Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2022, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Tracing the owner of an abandoned car

Hi Folks,

About a year back a nice looking car - In a decent condition with no sign of accident or anything, gets parked roadside in our locality.

Tracing the owner of an abandoned car-blue-car-1.jpeg

Call it unusual but I see cars like small babies and an object with its own personality and identity, something which must be treated with dignity

I noticed when this car didn't move the 2nd or 3rd day from the location and the place of parking wasn't next or any shop or resident.

Blue is my favourite colour and Chevy beat is one of the cars my extended family-owned and I absolutely loved it,

The cocktail of two had my attention in the first meeting

The time passed, it had been almost 30 days and the car remained there, I looked at the car from my balcony almost every day talking to my wife - Someone must be missing this car!

Sounds unusual but as if the car was looking at me with some expectations!

This was the time when the lockdown happened - Couldn't go near to the car and earlier I couldn't make a note of the registration number.

once lockdown was lifted I went to the car and took a couple of pics:

Tracing the owner of an abandoned car-blue-car-2.jpeg

Sent the pics with details to the Bangalore police through Twitter - but till day there hasn't been any response from them

Tracing the owner of an abandoned car-screenshot-20220128-11.13.54-am.png

Tracing the owner of an abandoned car-screenshot-20220128-11.14.08-am.png

Tracing the owner of an abandoned car-screenshot-20220128-11.14.17-am.png

Time passed and I thought since the number is of Maharashtra (thane) why not the state police of Maharashtra be contacted - guess what I did that too

Tracing the owner of an abandoned car-screenshot-20220128-11.13.21-am.png

No response from them too

Time flies - The road was getting widened and construction contractors ( my guess) moved the car down the road which is covered in thick grass now

In all this time - The car had lost wheels, glasses broken etc

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Car 2.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	811.1 KB
ID:	2265953

Till today, I believe someone would have been missing this car somewhere!

@Team-bhp Folks, - is there a way we use our expertise and network to trace the owner of this sweet car and help this car reunite with its companion

isn't this car deserve better treatment
Attached Thumbnails
Tracing the owner of an abandoned car-screenshot-20220128-11.12.43-am.png  

Last edited by Arayan5614 : 28th January 2022 at 11:36. Reason: Grammar correction
Arayan5614 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 11:38   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Tracing the owner of an abandoned car

Abandoned cars a dime a dozen. I have seen a silver ciaz stand in the same spot for 3 years in front of a building. Various reasons why they could be abandoned

1. Accident
2. No insurance
3. Mis-used vehicle
4. Stolen.

You have rightly reached out to Karnataka and Maharashtra police. I dont think you can do anything further.

P.S: For the abandoned Ciaz, informed the local beat constable but nothing happened.
bharanidharang is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 15:03   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Abandoned cars a dime a dozen. I have seen a silver ciaz stand in the same spot for 3 years in front of a building. Various reasons why they could be abandoned

1. Accident
2. No insurance
3. Mis-used vehicle
4. Stolen.

You have rightly reached out to Karnataka and Maharashtra police. I dont think you can do anything further.

P.S: For the abandoned Ciaz, informed the local beat constable but nothing happened.
Recently came across a post here on team bhp, where someone was able to trace back a long lost Royal Enfield

Reading this post I decided to share about this abandoned car

I'm not too sure how difficult it is to trace backa car owner details

Also is it possible to adopt abandoned cars legally here in India?
Arayan5614 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 15:11   #4
BHPian

Hi Arayan5614,
Please see attached screen shot of vehicle owner info when searched from CarInfo App. Hope this helps in finding out the real owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Tracing the owner of an abandoned car-screenshot_2022_0128_123157.jpg  

Tracing the owner of an abandoned car-screenshot_2022_0128_123209.jpg  

Tracing the owner of an abandoned car-screenshot_2022_0128_123224.jpg  

Tracing the owner of an abandoned car-screenshot_2022_0128_123234.jpg  

Tracing the owner of an abandoned car-screenshot_2022_0128_123244.jpg  

daredemon is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 16:59   #5
BHPian

One reason of abandoning the Cars is Repairs. Sometimes the cost of Repairs required far exceeds the Market Price of the Car. Further, the owner is so busy minting money in his line of business that he has no time to spare to even update documents, find buyer and get rid of it.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 21:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredemon View Post
Hi Arayan5614,
Please see attached screen shot of vehicle owner info when searched from CarInfo App. Hope this helps in finding out the real owner.
Thanks daredemon! This helps get some additional info, the search goes on!
Old 30th January 2022, 10:15   #7
BANNED

This happened with me too, an orange colors Mitsubishi Lancer was parked right in front of my house, didn't care because many people park their cars in front of my house, 3 months passed and there was no sign of the owner. Contacted the police, they said they will arrange a tow truck, till date I am waiting for it.
Meanwhile BBMP was laying tar on our road, we had to move the Lancer, surprisingly the door was unlocked, some of us moved it away. It stayed there for another 1 month when suddenly it vanished. Our security guard was telling that one couple came at the middle of the night and took the Lancer away.
After that I saw that car many times in RT Nagar, that was the last time I saw it.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 15:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
This happened with me too, an orange colors Mitsubishi Lancer was parked right in front of my house, didn't care because many people park their cars in front of my house, 3 months passed and there was no sign of the owner. Contacted the police, they said they will arrange a tow truck, till date I am waiting for it.
Meanwhile BBMP was laying tar on our road, we had to move the Lancer, surprisingly the door was unlocked, some of us moved it away. It stayed there for another 1 month when suddenly it vanished. Our security guard was telling that one couple came at the middle of the night and took the Lancer away.
After that I saw that car many times in RT Nagar, that was the last time I saw it.
Curious cases of abandoned cars interesting incident though
Old 30th January 2022, 15:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Arayan5614, a way to check who the owner his or atleast how long the car has been in Bangalore would be to simply find out the number of Challans this car has through the system (if Bangalore has one). Pop open the hood and you'll have the VIN and you can then figure out how long this car might've possibly been in Bangalore for.

If it's had challans years ago as well, this might be just abandoned. However, if there are only recent challans, a high possibility is that this car is stolen.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 30th January 2022 at 15:50.
akash_v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 16:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Today, I am once again feeling really proud to be part of this community. Looking at some abandoned car in some corner of the town, one gets trigger to unite the car with owner. People join hands to find out the owner through all possible means and with a committed mind, finds out the owner.

This is the metaphor of humanity and personification of car lovers

I know this is off topic, but still couldn't resist from posting my heart felt gratitude to all of you.

Great going brothers. Curious to see how this thread ends. All the best to all of you who put the efforts in uniting the car with owner.

Last edited by gkveda : 30th January 2022 at 17:02.
gkveda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 22:21   #11
Team-BHP Support

Tracing the owner of an abandoned car-dbf0e3acac064ce896b9498507af2875.jpeg

I had this relic dumped opposite me. It belonged to someone in the opposite apartment. It was registered in SUN Microsystems which is now defunct. It was in regular use but I guess the owner never bothered to get papers sorted and then the company got dissolved.

It gathered dust. We complained to the apartment where the owner was resident. A branch fell on it and then the interiors started getting a life of its own. Tyres got deflated.

It got towed for tarring the road and then was put back.

I finally worked with the RWA and we spoke the the local traffic sub-inspector who was overseeing traffic at the major junction near me. She took my written complaint. Process involves tracing the owner. I don’t know what happened but about a month or two later, the car disappeared.

My suggestion is that you find the local traffic police station and register a complaint. Work with a RWA if one exists.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 01:14   #12
BHPian

I too everyday see an abandoned Grand Vitara. The car is MH registered and is lying there for the past 3 months or so. It seems to be in a decent condition but the poor thing has lost it's taillights recently and the windshield has cracked too.
It's sad to see cars like these abandoned on the road side, wish someone would buy it and restore it to it's former glory.
Are there any ways these cars can be bought by somebody else?
I have no plans to buy it but this question just crossed my mind.
Would like to see what others have to say.
Old 31st January 2022, 11:21   #13
BHPian

Lot many of these cars would be stolen ones, probably the thieves couldn't dispose them off due to some reason. Owner got insurance claim, so they are not bothered. Even otherwise also police would rarely do any efforts to trace the owners of these cars. Know a couple of cases wherein owners found their stolen cars dumped in police grounds (with complete number plates) but no one ever contacted them.
Old 31st January 2022, 16:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV17 View Post
Are there any ways these cars can be bought by somebody else?
I have no plans to buy it but this question just crossed my mind.
Would like to see what others have to say.
Not unless the titles are clear I guess. What is most risky is, what if the vehicle was used for any criminal purpose and abandoned on purpose?
vasanthn21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 13:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tracing the owner of an abandoned car

I think this thread is dangerously moving to snooping or fishing category. Being careful about abandoned car is one thing, but finding out the possible owner and digging out his facebook and linkedin profiles is bit worrying. You may try to reach him in private if you feel so, but what's the point of putting up his social media profiles on a forum?

There are discussions that the vehicle's repairs could be too costly, or it could be used for criminal activities etc. In isolation, they would be okay, but when you are putting a face and a name to the possible owner along with the means to identify him publicaly, it is worrying.

Mods, please take note and intervene if necessary.
ani_meher is offline   (28) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks