Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 19:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motorsport is dangerous | My experience of rolling down a mountain in a Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmenhr View Post
Oh my my Akshay!! You sure rolled down & back into life & how!!!
Am sure you have an angel up there guarding you!!!
It shows how important the safety equipment's are in an automobile. It is only in the recent past that India has matured as a country taking cognizance of these things. I now recollect the cars that I previously owned - a Premier Padmini, Maruti 800, an Omni, Tata Indigo and to the recently sold Punto. None baring the punto had any safety.
Another thing is how these rallies are permitted before everything such as medical back up team, recovery team's speed to reach accident sites etc.
Anyways, good that you escaped with minor injuries.
Take care & ride safe.
Krish
I am a dog lover, after the crash my driver friend always jokes, that prayers from all the street dogs, that you feed saved you.
Almost all of us born in 80's travelled in those unsafe cars.
Roads were quite safe back then unlike today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post
So glad to hear that you guys survived a 300 ft drop like that. Amazing and blessed. Roll cages are worth everything in the hills.

I’ve been lucky in the past in losing control at high altitudes and somehow not going off the hill completely, in my punto. It just takes an unanticipated mid corner bump or some debris from the previous nights rain to change ‘at the limit’ into ‘beyond the limit’. After that you’re a passenger. Forgot about professional rallying, which must be a whole other level.

I also had that thing with the transfer case popping into neutral from 4L happen too in a borrowed gypsy. It started speeding down the slope and to make things worse the brake didn’t work the first time I pressed it. The pedal sank into the carpet. Luckily a double pump did the job lol.
Roll cage was the hero here followed by harness and seats.
We still cannot fathom how we lost control on such an easy right hand curve.
We suspect, it could have been a mechanical failure too, which after the crash couldn't be looked into, as everything was a trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Akshay, Immensely pleased to hear that you both are alright. I’m sure the roll cage, and the seats did 10/10.

I always had been pondering as to why, normal cars don’t have roll cages or 4 point seat belts. The F1 cockpit that doesn’t break at any force, are these all developed just for sport?

I’m sure, 3 point seat belt and a million airbags would have done nothing like your safety kit behaved. So, can we bring any of these to our road cars? A roll cage, maybe modified and camouflaged within the car chassis, a 4 point seat belt, (I am sure they won’t be too uncomfortable), differently designed seats to house these altered seat belts, stronger cockpit.

The roll cage might add weight, but you can still remove the unwanted bits like the spoilers, skid plates, roof rails etc, and make the shell roll safe
Well I believe Roll Cage isn't mandatory as normally cars are meant to be driven sanely, and at those speeds, it will definitely be an overkill.
For events like these, it definitely makes sense.
A strong cabin, will always be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementw View Post
Wow!! Glad to know that you are safe. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegermanbadger View Post
Holy Mother of God that sounds incredibly scary! Very lucky that you and your friend managed to get out with minor injuries. Flipping and rolling down a mountain can not be fun.

Thank goodness for the roll cage and harnesses.

I too have had a few motorcycle accidents. One left me with a metal rod and compound fractures in my tibia and fibia. Unable to walk for almost 6 months I know the pain.

Good luck and be safe out there ..

Cheers
I have had my share of Motorcycle Crashes too, when I was a youngster, however nothing major thankfully. It's all a part of the game.
Thanks for your Wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
You should thank the person who installed a proper roll cage in the car, and also the Marshal who did Scrutiny for the vehicle, making sure all the safety precautions are in place. Otherwise, this incident would've been something else all together.

Also, thank FMSCI to have stringent safety rules.
Absolutely, I am glad the Roll Cage held up strong for it's purpose and the installer didn't cut corners.
FMSCI definitely has stringent rules and regulations, however at times they are unable to monitor all these events strictly.
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 20:50   #17
BHPian

Re: Motorsport is dangerous | My experience of rolling down a mountain in a Gypsy

Thank God you survived this. It was really scary going down and beating death as it came. Nothing but a miracle saved you both. Have seen helicopter crashes with no loss of life in my life in the Navy. Few of the survivors did take time to come out of it. Both of you must take time out and consult doctors as it can cause problems later in the mind.
sukhbirST is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 09:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhbirST View Post
Thank God you survived this. It was really scary going down and beating death as it came. Nothing but a miracle saved you both. Have seen helicopter crashes with no loss of life in my life in the Navy. Few of the survivors did take time to come out of it. Both of you must take time out and consult doctors as it can cause problems later in the mind.
It was indeed a Miracle.
We both went for a full body check up sometime down the line, and it was all good
Old 31st October 2021, 10:17   #19
BHPian

Akshay, Good to see you and your friend came out of this without to much of compromise. Also happy to see you sharing this one here as it not only helps other enthusiasts but I'm sure will help you to take learnings from it and move on, cus as sukhbirST said above, it can bring some glitches in mind after an event like this for some.
Happy for you guys!
pineapple_ameet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 11:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple_ameet View Post
Akshay, Good to see you and your friend came out of this without to much of compromise. Also happy to see you sharing this one here as it not only helps other enthusiasts but I'm sure will help you to take learnings from it and move on, cus as sukhbirST said above, it can bring some glitches in mind after an event like this for some.
Happy for you guys!
Thank you.
After this, both of us have moved on to Tarmac events, or event's in Plains, which pose a much lesser risk
Old 1st November 2021, 20:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Thank you.
After this, both of us have moved on to Tarmac events, or event's in Plains, which pose a much lesser risk
I have seen mother removing son from last stage of pilot training , survivors sitting close to escape/emergency doors/exits etc after years of incident. My late mother could still remember incidents and get worried after decades. Mental health can come back after many years and for that right guidance at the right time , by good doctors is really required. It may look all OK now but the same may not be be the case in later life. Counselling does wonders provided it is taken at the right time. Hope you do not really require it.
sukhbirST is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhbirST View Post
I have seen mother removing son from last stage of pilot training , survivors sitting close to escape/emergency doors/exits etc after years of incident. My late mother could still remember incidents and get worried after decades. Mental health can come back after many years and for that right guidance at the right time , by good doctors is really required. It may look all OK now but the same may not be be the case in later life. Counselling does wonders provided it is taken at the right time. Hope you do not really require it.
I totally understand what you are saying.
We have just voluntarily pulled out of this for now.
I have been driving regularly in the mountains post that incident, so I feel I am alright, when it comes to such incidents, having affect on one's mental health.

Thanks for bringing this up, Over the past one year, I have been through series of events, that has made me realise how important mental health is.
Old 3rd November 2021, 16:10   #23

My goodness. This was brutal. Very glad you and your friend made it out alive and safe and sound. Perhaps your guardian angels were working over time because the Gypsy does look a mangled mess. And your safety equipment did quite a bit of heavy-lifting as well!

I think I have vaguely known that rallysports are dangerous but every once in a while, I will see a post like yours that remind me that the danger of accidents can far outweigh the joy of an adrenalin rush.

Lovely post. I enjoyed the write-up, right from the build-up to your concise breakdown of the events!
automatonic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 14:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatonic View Post
My goodness. This was brutal. Very glad you and your friend made it out alive and safe and sound. Perhaps your guardian angels were working over time because the Gypsy does look a mangled mess. And your safety equipment did quite a bit of heavy-lifting as well!

I think I have vaguely known that rallysports are dangerous but every once in a while, I will see a post like yours that remind me that the danger of accidents can far outweigh the joy of an adrenalin rush.

Lovely post. I enjoyed the write-up, right from the build-up to your concise breakdown of the events!
Thank you
Absolutely; whenever or wherever you push yourself or your machine to limits, the danger increases several folds.
Old 7th November 2021, 11:35   #25
BHPian

While we all may take due precautions to avoid such or any accidents, I wanted to know from anyone who has knowledge about insurance - does a normal Life Insurance or Accident Insurance policy cover such accidents / crashes? Especially while off roading or taking part in such rallys. Or do we have to take special insurance?
Thanks in advance
Krish
emmenhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 09:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmenhr View Post
While we all may take due precautions to avoid such or any accidents, I wanted to know from anyone who has knowledge about insurance - does a normal Life Insurance or Accident Insurance policy cover such accidents / crashes? Especially while off roading or taking part in such rallys. Or do we have to take special insurance?
Thanks in advance
Krish
Let me answer this for you.
No, your usual Life/Car Insurance does not cover such incidents.
Accidental cover for Motorsports for Car and Life Insurance, needs to be taken for this event, and it's a part of list of the Mandatory documents, which are checked during Scrutiny.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 01:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

Drive Safe People!!!!
Amen.

Work has kept me busy so I've not been seeing the forum much, but the second I saw the thumbnail of this post on Instagram I knew it was your thread. I remember our chat on WhatsApp a few days after the crash happened (when I was supposed to visit you in Ambala).

Anyway, I'm glad you're still around, and I'm glad you highlighted the pitfalls of motorsports, it's too easy to forget about the danger of it amidst the glamour.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed