Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2021, 00:39   #76
BHPian

Re: My Polo TSI got badly rear-ended by a Tata Safari (two 360-degree spins)

Why is it that a car is never considered as good as the original once it's repaired? Pardon my ignorance, I'm genuinely curious as to what all happens that makes the car components and it's chassis weaker after repair even if all the original parts are used. Can someone please post a detailed answer to this. Thanks.
Astitva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 01:12   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astitva View Post
Why is it that a car is never considered as good as the original once it's repaired? Pardon my ignorance, I'm genuinely curious as to what all happens that makes the car components and it's chassis weaker after repair even if all the original parts are used. Can someone please post a detailed answer to this. Thanks.
Since this thread is about a car from a German brand, usually a perception or a belief about those cars is that a happy owner not going to sell the car even after a decade so you are not going to find a used car in good condition in the second hand market from such brands. On the other hand if the car is problematic then it will be asking too much unjustified maintenance and the owner will try to get rid of it ASAP, mostly at a very low price. But no harm in getting hands on a used car if you can make sure about it's 'clean' maintenance history.
Old 22nd October 2021, 10:03   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
That is exactly what I pointed out in my earlier post. VW will supply to dealer the BSO,( known as Body Side Outer in automotive parlance). The BSO needs to be laser welded to the roof as the Polo has a laser welded roof.
Please check how the dealer intends to do it. Do they have laser welding facility? And a jig to hold the BSO & bodyshell in place while they are working on it? Are they using a CRS, (Collision Repair System)?
Check for yourself please. Don't rely on hearsay.
Arjab, they will be using MIC (or MIG?) for welding. I will be visiting the workshop early next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Hello, sad to hear about the incident. I live in Jaipur and have been getting my car serviced at the same dealership since last 10 years who helped me keeping my car in pristine condition till date. Their service is really satisfactory. There reputation is such that you will find VWs in good numbers in Jaipur compared to other parts of India due to the reputation of this particular dealership.
Thank you. This is a big confidence booster for me.

Latest from VW Jaipur:

I have the list of parts to be repaired/replaced. VW Jaipur is waiting for my approval. I do not want to disclose the entire list here but the roof, RHS quarter panel, rear floor and LHS rear door will be repaired (not replaced), rest all damaged parts are being replaced including rear axle. I am proceeding with the repairs (contrary to the popular opinion) and willing to give VW Jaipur a chance. Will assess the car post repairs and take a call whether to keep it or sell it.

Again, want to thank everyone for their inputs.
sinharishi is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 14:46   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Arjab, they will be using MIC (or MIG?) for welding.
Thats normal welding process, laser welding is usually done by robots at the factory only during the manufacturing process.

Quote:
Thank you. This is a big confidence booster for me.
They are also dealer of BMW and body work of BMWs is carried out in the same workshop and service is done at the workshop attached to the showroom. One concerning thing may be the difference in paint after some time which sometimes may need some rectification. This process is usually covered by the company/insurer for a certain period like 6 months, 1 years or so depending on the terms. I guess you are not resident of Jaipur so better to clarify how and where you will get the paint rectified in case you find some imperfection in shades or workmanship.

Quote:
I have the list of parts to be repaired/replaced. VW Jaipur is waiting for my approval. I do not want to disclose the entire list here but the roof, RHS quarter panel, rear floor and LHS rear door will be repaired (not replaced), rest all damaged parts are being replaced including rear axle. I am proceeding with the repairs (contrary to the popular opinion) and willing to give VW Jaipur a chance.
I would like to know if any component of the internal structural/monocoque-chassis has received any damage? If so then how it will be repaired?

I have always been curious about how the damages of such crucial structural components are handled in India since we don't have any regulations about car safety standards which restrict the car companies or insurance companies against repairing such crucial parts.

Images of Polo 6r monocoque structure:
My Polo TSI got badly rear-ended by a Tata Safari (two 360-degree spins)-img_1576065406.jpg

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  209.3 KB

Last edited by tbppjpr : 22nd October 2021 at 14:48.
tbppjpr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 15:13   #80
BHPian

Quote:
I am proceeding with the repairs (contrary to the popular opinion) and willing to give VW Jaipur a chance. Will assess the car post repairs and take a call whether to keep it or sell it.

Again, want to thank everyone for their inputs.
On a personal note, I do not think the structure of the car is compromised that much, especially considering the fact that it was not a head-on collision where the Air Bags were also not deployed. I believe the repairs/replacements as you have indicated shall be good enough to make the car back in top shape. The key point here is the workmanship and the way they carry out the work with the right set of tools/techniques.

Our Swift met with an accident in 2006 when the car was barely 300 km and a few days old. On an "S" kind of bend, an incoming lorry lost traction and the back right corner of the lorry rammed onto the top portion of the driver's door, B Pillar, Right Rear door, and the boot door. In the end, we replaced all the three doors concerned.

Back then we were very skeptical about the repairs and the quality of repairs. But took the call since it was not a head-on collision and the car was brand new. But we insisted to replace all three doors, even though the service center told us the doors can be repaired. Later when we went to pick up the car after almost a month, the body shop guy showed me the three doors that were perfectly repaired (visually). Most certainly they might have installed it on someone else's car.

