Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2022, 09:41   #31
BHPian

Re: Glare protection from oncoming headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeshSrini View Post
Would recommend tailgating a bigger vehicle at a safe distance.
This has worked very well for me too! I always follow a bigger vehicle leaving a safe distance on undivided roads during night long drives. First, it obviously helps to avoid the glare from the opposite direction and 2nd, its stress free as the bigger vehicles wont drive beyond 60-70 kmph which results in lower stress levels and better mileage as well
karthikd21 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 11:26   #32
BHPian

I've also gone through the forum with posts from 2012 about UV films but heat protection is not a concern

Thanks in advance!

Films are a complete no in Chandigarh. When i got CR70 on front windshield, 3M person clearly told me Chandigarh and major cities of Punjab are the only places where you can get caught, will be a headache everyday. But it does helps a lot with glare and to some extent with insulating noise and vibration also.
BhayanaV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 11:54   #33
BHPian

Guess it is a problem we all are facing.

I for one always lower my eyes and focus it only on the front where my car beam falls. The best way to avoid a glare is to look away from it!

Occasional breaks from driving, a simple eye drop kile ikul etc help reduce stress as well. But for the immediate moment, when you can sense the car in front of you driving on high beam, lower your glaze.
Old 10th January 2022, 13:01   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinkamath4657 View Post
7. Polarized glasses are a blessing specifically during the day. They act by making the light rays come streamlined and reduce glare a lot. Never use ray ban at night but have heard you do get polarized eye glasses abroad which cost a lot. Would be interesting to hear some reviews.
Polarizer is what we are familiar with cameras and photography equipment, it cuts reflections and it also cuts a good amount of light entering the camera.

So it is a filter that way.

On the roads, you need to be able to see everything, especially reflections be it day or night.

My recommendation is to use a non polarized sunglass during the day and nothing in the night except for those who need prescription glasses, those need to be non-polarized as clear a glass as it can be.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 14:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Another solution i have had luck with.
How old is your car? In my case the glare was really from all the scratches on the windshield. I tried driving a friend's new car at night and realised there was not much glare. That's when i realised the issue was with the car. Try that, and if that's the issue, get a new windshield
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 14:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Polarizer is what we are familiar with cameras and photography equipment, it cuts reflections and it also cuts a good amount of light entering the camera.

So it is a filter that way.

On the roads, you need to be able to see everything, especially reflections be it day or night.

My recommendation is to use a non polarized sunglass during the day and nothing in the night except for those who need prescription glasses, those need to be non-polarized as clear a glass as it can be.
I for sure dont recommend any sort of filters or shades while driving at night but polarized prescription sunglasses make the day time drive such a comfort. Specifically when the noon sunlight hits on the glazed dashboard and reflects on the windshield.
I have become a fan of the carl zeiss drive safe lens and would whole heartedly recommend in to my fellow people. Lenskart, specsmaker have not at all been upto the mark for my glare needs atleast. But i would repeatedly stress to get your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist before taking any decisions.. a lot changes in our body as we age.
Good luck
Old 10th January 2022, 15:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Upon viewing the link again, I got another recommendation from Amazon.in for a similar product,

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09H32W8ZG/...D95QYR8283GDBP

These are a pair of Yellow and Black Glasses for night and Day Driving respectively. The Greyish Black ones have UV Protection too, as per the advertisement.

Priced at Rs.189 for a pair, it's a cheap set of wear one for un-spectacled and spectacled people.

Images from the Amazon.in link above attached:

Glare protection from oncoming headlights-screenshot_20220110151536848_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Glare protection from oncoming headlights-screenshot_20220110151541061_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Glare protection from oncoming headlights-screenshot_20220110151543918_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Glare protection from oncoming headlights-screenshot_20220110151546972_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Glare protection from oncoming headlights-screenshot_20220110151549315_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 07:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Friend, I would really request you to try polarized sunglasses once when you are facing sun. It makes a hell lot of difference in glare reduction. Plus, it gives much less strain to the eyes.
I was skeptical initially until I tried 'polarized sunglass attachment' with my spectacles. I bought this attachment from nearby shop. (Note that I don't have liberty to use usual Sunglass due to my spectacles.).
Similar product link is given below.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B092DN53H1/...XEH3SKYDMM32WK

Also note that I suffer from Migraine headache when I drive in sun. This type of attachment has really reduced occurrences of headache for me.
Old 11th January 2022, 07:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I have faced this issue while night driving as well.
There is a good product review and discussion on the same subject in this thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...fe-review.html (Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review)

Hope it helps!!

Rachit
I have used these drive safe lens and still using them. I tend to get headaches while driving in the afternoon due to sun's brightness, drive safe helps a bit there too. It was suggested by Lawrence and Mayo's in-store doctor and I'm totally satisfied with it.

Personally I will recommend trying it. Please buy them from a well known dealer/opticals.
Old 14th January 2022, 08:20   #40
BHPian

Anyone tried using a day and night glass for driving?

Theoretically, the photochromic lens should help during day time and anti-glare should help during night time.

Not sure whether photochromic + anti-glare combination is available and how much it helps during both day and night driving.
Old 14th January 2022, 14:13   #41

My friend recently had a rainwater repellant coating done to his old Alto's windshield. Says that worked against the opposite high beam lights spreading on the windshield. So visibility is better. Although it stays effective for 4-6 months only. Depends on how many times you use the wipers
Ax0TD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 00:24   #42

Sharing a personal experience. I have a humble 800 at home, in which, the glare was too much even while driving within the city at night.
We realised that the windshield had developed micro scratches, almost invisible during the day, but really troublesome during the nights.
Two things helped:
1. Installed a new windshield (worked like magic)
2. Asked the cleaning boy to skip cleaning the windshield and rear glass while cleaning the car, and started using colin and hand wiper to clean the glass.
The glare is gone and the car is now back in use for short market runs of the evening.
RS01 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 12:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin@y View Post

Theoretically, the photochromic lens should help during day time and anti-glare should help during night time.

Not sure whether photochromic + anti-glare combination is available and how much it helps during both day and night driving.
I have photochromatic glasses and frankly, you will not see any tinting when you are inside the car. I believe those lens need UV to change shade which works when you are outside the car. Drivesafe with Photochromatic is available, but it was 11K when I enquired 2 years back.

I would still choose drivesafe first and then the rest. There is something about drivesafe which really works in the real world.
ramharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 14:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

You will need Polarized glasses. True Polarized glass itself sets you back by Rs 10,000. Plus frame. There are N number of fakes out there so need to be careful
Quote:
Anyone tried using a day and night glass for driving? Theoretically, the photochromic lens should help during day time and anti-glare should help during night time. Not sure whether photochromic + anti-glare combination is available and how much it helps during both day and night driving.
Old 8th February 2022, 02:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Yes this combination is readily available. I have been using photochromatic + anti-glare glasses for over a decade now. They are definitely better than no glasses (I wear daily disposable contacts too at times) when it comes to high beam glare but the difference is marginal. My glasses are from Essilor with Crizal anti glare coating and they cost me close to 40k. They have been great for working on the laptop for long hours. They are also super in the sun and can pass off as proper sunglasses. However they are NOT that great with glare from a high beam situation at night. Hence I prefer to minimize my night driving rather than risk an accident due to insufficient visibility of the road ahead.
Neversaygbye is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks