessary loss of lives and livelihoods.

While I understand the complexities and vested interests involved in fixing the driving system but it's high time, IMHO.

Last edited by shancz : 25th October 2022 at 22:40. Reason: min correct
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 23:54   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

There are very few countries in the world where the speed limit on motorways/highways is a 140 km/h.
You can maintain that speed safely on plenty of places on highways of TN, AP, KA as well in that order, KL has too many speed cameras and signals (just mentioning the states down south where I roam). There is plenty of open space to spot whatever that is likely to wander onto the road as well.

Even on roads where the speed limit is 100, not may would reach that speed , so having a 140 speed limit isn't going to make everyone drive at that speed.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 02:28   #100
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Jeroen
Lane discipline, apart from all the other things that you have said, is one big factor which simply does not exist in India. Whether city roads or highways or expressways or any type of road, there will always be some number of slow moving stubborn vehicles and irritating under powered overtakers, sitting in what purports to be the ‘fast lane’. And the ‘lane-cutting’ is of pandemic proportions here in India with no cure in sight. Hence at best, a good and vigilant driver in a good and powerful car can at best manage a general and ‘safe’ average speed of no more than perhaps 60kmph to 70kmph when on a road trip. And this itself is being optimistic
Which is why a 300km- 350km -400kmjourney between two large cities, (Bangalore to Chennai or Bangalore to Coimbatore or Bangalore to Mangalore) which are connected by supposedly modern high speed highways, take easily 6 -7 hours or more.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th October 2022 at 02:33.
Old 26th October 2022, 09:05   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it's a great idea. Absolutely no one sticks to the posted 60/80/100 speed limits anyway, especially anyone driving a modern sedan/SUV.

This legalizes the 'illegal' act of 'speeding'. However, HCVs & buses should definitely be capped at 100/110 km/hr for safety reasons.
Old 9th May 2023, 23:44   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Gadkari wants to increase speed limits on expressways to 140 kmph, Bill soon
Gadkari wants to increase speed limits on expressways to 140 kmph, Bill soon-screenshot_20230509_233800.jpg

And they wonder why their puny 1.2 litre engine car overheated and broke down in the middle of the highway.

Gadkari wants to increase speed limits on expressways to 140 kmph, Bill soon-world_speed_limits.svg.png
toyotafanboi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 13:53   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

"140 kmph speed limit" entering the thought process of the Minister shows his total lack of awareness of fuel consumption increases at high speeds.

Quoting from the US Department of Energy website, it speaks about fuel consumption at speeds above 75 kmph :-

Quote:

Speeding increases fuel consumption and decreases fuel economy as a result of tire rolling resistance and air resistance. While vehicles reach optimal fuel economy at different speeds, gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 50 miles per hour (mph). For light-duty vehicles, for example, every 5 mph you drive over 50 mph is like paying $0.18 more per gallon of gas (based on the price of gas at $2.63 per gallon). Reducing your speed by 5 to 10 mph can improve fuel economy by 7%–14%.
https://afdc.energy.gov/conserve/beh...echniques.html

Referring to another link HowStuffworks, it says the requirement of power for an engine to move from 50 to 51 mph is much higher as compared to reach from 2 to 3 mph.

Quote:

You can see that the increase in power required to go from 50 to 51 mph is much greater than to go from 2 to 3 mph.

So, for most cars, the "sweet spot" on the speedometer is in the range of 40-60 mph. Cars with a higher road load will reach the sweet spot at a lower speed. Some of the main factors that determine the road load of the car are:
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-...uestion477.htm

And our Minister also double talks about the high oil import bills draining our foreign exchange reserves on every other occasion.

Congruence of the thought process especially for policy makers is very much desirable.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 10th May 2023 at 13:56.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 14:44   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
140 km/h??
I think it is a particularly bad proposal, that simply doesn’t take the real life conditions of India into account.

Jeroen
I'm not sure how you can generalise real life conditions of India so easily. It is a huge country whose demographics you must be already aware of. I'm not sure why you compare a regular highway to an expressway. They are not the same.

There are lot of new roads which can handle much more than 140kmph. And it's not like every road must be rated at 140kmph. The roads that are being spoken about have better characteristics than a German autobahn. I alternate driving between the two countries every few weeks so can vouch for this anyday. No point in being overly defensive about things like cattle etc when people are slowly getting to know these aspects and the expressways are anyway either greenfield or are barricaded well. And it is anyway the max speed, and road users can choose a slower speed for their own safety if they please.

Last edited by audioholic : 10th May 2023 at 14:48.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 15:47   #105
BHPian

And Mr. G hits another one out of the park without any regard for ground realities and state of our highways and the different types of vehicles and travellers on them.

Just to get mileage in the media that we are up there with the best in the world. This 140 kmph limit could literally be a licence to kill.

I am still awaiting his much touted scrappage policy which was ill thought out and now relegated to the bin for all practical purposes.
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed