Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2021, 11:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Polo TSI got badly rear-ended by a Tata Safari (two 360-degree spins)

Thank God all are safe, the impact on Polo looks devastating.

Some points I'd like to share:

-Do insist on getting total loss claim for your car. If it's not possible, evaluate getting a replacement body shell. Since the Polo is still in production, that should be the next best thing. The bodyshell will cost around Rs. 3 lacs, and adding smaller items plus paint etc, the cost shouldn't cross Rs. 4.5 lac in any case. Repairing will never bring the car back in same state. Chassis strength aside, you will even face niggles, leaks and rusts in the long run.

My Polo TSI got badly rear-ended by a Tata Safari (two 360-degree spins)-img20181008wa0021.jpg

My Polo TSI got badly rear-ended by a Tata Safari (two 360-degree spins)-img20210227wa0003.jpg

-It's scary for me, specially because I too prefer leaving late at night or early morning on all my drives.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 11:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hello Sinharishi,

That is a scary impact for sure. Glad that all of you came out unscathed from the accident! As others suggested, please get a new bodyshell for repair or push for total loss. That impact is really heavy & I have apprehensions on how much of it can be repaired.

What estimate has the service center given?
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 15:04   #18
BHPian

Update from VW Jaipur:

- Surveyor assessed the car and cannot justify total loss, he said he would have done it at 50% also
- Since the car is new and IDV is high, chances were always bleak
- 2.5 lakhs is what is going to cost to get the car back on the road
- No repair, all parts will be replaced including axle
- Delivery by Diwali
- They have asked us to stay in Jaipur for 2-3 days post delivery to report any issues that may occur (if at all)
sinharishi is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 15:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Update from VW Jaipur:

- Surveyor assessed the car and cannot justify total loss, he said he would have done it at 50% also
- Delivery by Diwali
- They have asked us to stay in Jaipur for 2-3 days post delivery to report any issues that may occur (if at all)
Glad everyone is ok Rishi. The velocity indeed seems to have been high.

You mentioned that you had slowed down to go over some bumps. Which means the Polo transmission was engaged. Even though this is a front wheel drive car, be sure to check out the shifting of the transmission.

Check if the transmission has any difficulty in shifting into different gears. Also put off the air-conditioning, music, roll down the windows and check for any audible sounds while shifting.

Also as them to show you that the transmission is intact with the car on the lift. You should see no transmission fluid leaks from anywhere.

Take the Team BHP PDI checklist with you to go though things like a new car. Most of them will be applicable and will help.
Newtown is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 16:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Request to all, please spend that extra bucks and buy a safe car. Both, Safari and Polo absorbed the impact very well. I will leave it up to the readers to judge the speed at which Safari hit us, the impact was such that we ended up 30 ft ahead. Drive safe.
Your experience is very similar to mine. I had lost a Polo too a few years back - 4 vaults off the highyway and then sideways ricocheted off the branch (at a height of at least 1.5 storeys) of an old tree, before it landed on all fours. And following that, in full awareness of how safe this car is, I could not settle for anything less than another Polo. Not getting into the ghost of the past, I am so glad that you and your family and the occupants of the Safari are safe!

Now, regarding "Total Loss", my car had just completed three years and the repair cost was nearly as much as the cost of a new Polo - but I am wondering if there was a price differential of parts or service because the service center was located in Delhi (is it cheaper in other states?) My car was much less damaged than what yours looks like.

I was averse to giving up the car, but in time I realized that not just financially, but in terms of what the car survived that it was better to "put it down" (it was as painful as that!)

Do you know what all parts, they are going to repair/replace in 2.5 lakhs? In my case, I had requested them for all the line items and had the cost independently assessed. My motive was to bring down the cost and ensure that I did not have to give up the car, yours might be to check for the quality of parts and replacements that your car is getting. Personally, I think it is best to give up the car - because keeping this one may no longer be able to offer you the same safety that is characteristic of the Polo.

I am sorry for the situation and can only say hang in there, this too shall pass!

Last edited by DogNDamsel12 : 19th October 2021 at 16:04. Reason: grammatical edits
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 17:32   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

A shocking incident. The best part is that the tiny Polo has fully endured the hit by a monstrous Tata Safari at that speed. Especially, all praises for this great VW Polo for keeping your mother safe, as she was seated at a spot made so vulnerable during the hit. However, the VW helpline and dealer response need to be recorded as very poor. Tata helpline response needs lots of kudos for being so prompt at that early morning hour.

I will decry the tiring, full night driving by the Safari driver, as this is not recommended, unless there is an emergency and one is very vigilant and fully awake during these hours. Else, it's always preferable to drive during the day and halt at nights.

Lastly, it's great that everyone is safe and that the police report/panchnama/FIR's etc were avoided by both the parties. The Safari driver would have been held culpable as he had hit your car.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th October 2021 at 17:45.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 19:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update from VW Jaipur:

- Delivery by Diwali
Explore "cash loss" settlement. It means the insurance will pay their liability of repair costs + you/insurance-co sell the car as-is: the total proceeds will be close to total loss claim. This is a common practice when the car owner is not interested in getting the car repaired due to factors like time, quality and to be stuck with an accident-repaired car. This is my preferred option if the damage is substantial and I am not qualified for a total loss claim.
androdev is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 22:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am okay with either outcome, we made it out safe, alive, is all that matters.

Request to all, please spend that extra bucks and buy a safe car. Both, Safari and Polo absorbed the impact very well. I will leave it upto the readers to judge the speed at which Safari hit us, the impact was such that we ended up 30 ft ahead. Drive safe.
Glad to know that everyone's safe. Applaud the maturity of both the families in handling the situation. As for safe cars, absolutely agree with you. It's more important and critical for a car to have a strong body shell than 10 airbags.
discoverwild is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 22:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Update from VW Jaipur:
Sir, I am very glad you all walked out of this scary accident with no major injuries. Also good to see the Safari owner owning up to his mistake. Just a suggestion from my side - if possible get the whole chassis checked thoroughly for minute cracks or such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
The bodyshell will cost around Rs. 3 lacs, and adding smaller items plus paint etc, the cost shouldn't cross Rs. 4.5 lac in any case. Repairing will never bring the car back in same state. Chassis strength aside, you will even face niggles, leaks and rusts in the long run.
I had no idea that one can get whole body shell also ! At the risk of going off topic, Leoshashi, could you please elaborate more on this ? What happens to the old chassis number and how the process is handled then ? I'm sure many people would be curious to know about this.
Mods please delete this post if it goes off topic.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 22:38   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does this include the bodyshell too?
Old 19th October 2021, 22:49   #26
BHPian

Thank you all for the valuable inputs. I am yet to see the BOM and give a sign-off from my end. Going to have my surveyor re-visit the workshop and reassess the damages once they dismantle the body parts. Also, will explore the the possibility of "cash loss".

So far I haven't heard back from VW. Not even an acknowledgement to my tweet. Don't expect them to be involved but least is they can acknowledge a customer's tweet.

Mentally prepared to deal with any outcome, if required will sell the car if its not fixed to my satisfaction and end my short relationship with a wonderful car and move on.

EDIT:

@leoshashi, no. Have a call with the dealer and surveyor tomorrow, will push for it as much as I can.

Last edited by sinharishi : 19th October 2021 at 22:52.
sinharishi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 23:10   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@leoshashi, no. Have a call with the dealer and surveyor tomorrow, will push for it as much as I can.
Then it is called repairing. See, all bolt on parts will anyways be replaced. That's fine. But to repair that monocoque, they will cut all damaged parts, take measurements and weld in replacement parts. Half the chassis from rear will be cut and constructed again.

Issue is, quality of welds will be doubtful and problematic in future. Secondly, given the monocoque has absorbed such a huge force, it's dynamics and strength will not remain the same ever. Repairing will be messy and time consuming too. Thus replacement of shell is pushed in such cases, the car will be ready within a week maximum. Insurance also saves on labour costs. Please push for shell change, that's the best option you got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I had no idea that one can get whole body shell also ! At the risk of going off topic, Leoshashi, could you please elaborate more on this ? What happens to the old chassis number and how the process is handled then ? I'm sure many people would be curious to know about this.
Mods please delete this post if it goes off topic.
Nothing, the new chassis number is endorsed in the RC(just like new engine) and you are done. Another way(although illegal IMO) is welding in old chassis number part on new chassis. Even chassis/bodyshell carries a part number just like any other spare, and is available till production of that model is there.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 23:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Issue is, quality of welds will be doubtful and problematic in future.
Noob question: Fitting in a new body shell will require them to dismantle the car entirely including the front section and then reassemble it in the new shell? Will they achieve the same level of finesse as factory? Particularly the front section (engine, steering assembly etc)

Last edited by sinharishi : 19th October 2021 at 23:26.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 23:30   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Noob question: Fitting in a new body shell will require them to dismantle the car entirely including the front section and then reassemble it in the new shell? Will they achieve the same level of finesse as factory? Particularly the front section (engine, steering assembly etc)
Yes they'll need to swap everything. Engine and gearbox will come out as a single unit so nothing to worry there. Undo the mounts and fix in the new shell. Again similar thing for steering and suspension units. Be sure to check steering/suspension post taking delivery since they often fail to behave normally after a crash, even if they look normal from outside.

This swapping of units will be far easier than trying to repair the existing shell.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Please see this video, damage is similar to yours:

Last edited by Leoshashi : 19th October 2021 at 23:33.
Leoshashi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 23:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
This swapping of units will be far easier than trying to repair the existing shell.
Thanks again, what concerns me is the SC messing up the removal of engine/components and add to my worries. Skeptical about this as I am not there to supervise the work.

Let me give it a thought.
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks