Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2007, 21:28   #31
LLL
BHPian

similar experience in america

i had to get my car re-registered in NJ as i was moving to NJ from NY.

Went o DMV with all the documentation mentioned in their website. They looked at my I797 form from INS & passport/visa and say they need more documents.

I told them i have a visa stamped in my PP, i am showing them INS form..there are no other docs. If they want they can call INS..then some other officer intervened. Got the car re-registered finally but had to waste 1/2 a day.
Old 2nd June 2007, 23:49   #32
BHPian

went to the RTO yesterday to collect my documents (as per the date mentioned in the token they had given me). they told me to go back today as they couldnt work because there was no electricity!! It's like the excuse we used to give back in primary school that my dog ate me homework paper!! Anyways, I didnt take it lying down and I told them to give me in writing that they couldnt deliver the papers because there was no electricity. then the guy went to Mr Hawaian shirt and that chap gave me a person assurance that I would get it today and by the grace of God, I got the papers when I went there today. I hope that's the end of my RTO nightmare for the near future! Just dont know when these guys will improve.
Old 4th June 2007, 10:00   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
And ben that was a nasty experience man. If I were in your place I would sure done something even worse.You have a lot of patience.
Sure was, Riju. Reason i didnt actually do anything was because they had my money with them, and also had knowledge of my residential address. They have nothing to lose, but then me, newly married, starting a new life in a new city had a lot to lose.

Regarding Philips driving school, if only i had known earlier.
Run by Mallus, right?
Old 4th June 2007, 12:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
hmmm... they have devised a way. there was an article a few weeks back in TOI on this. The traffic cops have now decided that they won't stop vehicles violating the traffic rules. The commisioner has said that the nos. will be noted down and fed into a challan system by the same evening. The challans will then be posted alongwith the postal cost to the registered address of the offender.

The commissioner says that if the challan returns undelivered or is lost (you do not turn up to pay) they will immediately flash the no. and details of the vehicle as a proclaimed offender. They say you will be treated at par with any runaway criminal now. Your vehicle will be impounded the next time and your RC book will also be taken away.

If you think your ordeal ends with paying the fine it does not. They have suggested that the RTOs will not be given any clearance by the police to make changes in any detail of the RC book. So you will go and pay the fine but won't be able to make a change in your RC book. The police after getting the fine-paid comfirmation will once again post the RC book to your address (old!!!). They say inevitably it will either be lost or come back unreturned. If it returns they will then allow you to come to the police station and collect it after paying another hefty fine. If it gets lost then you are the sufferer as you were callous enough not to change the address earlier.

By the way if you are caught in the intervening period driving without the license (police will be instructed to be on the lookout for the vehicle in the 1st month) your vehicle will be impounded and a case of stolen vehicle will be launched against you and the onus will be on you to prove in the court that the vehicle indeed belongs to you and is not stolen.

Howzzat? No wonder I am worried sick about changing house
Just send an email to the RTA with all your doubts (Welcome To TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRAPRADESH - INDIA) about this new regulation.

Before they can actually implement this, they have to issue a Govt Order or change the AP Motor Vehicle Act itself. They can not decide on their whim and fancy on what and how the fine need to be collected.

I had a simple solution to my AP RTA problems. I didnt bother with the low level chelas/touts/inspectors and directly approached the RTO at the very first instance. When RTO talked rubbish, I complained to the Transport Commisioner, Govt of AP.... Problem solved
Old 4th June 2007, 14:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding Philips driving school, if only i had known earlier.
Run by Mallus, right?
Yeah thats right. Going through a driving school sure saves the headache and the unwanted rise in BP.
Old 6th June 2007, 02:18   #36
BHPian

All my experiences at Bangalore Jayanagar RTO right from the time I applied for my LL 14 years ago to my trip two months ago for my IDP has been simple and straight forward. I've never spent more than 1 hr to get my things done (except the DL test wait) and I've never paid any bribe. Reading all the posts here, makes me feel like I've been real lucky.

One observation I made while at the RTO... I get the correct response from the officials if I speak to them in Kannada. I might be wrong, but thats my observation. If any of you can speak the local language then give it a shot... it works at most Govt. places!!
Old 6th June 2007, 10:00   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One observation I made while at the RTO... I get the correct response from the officials if I speak to them in Kannada. I might be wrong, but thats my observation. If any of you can speak the local language then give it a shot... it works at most Govt. places!!
Madhav, thats where most of us lose out on. Cant help it though.
Old 6th June 2007, 20:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Might be true, but I met a chap who is a bangalorean in the RTO during my ordeal and he too was facing a lot of problems with the officials.... so i guess you were plain lucky and nothing else!! hehehehe...
Old 6th June 2007, 20:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

times have changed, madhav is talking about 14 years ago, 1993 !!!
Old 7th June 2007, 12:18   #40
HKP
BHPian

Hi

The Only good way of getting things done with Indiranagar RTO is through agents. Approach the driving school on the same building and they will guide you. You can see real professional people here!!

They will do it really fast and you can see the same old @$$ %()!$ of this RTO office treating you with respect and dignity.

take care//
Old 7th June 2007, 16:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Jayanagar RTO is better. Got DL and all transfers done there. I have had 4 interactions with them and has been very peaceful and at a good pace (I do not say it was quick or fast).
Old 7th June 2007, 20:26   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
times have changed, madhav is talking about 14 years ago, 1993 !!!
No I'm talking about right from 1993 to Apr 2007. I've had numerous trips to the RTO and I've managed to get everything done without any help from agents or greasing hands. You can say that whatever happened with me might be one-off... but it has happened way too many times to be written off as an one-off incident. Thats the reason I tried looking for some explanation and what I found (obviously) was the response one gets by speaking the local language!
Old 7th September 2010, 08:06   #43
BANNED

Contact Details !!

Hi,
Local Language is always an added advantage.

However, I would really appreciate it if any could share Reliable Contact Details inside RTO or even a Reliable Agent.
Old 7th September 2010, 09:08   #44
BHPian

Street experiences aren't read by me for posts like these. Why? They make my blood boil when I see that almost nothing can be done properly in our country. Harrowing time at the RTO, accidents because of morons who can't even hold their steering wheel properly, bad roads, so on and so forth I shudder to think whenever I have to deal with any govt. offices

I've had my fair share of trouble with Rajajinagar RTO. Those buggers are downright lazy! They can also come up with the lamest of excuses for not giving you your documents. It's either "server down saar" or "current illa saar"(no electricity). Was flunked by them twice in the 2 wheeler test because............. I can ride well and didn't want to grease their palms. I can agree with Madhav. Jayanagar RTO was THE most corrupt govt. office. Almost a decade earlier, you could simply walk in to Jayanagar RTO and get your DL done after having a small dent in your wallet for the agent. After the "crackdown" by the govt, it's much more better now(why would anyone want to give away their cut of bribe to another "crackdown"?)

Karnataka will continue to be the most corrupt state, next to Bihar of course because we will continue to grease the palms of the babus
Old 7th September 2010, 10:02   #45
BHPian

I have had my brush with both Jayanagar and Koramangala RTOs. Jayanagar was quiet peaceful although I found out to my horror that they have transferred my files to Electronic City RTO in 2006 for my car registered with Jayanagar RTO in 2005. I submit application for hypothication removal, by paying for smart card and the fee for hypothication removal. After 15 days when I did not get the smart card went to their office and then they told me that the file has been transferred and I should go to Electronic city office. Did not have to bribe any body and I would have got my smart card if the transfer has not happened. Anyway I lost 15 days and four hours of my time.

That day I goto Electronic City RTO. It was already 3:30 PM. The Superintendent refused to take my application. But I went to the PRO and asked him what to do, as I already had paid the fees at Jayanagar and they have given me a stamped receipt. The PRO signed in green ink and asked me to go see the Superintendent again. This time the Supt took the form without any murmur and said I should get the RC Book mailed back to me in 10 days. Am waiting for that but I guess it will come. Now my next job is to take a NOC from them and endorse change of address in the RC book. An ECity does not issue smart cards it seems. So I may have to pay again at Koramangala RTO.

When I see such a disconnect between the RTO offices with in the city itself making people to run from one office to another for a simple task, how can we even think about centralizing this across the state? Forget about the country!! We still live in archaic british era of divide and rule.

Nainar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks