Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2007, 13:26   #16
BHPian

Its not these JAMS that worry me (although today it nearly took 45 mins more than usual). It is going to get worse anyway, but its these attitude of drivers that is scary! I dont want this to repeat again. But, looks like I need to start my gym routines soon. Luckily , for me this guy was not in good shape.(still had the nerve to hit me!!)

Anyway its cool now. I better get working. Dont want to get messed up both in and out of office
Old 31st May 2007, 13:36   #17
Team-BHP Support

Since that guy started hitting first you had no choice. So, forget it and relax. Next time don't get down if it is a small nudge.

Ten days back I had a similar situation. I was driving the Santro in a narrow road, and an oncoming auto rickshaw drove by so close, he slammed my right side mirror and cracked it into thousand pieces. When he saw me trying to reverse and come after him, he just fled. But the traffic didn't allow me to complete the U-turn for 2-3 minutes. The holder was fine, only the mirror was gone.

So I turned back again and continued my trip. Soon enough I ran into a traffic jam caused by an accident. The opposite traffic lane was blocked and the oncoming traffic was filtering through my lane. At first I thought I'll allow a few vehicles, but the deluge never stopped. They kept on coming. After some time traffic behind me passed me and started squeezing through. So, I followed them. When I was halfway across the accident spot, one Indica decides to block my way, on my lane, making it impossible for me to pass. I can't move back due to traffic behind me. He has nothing behind him since he is on the wrong side. Yet, the idiot Indica driver had the gall to signal me to let him pass. How? spread my wings and fly away. But unlike R. Kelly, I don't believe I can fly. So, I relaxed, sat back and starting talking to my wife about how much the mirror is going to cost, when to replace, etc. I completely ignored the Indica. I was in real bad mood because of the cracked mirror, getting out and dealing with the idiot Indica driver would have been a very bad idea. Had he come down to me, then it is different.

After 5 minutes of complete inactivity from me, he finally withdrew and allowed me to move forward. As I was passing by, I delivered the ultimate insult. In my periphery vision I could sense that both the driver and the rear passenger waving and screaming at me through open windows. Since my windows were up like always, I couldn't hear them. And I didn't even look at them. Instead I was laughing at a joke my wife didn't make. I feigned complete indifference to their existence and their blockade. I bet that must have hurt more than any slap or verbal insult.
Old 31st May 2007, 14:18   #18
BHPian

Same thing happened to me once off wind tunnel road in bangalore. There's a narrow road that parallels the Airport wall. It's full of exposed manhole covers so you need to slalom quite a bit.

Anyway, one fine morning on my way to work this idiot in an omni (some sort of delivery van / courier service) blocks me off and starts gesticulating wildly for me to back up. I just locked the doors, turned the engine off and started reading the newspaper . Shoulda seen the look on the guys face - ultimately he had to back up and let me pass.
Old 31st May 2007, 14:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I bet that must have hurt more than any slap or verbal insult.
Samurai San, Now that is victory without unsheathing the sword!
Old 31st May 2007, 14:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After 5 minutes of complete inactivity from me, he finally withdrew and allowed me to move forward. As I was passing by, I delivered the ultimate insult. In my periphery vision I could sense that both the driver and the rear passenger waving and screaming at me through open windows. Since my windows were up like always, I couldn't hear them. And I didn't even look at them. Instead I was laughing at a joke my wife didn't make. I feigned complete indifference to their existence and their blockade. I bet that must have hurt more than any slap or verbal insult.
Samurai, Thats a nice way of slapping... ... i like it...

It happened to me few days back...in a jammed signal in Indiranagar... an old scooterist in front of me started to backout (he overshoot the signal a few yards) without even thinking that my car is just behind him and slowly hit my car... Funny thing is, he turns towards me and started to show me hand as if he was stationary and I have hit him from behind....WAH, "Chori aur upar se seena chori"... I thought Buddhe se kya ladoon....
I totally ignored him and behaved as if I am sunk in the FM song running in the car....

Looks like the old maan was in real tension...

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 31st May 2007 at 14:27.
Old 31st May 2007, 14:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Same thing happened to me once off wind tunnel road in bangalore. There's a narrow road that parallels the Airport wall. It's full of exposed manhole covers so you need to slalom quite a bit.

Anyway, one fine morning on my way to work this idiot in an omni (some sort of delivery van / courier service) blocks me off and starts gesticulating wildly for me to back up. I just locked the doors, turned the engine off and started reading the newspaper . Shoulda seen the look on the guys face - ultimately he had to back up and let me pass.
Yeah, me too have faced this, not once, but many a time..Once I switched off the car, came out and that guy had to reverse since he had no other go..I was blocking him as well!! I have faced these issues with when Call Center Cabs / delivery vans near airport only, usually.

OT: ajitkommini, u are put up in Vinayak Nagar? I am in 1st Main...a stones throw away from the arrival bay
Old 31st May 2007, 16:07   #22
BHPian

it happens buddy,thank god you are ok,but yea start preparing yourself its good for such situation as well as your health
Old 31st May 2007, 16:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I delivered the ultimate insult. In my periphery vision I could sense that both the driver and the rear passenger waving and screaming at me through open windows. Since my windows were up like always, I couldn't hear them. And I didn't even look at them. Instead I was laughing at a joke my wife didn't make. I feigned complete indifference to their existence and their blockade. I bet that must have hurt more than any slap or verbal insult.
Ahh.. the advantages of peripheral vision.

Well, How many have taken panga with an army truck driver?

Just a few days back, I was driving across a cantonment area on the way to the office. The cantonment people have placed barrels on the road so that only one vehicle can pass at a time. An army truck was approaching from the opp direction, so I stopped to let him pass.

He passes the barrels and then stops abrubtly. When I look up to see whats going on, he is wildly gesticulating at me, because he has to go up a narrow dirt road on my left !! Arrey, without any signal from him, am I supposed to dream up the fact that he has to go on the dirt road !! I just pulled up the hand brakes and just sat there till he cooled down and realised that imitating an ape wasn't going to get him anywhere.
Old 31st May 2007, 16:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

When will people learn that if they hit someone from behind its their mistake and not because someone else braked hard. One is supposed to maintain distance.

The other day an idiot on a motorcycle (with a lady pillion rider) was following our car very closely. The car in front of us suddenly braked and so did we and managed to barely avoid hitting the car in front. The guy on the motorcylce was talking on this cellphone and saw the cars braking at the very last moment and slammed his brakes. He did hit us (not hard enough to leave any dent on bumper) and started shouting. The guy got down from the motorcycle and came to hit my driver. At that point I got out and seeing two reasonably well built men, he backed off.

Road rage is very real in Bangalore. The worst part is that those who make mistakes are the ones who are getting physically aggressive in the first place.

Last edited by hondadude : 31st May 2007 at 16:48. Reason: corrected typos
Old 31st May 2007, 17:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Road rage is very real in Bangalore. The worst part is that those who make mistakes are the ones who are getting physically aggressive in the first place.
Absolutely right!
And this is what makes my blood boil with anger, if I commit a mistake, I instantly apologize and diffuse the situation, but some morons (esp Auto-wallahs, Cabbies etc) cause the mishap and then dare to shout at us, I also ensure they get their due back like what Kvish did today.
Old 31st May 2007, 20:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

A wheel spanner next to the handbrake might help sometime:P
Old 31st May 2007, 21:26   #27
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
Old 1st June 2007, 01:05   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Well, How many have taken panga with an army truck driver?
Don't do that buddy. Not with them the army fellows. Its because they do the unthinkable without a second thought. They take advantage of the fact that they can not be tried in a civil court and generally police is also afraid of them.

I live here in a cantonment area since last few years. I have seen at least 3 different bad accidents wherein a army truck killed a person. In all those occassions the army went nuts after that. They take the local police station hostage (after the driver and the truck is held back by the police). In the garb of investigation those military greens arrive alongwith the MP (military police) and seize the police station first. Then they terrorize the neighborhood by shutting down all the shops in the area. Or rather shops close down themselves. Thos guys catch hold of anyone on the road and takes them to the cantonment station as a "witness". Generally the madness lasts the whole day. Some shopkeepers have even been beaten black and blue by the MP and the greens.
Old 1st June 2007, 14:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

I too had a scrape with an auto today. Lousy ******* was going on the main road, and I was going to take a left turn into the main road (Raj Bhavan Road) from a side lane. He stopped his auto on the main road, looking for passengers from my lane. I honked angrily, as otherwise I would have to drive deep into the main road and then take a steep left--endangering my new car.
The auto pushed his auto a little forward, and as i was in the process of taking a left turn to the main road, watching out for traffic, the bas** stopped and his auto rolled back a bit, scraping the bottom of my left door.
I was furious and got out of the car to question him, he had a silly excuse--'looking out for passengers, sir'. I showed him the scratches and explained how such parking--for whatever reason--puts big cars at danger when turning into the main road, and left. The above views had an effect on me, else I would have bashed him.
Anyways, I am going on a long trip this weekend, and already have a couple of small dents to attend to in the 2nd free servicing due in mid June.
Thanks for your views, guys ! Do you think I should have been more aggressive ?
Old 1st June 2007, 17:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you think I should have been more aggressive ?
On a lighter note , not until someone pops a tooth outta you

Being aggressive doesnt really help. You think these retards care a damn to what has happened to your car?
I have got into the habit of keeping silent these days and turning a deaf year when some-one says something.

I must confess , that I havent been able to get over my habit of driving into vehicles coming in the wrong lane .
I have this quirk when I drive and its like a spawning instinct. I do it only at signals where there are no dividers.
Usual spot is Mekhri circle. I dont know how many of you guys have noticed this.
The road which leads from TV Tower to Mekhri Circle doesnt have a divider. Every other time you will find a moron parked his vehicle on the right side with only a few feet left for oncoming traffic to go through.

I simply do this , drive straight into the vehicle and block his way. Now he cant shout at me since he is on the wrong side.
I do this at every single instance and never spare the cabbies and auto drivers.

All hell broke loose once, when a cabbie tried to act smart by hurling abuses at me. I got out of my car and stood there, blocking the traffic behind me and dint budge to move an inch still the cop came and pulled over the cabbie.
Must be some kinda saddistic pleasure I derive out of doing this, but then some of these retards learn the hard way when embarassed in public.

Most Viewed