I have received the car back in a near-perfect stage. However, there were a few minor niggles. We found broken glass pieces on various occasions and at times those created many rattles as well. Found pieces of glasses from the spare wheel well, roof liner, under seats, and even inside the door pad. But all removed over the course of time. Paint bubbles appeared on the C Pillar after 6 months. But Maruti repainted those areas again for us FOC. Another problem I faced was there on the right rear tyre, the tread wear was slightly more compared to the rest of the 3 wheels. But I used to rotate tyre every 3k Kms and I never see that issue afterward. Back then we ended up paying approx 70K after the payment from the insurance company. Well, it wasn't a Nil Depreciation if I remember correctly. We were unaware of those back then. But learned the lesson a hard way.

I kept the car in top shape after that and it was mainly used for our trips on highways. I have traveled extensively on that car and finally, we have sold that at the end of 2009 with nearly 50,000 kms on it. We don't wanted to sell that but then I went abroad and there was no one to use the car. Or else we should have hang on to that for longer. I truly loved that car and I have many memories of that.

So I suggest, keep your faith in the workshop and keep a good rapport with them and when necessary don't forget to push them (VW & the ASS) to provide you with an above par quality of work. Good Luck and keep us all posted on the outcome.

You'll always have an option to analyze it prior you make a decision to sell or retain it.
igemini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 15:32   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arjab, they will be using MIC (or MIG?) for welding. I will be visiting the workshop early next week
My suspicions came true. MIG,(Metal - Insert - Gas) and TIG, (Tungsten - Insert - Gas) are two of the most common welding machines used by car workshops. Heck, MIG welding Chinese made machines can be bought from the open market for as low as ₹70,000.

The point is: the Polo , from the factory, has a laser welded roof. It is laser welded to both the left and right BSO's(Body Side Outer's), and then brazed over. This is the reason why the Polo doesn't have a roof ditch (gutter). The result is a roof which is immensely rigid, safe and strong and can take roughly, three times the weight of the car should it turn turtle and land on its roof.
Now if the dealer MIG welds the LH BSO to the roof , you are left with a car which has a MIG welded roof on LH and a factory laser welded roof on RH side. Definitely structural rigidity will not be the same and bodyshell integrity will be compromised.

A complete new bodyshell with roof and body side Outer's minus the closures(that's doors, bonnet and hatchlid), is what you need for a proper complete roadworthy repair.
arjab is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 17:35   #82
BHPian

Quote:
A complete new bodyshell with roof and body side Outer's minus the closures(that's doors, bonnet and hatchlid), is what you need for a proper complete roadworthy repair.
Thanks! When I asked for complete body shell, they said Polo does not come with a complete body shell. I confirmed this with couple of other dealers and VW also. I guess I have no option but to live with a car that is welded at the workshop.
Old 22nd October 2021, 21:13   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I guess I have no option but to live with a car that is welded at the workshop.
Guess you are welded to the car , all the best and hoe all is safe henceforth
Dieseldunk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 18:42   #84

I hope your mom is fine and recovered from the trauma brother BHPian. It is hard for the elderly to cope from such events. I read through and am extremely sorry for what you had to go through, but hey all is well that ends well, everyone got out safe and that is the crux.

To the mods and others higher up in the hierarchy of this forum, photos from this thread are going places.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVTYKd5B...dium=copy_link

Check this link, I saw it in the suggestions section, now I know the AI and algorithms track you down and I think this helped me getting to this post. I don't know who the admin of that page is, just wanted to draw your attention that the watermarks of TBHP have been rightfully (read illegally) cropped out and our member BHPian's car details are out on social platforms.

Please feel free to remove this post if doesn't go by the topic. I thought the origin thread would be the best to put out the discovered info.

Hope you get back your Polo and safe miles to everyone out there.
Regards
desertknight73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 21:34   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! When I asked for complete body shell, they said Polo does not come with a complete body shell. I confirmed this with couple of other dealers and VW also. I guess I have no option but to live with a car that is welded at the workshop.
This could be true with all cars. Car identity goes by the chassis number and if you change the body shell (which is also the chassis in case of monocoque cars), technically it is a different car.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 23:48   #86
BHPian

Small update on the repairs: Body parts have arrived, awaiting mechanical parts which should be delivered by the weekend. Work should begin next week.
sinharishi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 00:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This could be true with all cars. Car identity goes by the chassis number and if you change the body shell (which is also the chassis in case of monocoque cars), technically it is a different car.
Don't think so. An example here.

Also have seen an example get a bodyshell transfer at the dealership myself.
DRIV3R is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 00:35   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is exactly what I pointed out in my earlier post. VW will supply to dealer the BSO,( known as Body Side Outer in automotive parlance). The BSO needs to be laser welded to the roof as the Polo has a laser welded roof.
+1.
Although this isn't a proper pic, still sharing how Outer side skin is welded to the existing body. In cars where normal welding is used, the weld marks are hidden by roof trims. In Polo, due to laser weld, there is no such trim:

My Polo TSI got badly rear-ended by a Tata Safari (two 360-degree spins)-20211026_143023.jpg

My Polo TSI got badly rear-ended by a Tata Safari (two 360-degree spins)-20211026_143027.jpg

My Polo TSI got badly rear-ended by a Tata Safari (two 360-degree spins)-20211026_143032.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 09:09   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Small update on the repairs: Body parts have arrived, awaiting mechanical parts which should be delivered by the weekend. Work should begin next week.
Next set of parts to arrive post Diwali on the 8th of November. Work has started. Expecting car to be ready by the 20th of this month.
sinharishi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 23:45   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Next set of parts to arrive post Diwali on the 8th of November. Work has started. Expecting car to be ready by the 20th of this month.
I received a few pictures from the workshop today. Damaged body parts have been replaced.

However, they need more time and car will only be ready for the road test in the first week of December. Cannot wait to get her back home!
sinharishi is online now   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed