Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2007, 17:52   #16
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
hmmm... they have devised a way. there was an article a few weeks back in TOI on this. The traffic cops have now decided that they won't stop vehicles violating the traffic rules. The commisioner has said that the nos. will be noted down and fed into a challan system by the same evening. The challans will then be posted alongwith the postal cost to the registered address of the offender.

The commissioner says that if the challan returns undelivered or is lost (you do not turn up to pay) they will immediately flash the no. and details of the vehicle as a proclaimed offender. They say you will be treated at par with any runaway criminal now. Your vehicle will be impounded the next time and your RC book will also be taken away.
I doubt if this system will stand up to scrutiny in a court of law. I feel it can be legally challenged and struck down. It amounts to excessive harassment of possibly innocent road-users on the whims and fancies of traffic cops.

E.g. the cop can note down whatever number he feels like, he could make mistakes while noting down the number, etc. If there is some photographic evidence of the alleged offence, that is fine. I doubt if a court of law will accept just a noted-down number. Surely the cop has to at least provide further details of the vehicle to prove that he has not made a mistake in the number (e.g. "Imperial red Santro"). I doubt if our cops are literate enough or knowledgable enough about vehicles to be able to note down all these details accurately, including the registration number itself. Plus there may not be enough time for the cop to get a good look at the number/other details and he might just fill in these according to his whims.

Edit: Also note that this system will cause a huge headache when there is nobody at home and the alleged offender has gone to work. Of course the post office could send a note to the individual to collect the challan from the PO. But the alleged offender can deny receiving any such note; so the post office has to keep records, etc. And what if the person is out of town or travelling, etc. and there is nobody at home?

Last edited by rks : 1st June 2007 at 18:01.
Old 1st June 2007, 18:22   #17
Team-BHP Support

I received a summons for a car that I no longer own despite the new owner having transferred the ownership. This is only effective if the RTO data is accurate
Old 1st June 2007, 18:36   #18
rks
BANNED

And the owner of the car can deny that he was driving the vehicle when the alleged offense was committed. The onus will be on the police to prove that he was indeed driving; it is not incumbent upon the owner to keep a record of all those who might have been driving his vehicle.
Old 1st June 2007, 18:41   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I doubt if this system will stand up to scrutiny in a court of law. I feel it can be legally challenged and struck down. It amounts to excessive harassment of possibly innocent road-users on the whims and fancies of traffic cops.

E.g. the cop can note down whatever number he feels like, he could make mistakes while noting down the number, etc. If there is some photographic evidence of the alleged offence, that is fine. I doubt if a court of law will accept just a noted-down number. Surely the cop has to at least provide further details of the vehicle to prove that he has not made a mistake in the number (e.g. "Imperial red Santro"). I doubt if our cops are literate enough or knowledgable enough about vehicles to be able to note down all these details accurately, including the registration number itself. Plus there may not be enough time for the cop to get a good look at the number/other details and he might just fill in these according to his whims.

Edit: Also note that this system will cause a huge headache when there is nobody at home and the alleged offender has gone to work. Of course the post office could send a note to the individual to collect the challan from the PO. But the alleged offender can deny receiving any such note; so the post office has to keep records, etc. And what if the person is out of town or travelling, etc. and there is nobody at home?
I also thought as much. However only thing worries me. The attitude of the police worries me. As per the article the police says that their major aim is to make your life miserable so that people start being proactive. And this sounds true to me. I may go to the court and after innumerable appearances I may even win. But imagine the trouble the police would have put me through. In the meantime when the matter is subjudice I won't be able to drive as any further violations will land me up in newer soup when I am already trying to wriggle out of a sticky situation.
Old 2nd June 2007, 00:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Zappo, are you sure about this whole thing happening in Hyd.

Two months ago a cop in uniform delivered a notice at my door. It's written that i jumped a signal two months earlier at Punjagutta and am supposed to pay Rs.100 with in one week. Failing to pay, they will file a case against me. I went to police control room on a saturday morning and paid the money at the cash counter.
Old 2nd June 2007, 00:55   #21
BHPian

man... if these put half as much effort as this into effective traffic management, we wouldn't have had this much of choas on our roads.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
And yes, a day at the RTO means students like myself have to bunk colleges too
mclaren-
back in my college days, we used to look out for excuses to bunk college and the RTO was one of our favorites. But now, if we tell our Team lead that we are late because we had to go to the RTO or any other crap like that, they would give us a glaring look and then smile..... that smile usually means only one thing..... "You wait bugger... i'll take it out on your next appraisal!!"
Old 2nd June 2007, 01:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

I've always had good experiences at the Ind'nagar RTO, even when I did the donkey work myself. Was invited to sit down and share sweets with one of the officials while he did my paperwork. And this one tiy me there was an error, they rectified it in 10 mins, while I was anticipating a come-back-later story. I guess I've been lucky *crosses fingers and touches wood*

My suggestion: Go to Philip's driving school, in the ground floor of the RTO building. They will do all this stuff for you. They're more expensive than the regular agents, but they're thorough and efficient.
Old 2nd June 2007, 01:25   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Zappo, are you sure about this whole thing happening in Hyd.

Two months ago a cop in uniform delivered a notice at my door. It's written that i jumped a signal two months earlier at Punjagutta and am supposed to pay Rs.100 with in one week. Failing to pay, they will file a case against me. I went to police control room on a saturday morning and paid the money at the cash counter.
Well it was there a couple of weeks back in TOI. I think some new guy has taken over from Mr Khan as the traffic commisioner and he seems to have such ideas. He was very specific that he does not want a repeat of past scenarios where police try to catch hold of the offenders and they try to wriggle away. In the process sometimes things turned nasty. He says that from now on they will just note down the numbers and feed it into the system. From then on the process begins.

I do not know how much of it they actually intend to implement but your case seems to suggest that they have started tracing people from their vehicle numbers. This they never used to do till date.

One thing they seemed very steadfast on was about the grieve they will bring to people who do not update their addresses with the RTA. And that is worrisome. Just imagine the problems if I have to get it done for a bike and a car. At least 1 day is shot. Maybe 2 Even if it costs some money (within reasonable limits) I am willing to spend that. I do not want a scenario where a cop catches me and shows my number hotlisted as a runaway offender and then siezes my RC book. That will mean unending series of problems. With cops and lawyers (I am suffering one such moron already because of which I am thinking of changing house) once you get entangled you just keep going down an unending abyss.

P.S. : In your case the cop came to deliver the challan? The article said that they have tied up with the postal dept to deliver the challan and have paid 2 lakhs as advance payments. They intend to add the postal expenses to the fine that the 'offender' is supposed to pay.

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd June 2007 at 01:30.
Old 2nd June 2007, 01:29   #24
BHPian

My advise too. Go through a driving school - they will treat you well and get the job done in the promised time.

I know of couple of my friends who were denied a 2 wheeler driving license over 3 times just because they did not pay up - all this while they have watched newbies who cannot even place a bike stand properly walk away with pride receiving a pass mark after paying up

Irrespective of what I feel and how much I hate the corrupt system, apart from having no time to go back over and over again, I am at least happy that there is one way through which it works. It is really sad - what would folks who do not have that much money to spare would do?
Old 2nd June 2007, 03:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
My advise too. Go through a driving school - they will treat you well and get the job done in the promised time.
Ok, I meant go to them for this sort of paperwork. Registration change, taxes etc. Please learn to drive properly, or you may encounter an angry TBHPian with a jack/spanner/Maglite/gutting knife/something very heavy approaching you at high speed.
Old 2nd June 2007, 10:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
My suggestion: Go to Philip's driving school, in the ground floor of the RTO building. They will do all this stuff for you. They're more expensive than the regular agents, but they're thorough and efficient.
Any suggestions for someone in/near Jayanagar RTO
Old 2nd June 2007, 11:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well call me if you guys need help with that. I know the next legal heir of this place. My close pal , cant reveal his name here though..

Quote:
Any suggestions for someone in/near Jayanagar RTO
Dude 1st thing when you head to a RTO is to make sure you don't fall prey to any of those desperately waiting touts.

Some of the guys(agents) do their work promptly.Not all are rotten mangoes, just need to make sure you find the right person.

Honestly I would suggest that you find a renowned driving school in your area or the RTO and its worth every penny that you pay them for the work.

And ben that was a nasty experience man. If I were in your place I would sure done something even worse.You have a lot of patience.
Old 2nd June 2007, 13:16   #28
BHPian

Rto ?

Well i have payed 5 visits to RTO office in bangalore and always i paid bribe to get the work done. if i do not pay then they will not do work in time and will put some or other hurdles.... i tried for 7 hours first day to get my vehicle transferred on other name but i wasnt able to get it done, they had given so many excuses. But on my fren's suggestion i gave that same work to an agent he got it done in two hours with out any challenge
Old 2nd June 2007, 19:46   #29
BHPian

It is very sad to expirience the way Govt Orgs works. They just dont care about public/customers because their jobs are well secured and their salary (though less when compared to jobs in private orgs) is almost fixed and has nothing to do with their ratings and performance. I can only hope things will change gradually with newer generations taking up their job more seriously. The best example is how SBI and few other Govt Undertaking Nationalised Banks are attempting to compete with private Banks.

BTW, I too want to change the RC book address for my Bike. I was earlier staying in rented house in BTM Layout (under Jayanagar RTO, KA-05) and now I am staying near Indiranagar (under Indiranagar RTO, KA-03). I have moved from BTM to Indiranagar a year back but didnt change the address in the RC Book. Now I realize that I should do it asap.

Can you please advice me on what all things I need and what is the proceedure to make this address change in the RC book?

Appreciate your reply.
Old 2nd June 2007, 20:07   #30
BHPian

rks-

As owner of property - car / bike here, it is his / her responsibility to ensure that it is legally used. When a user is in possession of somebody's property, it means that the user has taken with the owner's consent or property was stolen. This is legal angle and logical too. Just give it a thought. Otherwise, anybody could use anybody's property and do whatever they want and get away with it... How, where and on whom will the law enforcement agency fix the resposibility ? The user shies away from the responsibility and the owner - if he feels that it is not incumbent upon him to have the burden of proof and thus reasoning shies away, what does the law enforcement agency do ? That's the reason behind fixing the responsibility on the owner, not to harass somebody. The buck stops with the owner and he is accountable for his property.

-HARSHAVARDHAN

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks