Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2021, 12:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Now book an Uber ride using WhatsApp

Uber has rolled out a WhatsApp-based ride-booking option in India.

Now book an Uber ride using WhatsApp-1389734.jpg

Uber Technologies Inc and Meta Platforms Inc have collaborated to develop this capability that uses WhatsApp's chatbot. The service has been launched in Lucknow and will be expanded to other cities in the near future.

WhatsApp users can register, book rides and receive trip receipts on the messaging platform itself. Further, the driver's name, license plate and location enroute to pickup will be included in the WhatsApp booking information.

At present, the service is only available in English, but there are plans to include support for other Indian languages as well.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 2nd December 2021 at 12:54.
TusharK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 21:24   #2
BHPian

Re: Now book an Uber ride using WhatsApp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Uber has rolled out a WhatsApp-based ride-booking option in India

The service has been launched in Lucknow and will be expanded to other cities in the near future[/url][/b]
Thanks for sharing! It's quite interesting, but I wonder why they picked Lucknow for pilot instead of many other mega cities where they can get more people to trial this service
Old 2nd December 2021, 21:47   #3
BHPian

This is interesting and out of the blue (at least for me, since this is the first I’m hearing/reading about this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
but I wonder why they picked Lucknow for pilot instead of many other mega cities where they can get more people to trial this service
I suppose they want a relatively smaller user base to test this implementation. Larger cities might overwhelm their system and should something go wrong, damage their reputation as well. There could be other legal aspects and approvals, which could have been granted in UP versus other states.
pandey.jai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

I will take this news with a pinch of alt coz Uber and its rival Ola both have a a huge pain when booking cabs esp in the Covid times and also lately. The availability part which is a major component of every booking is still an area on concern and frustration which both should have worked upon. Add to that the surge pricing which almost makes one cringe. The app should have been improved instead of finding new mediums.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:41   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Uber is focusing on the wrong problem entirely. Is the app a constraint in locating and communicating with the driver? Hardly an issue. The problem is both stakeholders have different needs
- drivers not wanting to go where the rider wants to go (and/or mode of payment chosen)
- riders not ready to wait out the pickup times and booking multiple rides and selecting the fastest one arriving

Will Whatsapp solve the above problem? Highly doubtful - this is a behavioral issue that was there with normal autos and taxis (pre-Uber times) and will remain irrespective of how many 'tech' solutions thrown at it.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 09:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The app should have been improved instead of finding new mediums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Uber is focusing on the wrong problem entirely.
Having existing problem(s) doesn't mean you shouldn't find offer new features. Your argument is akin to pointing at Tata Motor's dealership woes whenever Tata Motors does anything, even when they probably say Hi on Twitter.

Personally, I don't see how WhatsApp will improve/increase Uber's adoption / user experience significantly. Back before smartphones were common, Uber allowed cabs to be booked by SMS. This seems to piggyback off that idea. Sure, almost every Indian with a smartphone is sure to have WhatsApp. Uber seems to target a very niche target segment that has WhatsApp but may not (want) to install Uber.

Given how easy-to-use the Uber app is, I'd use the app over Uber-on-WhatsApp 10/10 times.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 16:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

The functionalities provided in the Whatsapp interface will be exactly same as the Uber app, as per a Newsroom report on the Uber website.

Uber is just providing a platform for those persons who have not installed the Uber app, to be able to use Uber.

https://www.uber.com/en-IN/newsroom/...tsapp-message/
Old 8th December 2021, 11:12   #8
Team-BHP Support

How long before they mandate users to sign up for and use the payments feature in WhatsApp?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks