Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2007, 22:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear that Suman..!! Sheer Bad Luck..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Dont they have an instalment scheme
No, only the three options mentioned by Suman. license/fine/car gets towed..

I know sometimes ppl dont carry this much money in their pocket..My friend was in a similar situation once then he had to take an auto to a ATM n get the money for these buggers...
Old 5th June 2007, 23:11   #32
Mav
BHPian

Sad to know about the silly fine.
You might want to make your car invisible to cops using one of radar scramblers. Don't know if they are legal in India.

Read further (Haven't used any of them my self but have heard about these)
How to make your car invisible to radar and laser - Brief Article - Evaluation Entrepreneur - Find Articles
Radar Detectors | Radar Scramblers - Rocky Mountain Radar Official Website
Speed Radar Defeater
How to make your car invisible to radar and laser.(Brief
Old 5th June 2007, 23:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

The only freedom we enjoy in India compared to teh west is now being taken away..all this at a time when roads are getting better. Sad!
I hope speed limits are realistic and are imposed in the right spirit.

Now imagine this, a village guy driving an old Rajdoot in the same situation. Will they still fine him and what are the chances he'll have 900 bucks in his pocket. Nice shiny expensive car and they'll switch on their radars like hunters waiting for deer.
Old 6th June 2007, 00:20   #34
BHPian

The only time I got caught in the speed trap if one can call these, on the DND flyway returning to delhi, just at the end of the flyway. Thats were they camp mostly on weekends btw. Had to shell out Rs 400/-. Found it all rather amusing. My first and only speed ticket till date!

This was some 4 months back. Speed limit on dnd is 80kmph btw.
Old 6th June 2007, 01:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

another problem, they don't display speed limits effectively on the road. oh wait a minute, the pani puri waala uses it to dry his pani filter.
Old 6th June 2007, 09:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
If you were caught for a traffic offence previously you could get away by paying 100 or even 50 Rs... now they wont budge below 200-300 Rs.
Absolutely correct E_T; Finneyp, this is the crux of the matter - you will no longer get away by paying 100 Rs - if the fine levels have been doubled, so have the "grease the palm" levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The only freedom we enjoy in India compared to teh west is now being taken away..all this at a time when roads are getting better. Sad!
I hope speed limits are realistic and are imposed in the right spirit.
Yes, that's what makes it frustrating. If the idea is actually to discipline people, they should be at the places where there is rampant dangerous driving & overspeeding going on - but they are never there. Here the idea is not to tackle the root of the problem but to make a quick buck in the early morning hours while hiding behind bushes or trees - I mean, in daytime hours, this place is so congested that you cannot do more than 20/30 kmph. They are making expressways - the GORGEOUS one on NH8 - and imposing 50 kmph restrictions there - whats the point!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Now imagine this, a village guy driving an old Rajdoot in the same situation. Will they still fine him and what are the chances he'll have 900 bucks in his pocket. Nice shiny expensive car and they'll switch on their radars like hunters waiting for deer.
Spot on! They don't even bother using their guns on the buses - while I was held up yesterday, there was this Army school bus that shot past, he was DEFINITELY doing more than 50 kmph but they didn't even take a second look. And why a village guy on a Rajdoot - lets take our own friendly neighbourhood milkmen on their shiny machines, even they get away (old village ties I guess!).

I normally do not carry too much cash either so I may have had to give up my licence (and believe me, its one hell of a task getting it back from the court) - I was lucky my wallet was loaded yesterday morning ....or maybe unlucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Sad to know about the silly fine.
You might want to make your car invisible to cops using one of radar scramblers. Don't know if they are legal in India.
Well, the guys here use the instant on radar guns & lasers so if you are the first one in their path, you get nabbed anyway; its only if they have it on for a while that you are likely to detect them I think (experts in radar evasion, please comment)

GD, that was hilarious
Old 6th June 2007, 09:44   #37
BHPian

I am just wondering do we have a rule to fine for slow moving traffic too?In that case they may need to fine all the bullock carts, cycle fellows etc.
Old 6th June 2007, 10:12   #38
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of overspeeding and traffic offences, how do the cops in Bangalore plan to go about using their Blackberrys'? In Bangalore if they decide to have radars on the ORR, they are sure to catch quite a few. But then again, if they dont bother to fine the speeding cabbies i dont see the point in the whole exercise. Latest addition to this clan are the speeding Swaraj Mazda buses.

OFF_TOPIC : Mcl, were u somewhere near MG Road last evening around 6:30-7 ish? Think i saw ur car, but not sure.
Old 6th June 2007, 10:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
But 67 kmph - MY BLASTED LUCK!!!!
Funny, but I got radared doing 67 on the Calicut Byepass on one of my trips back from Bangalore too. Exactly 67.

Got down and asked the cops why they werent stopping the maniac bus drivers who were definitely not doing 60 or below. Made them stop at least 6-7 buses before I paid my fine.
Old 6th June 2007, 10:26   #40
Team-BHP Support

Speed limit for Buses is 40 in Delhi, and they are always above 50. Cops never stop those. Good you forced them to challan buses
Old 6th June 2007, 10:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Ahh, not so fond memories of my first fine are brought back. Was fined for doing 65 in a 50 kmph zone. It was 400 at the time. The worst thing about the incident was that it ocuured just opposite my college. Was running late for class so didnt even bother arguing with the cops. But i did go and see the pic of my car with the speed it was doing at the time.

Now that they have started punching the licenses in Delhi, do all of you still carry your original or coloured photocopy?
Old 6th June 2007, 10:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Good question Deeps..I carry my original but am thinking of getting another licence made from Benares. I know, it is a fraud but then the challaning system in itself is fraud. So do fraud to beat fraud...!!!

No, I'm not propounding this theory but have no option. BTW, I'm a very safe driver and drive within rules. Haven't been challaned even once for violating or breaking traffic rules in my 30 yrs of driving, except when I was challaned 100 rs for having dark tint on my Safari 2 yrs back at the Mahaveer Jain Murti near Qutub Minar..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Now that they have started punching the licenses in Delhi, do all of you still carry your original or coloured photocopy?
Old 6th June 2007, 11:09   #43
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
OFF_TOPIC : Mcl, were u somewhere near MG Road last evening around 6:30-7 ish? Think i saw ur car, but not sure.
Nope. Was sitting at home the whole while. And my car isn't even in town. Its in coimby. Yes, I do hear a lot about this other car. Apparently he is copying almost everything on my car. Same alloys, same coloured tints. I am told perhaps similar stickers too. So anyone who spots a silver baleno with black alloys going berserk on the streets do keep it in mind thats its not me and people should stop calling me a liar saying I am at places I am not . And benny you are not the first one.
Old 6th June 2007, 11:16   #44
BHPian

Isnt there a rule of 10% tolerence applicable, i think you can also ask to see the proof.
Old 6th June 2007, 11:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
No point with the colored photocopy - I have it but they are just too savvy, they wouldn't punch a photocopy in any case..........

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks